Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Mixing drinks - Super Potions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Mixing drinks - Super Potions Reply with quote

I was wondering if it is a good idea to mix up solutions like carb and elecrolyte pre-race, now that we are approaching warmer temps?

If you do mix electrolyte powder with a crab powder, should the % of carb in the drink be reduced. Confused

ANd what about adding a few extras like Creatine/HMB, sodium citrate/phosphate, protein powders, fruit juice, salt tablets, etc? How would that affect your drink and your stomach if mixed together?

I've read a fair bit on various types of powder you can buy, but there hasn't been much said on mixing things together.

Anyone got info, or mix things up themselves?
Very Happy
thinman220

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was a product developer like High 5 I would probably say don't do it as you have to take supplements like drugs, you never know how they mix so contact your supplier.
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

sounds like a horrible idea...

i use go electrolyte which (i think) only has a slightly reduced carb/energy level from their other stuff.
Born in the Water

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When out training on the bike i use the 'super drink that covers every need' AKA Vimto and have the odd day where i use PSP22, usually the week before a race, but i find it to expensive to use everytime i go out on the bike. A bag of Haribo in the back pocket helps to keep my energy levels up.

When racing it is PSP22 all the way, on a sprint distance i carry a energy gel and have a coouple on an olympic just in case i need them.

Have never thought about mixing as i thought that it was only the longer distances that you had to worry about the other stuff, like salt tablets and things and you wont catch me doing many of those, olympic is long enough for me Laughing .
andy collier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i wouldn't bother to mix them... whichever sports drink suits you plus take some salt tablets if you're going long enough for hyponatremia to be an issue

sodium phosphate i think definitely not on race day - apparently it affects calcium metabolism which can screw up your HR. My sodium phosphate supplier actually warns you not to do this.

there are other things that might be good, such as MCTs and glycerol (as recommended in the triathlete's training bible), but the jury seems to be out (especially on glycerol; for every recommendation you read there's a warning)

but if you try it and it works, let me know!
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

would be interested to hear more about the sodium phosphate. I used to build up on andrews liver salts before races to try and cut out some lactate acid. Didnt want to overdo it though for the obvious reason Embarassed

But having attended a presentation on sodium citrate on sports performance earlier in the year (they are still doing tests) it seems this stuff is brill at cutting out loads of lactate acid and greatly improves performance without side effects.

You do however have to take a good quantity of it. Think it was 0.5g per kg body weight before a race!

I bought some systitis cure sachets for the east grinstead tri. hard to tell whether it helped or not. But this cost me 5 and I was still only taking a quarter of what I needed.

If anyone knows where I can buy pure sodium citrate I'd love to know.....?
Smile
andy collier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re the sodium phosphate i only have the tub left god knows what i did with the bumph; but try www.e-caps.com (which is where I got it from) they have loads of info, most of which as you might guess supports their various pills, potions and powders.

sodium phosphate seems to be pretty good from my experience of it, although its always difficult to form an objective view when you can't clone yourself and race against yourself without it
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some New Era Natural Phospahte pills on my desk. Gives no indication what dosage should be though or how much you can max-out on.

I agree, and especially in triathlons where courses and distances vary considerably. You'd have to carry out a test on a number of athletes with similar diets on a time trial
andy collier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can give you recommended doses from my powder - 6 grams (1 teaspoonful) 4 times a day, with a large glass of fresh orange juice; don't take on race day; allow 2-4 weeks between loading cycles

the orange juice is to prevent it burning your throat (its highly alkaline)

the 2-4 week gap is so your bones dont crumble away (inhibits calcium take up)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: