Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Gel saddles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sue

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Gel saddles Reply with quote

Hi Ya,
just wondered thoughts on gel saddles, are they so much better than "saddles", and how do I find the right one (if there is such a thing) especially if I need to order on line with not having a good bike store around ( I really mean very close since havent time to travel to one) Any online sites that can help me to decide and buy from? Although I've been ok in the few sprint tri's I have done, I am doing the London to Brighton Bike ride which is slightly further!!
Advice welcome Smile
Robert

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Sue!

I'm a cyclist who's experimenting with tri's, so here's my 2p's worth:

The best saddles in the long term are leather. Brooks are the best. However, they are heavy and require about 1000miles under them before they mould themselves to fit your derriere. So, gel saddles are a useful way of getting the moulding without the weight or time. Personally, I tend to prefer the ultra-light, hard as rocks, type of saddles but Darryl will prob say that's coz I'm a hard-a***...

Selle Italia are pretty good gels - not sure of websites but Evans stock them (www.evanscycles.com).

HTH,
Rob
Daz

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue,

Yes I'd def recommend buying gel. Shop around and try to find something you think would be suitable. Hop on a few bikes in store to get an idea.

Remember, in triathlons on the road you want your bike to absorb as much of the vibrations as possible. If you have to cycle an olympic, half (or full) ironman distance on the bike over a rough road (inc potholes etc), you dont want to be using a hard leather seat Crying or Very sad It's ok for cyclists using off road cycle tracks and velodromes as they don't have this problem. And MTBs have built in suspension.

Some bikes are better than others at absorbing the vibrations. If you have a carbon seatpost, or carbon frame then this will help.

Best shop around. Selle Italia are pretty good. I have only bought the one and found it does the trick, very light and just right size. One thing to watch for though is the whether or not you can attach your existing saddle/falt wing. I have had a few problems with my selle italia.
andy collier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a 'look in' racing saddle which is fine for me

but a friend threw away two gel saddles before he found one he could live with (training for the full 112 though)

try it in the shop, then suck it and see
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: