Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wetsuit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr dre

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Wetsuit Reply with quote

Off to get a first wetsuit this weekend as I have just entered an event on 6th July that will need one (www.justracinguk.com any else ? ) I am thinking of the Orca Speedsuit for 150 from TriUK. ( going to a nearby tri shop to try it on and then order from them as the local shop are selling it for 200, is this a bit naughty?)

A few questions for those in the know

Any comments on the Orce SSuit?
Any tips for buying - sizing ?
And tips on open water swimming ?
I am a good swimmer will the suit make it better ?
How can I practice transitioning with it ?
Are the suits fragile - will I damage it if not careful?

cheers

Dre
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doc,

I don't know what the Orca suits are like personally but I've heard they are a good buy.

I only know that you need to try and buy a suit that fits nice and tight. You'll prob need to go for somethign a size lower than what feels comfortable. As long as you are able to move your limbs freely and you're not too restricted around the neck (buy some lubricant at the same time - petroleum jelly damamges the suit) then it will be fine. The tighter the fit, the less water will seep into your suit when swimming.

You'll find you will swim a lot faster in a swim suit due to theextra buoyancy and less drag/resistance of the lower body/legs under water. For me personally I'm probably about 1:30-2mins quicker in a wetsuit over 1500m. But you have to remember that in a mass start for instance, that you can easily get knocked about and lose your rhythem, go too wide or even go off course. So be too disappointed if your wetsuit doesn't have a major impact. Can you practise in the suit beforehand in a local lido, pond, etc? Or even swimming pool?

I have a little bit more difficulty getting my wetsuit off, because I experience quite a lot of giddyness when I exit a long swim. You can probably find a good webpage on how to remove wetsuits in transition. 220 had a section on it a few months back I think. Generally when you get out of the swim you need to try and take off your cap and goggles, then pull down the zip cord at the back and start to wrestle out your shoulders and arms so the top of the suit is now hanging at your waiste. Once you arrive at transition, drop the goggs and hat and work the wetsuit down form the waiste until you reach your calves. Then the tricky bit is pulling it off your ankles. If you have good balance you can possibly do this with your hands, but I think most step on the rubber with their feet. If you have some lubricant then rub some around your ankles and wrists beforehand to help take the suit off. Very Happy

I'm still having probs getting the bugger off......but learning/getting better. I think suit technology is improving every year and they are gettign easier to remove. I have a hydrofoil QR from a few years ago which I though was pretty good. However, when I watch the professionals take off their wetsuits they seem to do it with such ease and the wetsuits seem very flimsy. I think the answer is in the word 'professionals' !
Rolling Eyes
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Wetsuits Reply with quote

Just to enlarge on something that Darryl said earlier, do remember that you are buying a WETsuit, not a DRYsuit! The ingress of water is quite deliberate and is essential as it acts as a barrier to the cold as it gets heated by the body. So, yes, the suit should be a good fit, but "loose" enough around the neck in particular to allow some water in. Having a small amount of water inside the suit is just one of the reasons why it is easier to take the suit off quickly. As an experiment, try timing how long it takes you to strip off from a totally dry wetsuit - probably about as long as it takes to get it on! Once it is lined with water, it should take no more than 20 seconds. This is something you can practice at your local pool, perhaps after a 1000-1500m swim using the wet suit, just to get used to the way in which the suit alters your normal stroke, body angle, etc. If you don't knock off 2-3 minutes off your 1500m time in the pool, then ask for your money back!

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
dr dre

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the info Darryl / Giantman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: