Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Bilateral breathing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

always seem to get out of breath on bilateral breathing after a few lengths....mind you i get out of breath with 2-stroke breathing too Embarassed
dr dre

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl wrote:
always seem to get out of breath on bilateral breathing after a few lengths....mind you i get out of breath with 2-stroke breathing too Embarassed

snorkel ?

Daz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea - i guess it would have to be transparent though.....just like the hand paddles and pull-buoys i use in races Very Happy
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bilateral breathing is the way to go as it keeps everything (body roll etc) nice and even - the downside is that for most people breathing every three strokes in a race is not enough.

This is overcome by adopting a 3-2-3-2 breathing pattern ie three strokes breath left side, two strokes breath left side then three strokes breath right side two strokes breath right side etc etc. This means you are doing two breaths on each side before switching to the other side and just gains you that "sneaky" extra breath.

To start with it's a bit like playing fizz buzz while your swimming but you soon get used to it and it becomes second nature.
anna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been given an exercise to do to help with breathing both sides, (you may already know this but if not here goes)

as at my lesson it was pointed out that I am pulling my body down by not streching forward long enough when I breath. It seems that I do strech ok on my non breathing strokes.

So I now swim lenghths and lengths holding my arrm out in front of me and swimming on my side for three seconds on each breath. I am supposed to do each breath on stroke 3 then 5 then 7 but usually can only manage a max of 5 strokes between breaths.

It seems to be working I am slowly getting better my stamina is still poor but I am drinking less pool water each week.

anna
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: