Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Giant

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paisley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Giant Reply with quote

I have been looking at changing my existing frame (Cannondale CAAD 5) which i love but is too long and causing me back and neck problems with over reaching. I have been offered a Giant Composite as a good price but have heard all sorts of reports on Giant compact frames (My training frame is an old Giant peloton-which is the standard design)and would be interested in hearing peoples views especially those that already ride a Giant and especially a composite .
The concerns are wheels wobble over 50mph and short wheel base (but I have it on good authority this isnt any different from a standard set up)...is this fact or fiction

Its the 2003 model by the way
JimboP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 2003 TCR aero which I've been riding for nearly a year. Good stiff frame which transmits the power well.. a little harsh perhaps but the composite frame will obviously feel a bit more comfortable for longer rides.

Heard people say they are a little on the long side which might explain why a Medium frame fits me perfectly and I'm 6'1".. I tried the Large and it felt too big and strecthed especially with the aerobars. Depends on your body shape so definately worth checking.

With regards to speed wobble, I don't really see the compact geometry being an issue since the wheel base should still be the same for a regular geometry frame (you jest have a sloping top tube and shorter seat tube). I do feel much more in control on a compact frame on technical courses though since it's a lot easier to get your body over the top tube on tight corners.
FaST

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known people who have had speed wobbles on Giant TCR's (alloy). Not put me off as I've not long bought one - if it wobbles at 50mph on the flat courses, I'll be more than happy.
flyingelephant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots around. The finish is not with the best and only just average.
Compact frames suit those with shorter legs and long arms and backs. So if you suffer with over-reach on your canondale, you really need to check out the fit of the giant or your problems may get longer!
FaST

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put a 90mm stem on a medium and no problems. Infact have been tampering with arm rests on tri bars whilst building it cause my knee was catching.

I'm 5'10", medium reach, long legs, brown hair, blue eyes and non smoker...and if I win, I would like to travel and open my own salon.
The Bionik Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just how often do you get over 50mph? not very even on a desent !

anyone want a fight??
Paisley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bionik - You havent ridden the hills between here and Ashbourne then

We usually get close on one hill during our long sunday rides

anyway YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

My mate Ade the Unstoppable has just lent me his carbon giant to try out and see if i like them because it is getting in the way of his decorating (well thats what i told him) ,its fitted with HED trispokes and HED aerobars too so Im off to play Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: