Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Norseman Xtreme 07 ... whose in !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
markie r




Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 12909

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the Brits finished, tremendous effort guys.
_________________
ffs I don't actually live under a bridge in Norway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
younggun




Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Posts: 4443
Location: Purf, Orstrayleeahh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain nugget wrote:
craig7, 50th Exclamation excellent result.
With a 54 minute swim (that can't be right??!!). Very Happy
_________________
My blog about giving up the desk job and becoming a full-time coach or sports professional : www.adamyoungblog.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Swimmingdunce




Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 633
Location: Lincoln

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic effort. Well done guys.
_________________
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spike




Joined: 30 Apr 2005
Posts: 5875
Location: Ipswich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

younggun wrote:
With a 54 minute swim (that can't be right??!!). Very Happy

And I was under the hour, which is unheard of Smile

I've heard that there was a favourable current for the first half of the swim. That figures: we seemed to get to the bonfire (!) very quickly.
_________________
"Spike you are a true genius" - littlefatwelshman 23 Sep 2006
"You soft southern jessie" - Toyota_Crown 24 Sep 2006
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toyota_Crown




Joined: 07 Mar 2005
Posts: 15918
Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmon spike - wheres the report m8 Question

wot you get up to for 8 1/2 hrs on the bike, and 5 1/3 hrs on the run? Exclamation

quite impressed youve got the energy and mental strength to tap some keys this morning Smile gonna be able to compete in some reasonable shape at Wensley then? just a sprint event for you now surely Laughing
_________________
EnduroManChamp:Euro2010-12,Deca12, Quin11,D10
HH1x2 HM30 1&3 SRock1 BelC2 GP2 VLM2h58 FellsM
Ard2 D2 FMan-11 TT2 Out16 10.15 CDS5 Ang3 IMUK-11 Jx1 Ult6 BW3 Stap1 Hel23 IMW11 Hx6 BxD1 Wx9 RR8
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+4T=147IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17


Last edited by Toyota_Crown on Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Spike




Joined: 30 Apr 2005
Posts: 5875
Location: Ipswich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, then. For a change, I won't do a normal report. Instead, I present, "What I learned on my holidays in Norway":

1. 2:15am is the wrong time to eat breakfast.

2. You ought to be glad of an extra 20k on the bike if it means you can swim in 15.5 degree water.

3. When you jump off the deck of a car ferry, you go down further than you'd expect.

4. No, really, even further than that.

5. If you find an area of fresh water in a fjord, it's colder than the rest of the fjord.

6. It's really easy to sight on a bonfire at 5:30 in the morning.

7. People who include a section of seaweed covered boulders in the middle of a swim have a sense of humour.

8. Tri top, cycle top, arm warmers, gloves, gilet and windproof jacket may be just about enough upper body clothing for a northern hemisphere triathlon in August.

9. Geilo is pronounced "Yigh-lo".

10. You should put your handbrake on if you get out of your car on a mountain road.

11. You don't want to be overtaken by somebody who's driving a car while taking photos of a cow crossing the road.

12. A slice of ham rolled up in flat bread is tasty and easy to eat on a bike.

13. It's not good to start cramping on only the third climb of five.

14. Supporting an athlete in Norseman is a difficult job.

15. Salty fish can cure cramp.

16. 8mph on the flat is considered a good speed in a triathlon if you happen to be on the top of Imingfjell with the wind againist you.

17. Salty fish are in fact made of liquorice.

18. 42km is a stupid distance to run at the end of a triathlon.

19. You don't actually have to run 42km at the end of Norseman.

20. 11km is a long way to walk uphill at a constant 9% gradient.

21. When somebody calls a hill "Zombie Hill", it may be that the name is apt, and not just that person naming it for effect.

22. I am greatly in debt to my support crew.

23. It's wonderful to finish.

24. I am greatly in debt to my support crew. (Sorry, if I mentioned that already, it needs mentioning again.)
_________________
"Spike you are a true genius" - littlefatwelshman 23 Sep 2006
"You soft southern jessie" - Toyota_Crown 24 Sep 2006
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toyota_Crown




Joined: 07 Mar 2005
Posts: 15918
Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quick, nice report m8. In idiot attention span format too.

12. Well done for inventing the sandwich.

10. I take it the car didnt roll down the moutain.

3. Did your goggles fly off when you dived in, or did you just jump feet first, not that that would make you a wuss or anything tho?

18. So how far were the swim, bike and run distances then, compared to a common IM.
_________________
EnduroManChamp:Euro2010-12,Deca12, Quin11,D10
HH1x2 HM30 1&3 SRock1 BelC2 GP2 VLM2h58 FellsM
Ard2 D2 FMan-11 TT2 Out16 10.15 CDS5 Ang3 IMUK-11 Jx1 Ult6 BW3 Stap1 Hel23 IMW11 Hx6 BxD1 Wx9 RR8
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+4T=147IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Luke




Joined: 22 Apr 2005
Posts: 521
Location: Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
OK, then. For a change, I won't do a normal report. Instead, I present, "What I learned on my holidays in Norway":

1. 2:15am is the wrong time to eat breakfast.

2. You ought to be glad of an extra 20k on the bike if it means you can swim in 15.5 degree water.

3. When you jump off the deck of a car ferry, you go down further than you'd expect.

4. No, really, even further than that.

5. If you find an area of fresh water in a fjord, it's colder than the rest of the fjord.

6. It's really easy to sight on a bonfire at 5:30 in the morning.

7. People who include a section of seaweed covered boulders in the middle of a swim have a sense of humour.

8. Tri top, cycle top, arm warmers, gloves, gilet and windproof jacket may be just about enough upper body clothing for a northern hemisphere triathlon in August.

9. Geilo is pronounced "Yigh-lo".

10. You should put your handbrake on if you get out of your car on a mountain road.

11. You don't want to be overtaken by somebody who's driving a car while taking photos of a cow crossing the road.

12. A slice of ham rolled up in flat bread is tasty and easy to eat on a bike.

13. It's not good to start cramping on only the third climb of five.

14. Supporting an athlete in Norseman is a difficult job.

15. Salty fish can cure cramp.

16. 8mph on the flat is considered a good speed in a triathlon if you happen to be on the top of Imingfjell with the wind againist you.

17. Salty fish are in fact made of liquorice.

18. 42km is a stupid distance to run at the end of a triathlon.

19. You don't actually have to run 42km at the end of Norseman.

20. 11km is a long way to walk uphill at a constant 9% gradient.

21. When somebody calls a hill "Zombie Hill", it may be that the name is apt, and not just that person naming it for effect.

22. I am greatly in debt to my support crew.

23. It's wonderful to finish.

24. I am greatly in debt to my support crew. (Sorry, if I mentioned that already, it needs mentioning again.)


25. People who enter the Norseman are complete nutters

Fowey should be a walk in the park (hills - pah!).

Well done,

Luke
_________________
ONER moment of madness... - 78 miles, 24 hours, 2 feet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob_T




Joined: 05 Dec 2006
Posts: 4428
Location: gosport

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done to all finishers
spike respect mate, nice one Cool
and like the report you may have started a new trend Wink
_________________
was fat then thin, then fat again then thin, then huge. on me way back from huge hopefully to normal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
markie r




Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 12909

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
OK, then. For a change, I won't do a normal report. Instead, I present, "What I learned on my holidays in Norway":

1. 2:15am is the wrong time to eat breakfast.

2. You ought to be glad of an extra 20k on the bike if it means you can swim in 15.5 degree water.

3. When you jump off the deck of a car ferry, you go down further than you'd expect.

4. No, really, even further than that.

5. If you find an area of fresh water in a fjord, it's colder than the rest of the fjord.

6. It's really easy to sight on a bonfire at 5:30 in the morning.

7. People who include a section of seaweed covered boulders in the middle of a swim have a sense of humour.

8. Tri top, cycle top, arm warmers, gloves, gilet and windproof jacket may be just about enough upper body clothing for a northern hemisphere triathlon in August.

9. Geilo is pronounced "Yigh-lo".

10. You should put your handbrake on if you get out of your car on a mountain road.

11. You don't want to be overtaken by somebody who's driving a car while taking photos of a cow crossing the road.

12. A slice of ham rolled up in flat bread is tasty and easy to eat on a bike.

13. It's not good to start cramping on only the third climb of five.

14. Supporting an athlete in Norseman is a difficult job.

15. Salty fish can cure cramp.

16. 8mph on the flat is considered a good speed in a triathlon if you happen to be on the top of Imingfjell with the wind againist you.

17. Salty fish are in fact made of liquorice.

18. 42km is a stupid distance to run at the end of a triathlon.

19. You don't actually have to run 42km at the end of Norseman.

20. 11km is a long way to walk uphill at a constant 9% gradient.

21. When somebody calls a hill "Zombie Hill", it may be that the name is apt, and not just that person naming it for effect.

22. I am greatly in debt to my support crew.

23. It's wonderful to finish.

24. I am greatly in debt to my support crew. (Sorry, if I mentioned that already, it needs mentioning again.)


well done Spike, I knew you'd love it over there!
_________________
ffs I don't actually live under a bridge in Norway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spike




Joined: 30 Apr 2005
Posts: 5875
Location: Ipswich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
That was quick

If only I could race that quickly Very Happy

Toyota_Crown wrote:
12. Well done for inventing the sandwich.

No, no. This was completely different. Flat bread, rolled up, you see?

Toyota_Crown wrote:
10. I take it the car didnt roll down the moutain.

No, but it did roll off the edge of the road and into a ditch. Fortunately, not my support car. Driver was in tears.

Toyota_Crown wrote:
3. Did your goggles fly off when you dived in, or did you just jump feet first, not that that would make you a wuss or anything tho?

For a start, diving is not allowed in tri so I jumped Smile . Goggles were between my neoprene wuss hat and official race cap.

Toyota_Crown wrote:
18. So how far were the swim, bike and run distances then, compared to a common IM.

God only knows what the swim was. I measured 197k on the bike and 42.75k on the marathon (we don't call it a "run" here).

Photos to follow...
_________________
"Spike you are a true genius" - littlefatwelshman 23 Sep 2006
"You soft southern jessie" - Toyota_Crown 24 Sep 2006
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spike




Joined: 30 Apr 2005
Posts: 5875
Location: Ipswich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norsemandave. (Note the stubble length - it was longer by the time he got to Gaustablikk. Wink )


Gingeadams: "How far???"


craig7 & Spike: "We may be gone some time..."


"And this is where you'll be leaving the boat..."


Sunrise at T1 - swimmers on their way...


The support crew's long wait at T1


Spike in T1. A rare shot with no nudity.


Spike layering up for the descent off Imingfjell.


Spike: "Can I stop now?"


craig7's support crew (Diane & Sam)


Spike: "Oi! Keep your hands off my support crew."
Norsemandave: "She won't let go."


craig7: "Did you spill my Gatorade?"


Gingeadams: "Help, I'm surrounded by mad people!"


Gingeadams: "Actually, I feel quite at home."


Traditional finishers photo with Gaustatoppen mountain finish in the background ( Rolling Eyes )

_________________
"Spike you are a true genius" - littlefatwelshman 23 Sep 2006
"You soft southern jessie" - Toyota_Crown 24 Sep 2006
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Legs of Jelly




Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Posts: 6408
Location: Cheltenham, I believe I have my mojo back!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for finishing guys!! Cool Cannot wait to see the pics.
_________________
Race Hard Suffer In Silence

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toyota_Crown




Joined: 07 Mar 2005
Posts: 15918
Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics. Appeared to be a few folks in T1 - so did a few of you swim together, drafting as a pack?

Spike wrote:

For a start, diving is not allowed in tri so I jumped Smile . Goggles were between my neoprene wuss hat and official race cap.

I look forward to seeing that wuss cap again at Wensleydale. In fact i was so impressed i've even bort one of my own now.
_________________
EnduroManChamp:Euro2010-12,Deca12, Quin11,D10
HH1x2 HM30 1&3 SRock1 BelC2 GP2 VLM2h58 FellsM
Ard2 D2 FMan-11 TT2 Out16 10.15 CDS5 Ang3 IMUK-11 Jx1 Ult6 BW3 Stap1 Hel23 IMW11 Hx6 BxD1 Wx9 RR8
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+4T=147IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TomW




Joined: 22 Aug 2005
Posts: 1177

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say a MASSIVE WELL DONE to everyone Very Happy I am truly in awe of you all.

In an age of mass participation, all singing and all dancing european Ironman events with cheer leaders and lazer shows Ironman IS becoming the new marathon. That's not to devalue the achievement of competeing a 'normal' event but you guys are really taking it back to it's roots and exploring the boundaries of what is possible.

Can't wait to read all the race reports, Spike's kicked them off in style Very Happy

thanks for the inspiration,

T.
_________________
Our new blog, FREE every Monday... 50 Weeks to Kona? (Now with added training diary!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 27 of 30
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.