Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Balance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Balance Reply with quote

Just remembered somethign and thought I'd share it Rolling Eyes .

Was in the gym about 3 months ago and got chatting to one of the staff there. He's a guy who does personal trainign only I think (never actually seen him take classes). He's a bit full of himself and it was my turn to get his speech on how a personal trainer is exactly what I need to get fitter in the gym (of course it's not free!).

Anyways, told him I was fine, and then he asked what sports I did. Told him I did triathlons mainly and he went off on another speech on how he used to train professional cyclists in America (cant remember where exactly cos...well you know when people bull-sh*t you start to miss what they say! Very Happy ) and the most important aspect of trainign was BALANCE.

He said he could improve my bike times by 10% (which is stupid for a start!) just by improving my balance. He said the best thing I could do was stand on a swiss ball and get used to keeping myself upright. This would all transfer into quicker times on the bike.......yer right!

Anyone else heard anything like this?
old 139

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...........no but I have been told that if I stopped drinking so much my bike times would improve! Reckon I must be lucky, cos my gym has V cool, well informed instructors - some of whom are do ironman - including a couple of ladies!
dr dre

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a PT at my gym getting people to stand on a gym ball and then throw a swiss ball at them to catch and throw back.?? dont know why ? looks very dangerous
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing exactly, take a bad tumble off a swiss ball and you aint gonna be able to compete let alone save secs!
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exagerrated and using misplaced terminology but he is partly right. He's talking about core stability - essential for swimming (which is why I'm crap), proper posture on the bike (no probs there) and for preventing a stitch on the run (another reason I'm crap).

I guess the time saving is if you're a flabby sod like me - not a 4th season triathlete who's looking to do an IM.

BTW, he's a muppet if he's saying balance. Balance is only one of the consequences of having a strong core.
Sue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a dangerous way to work on balance Shocked it wouldnt just be core stability that you were working on.

Don't think I could manage to actually get on one, would need a ladder -Daz, tell him you are v. interested and could he please demonstrate Wink
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres very little you can do to your swimming and running with balance for a start. balance on the bike is improved......by riding a bike! not standing on a swiss ball Laughing
rob, its the short fella - not gavin or the hulk
not_connor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read an artical this week about Balance on a bike, helps with cornering and puting feet into shoes and taking them out. and the what they were saying was find a car park (one not being used at the time.... Laughing )

well any were that is roomy and you can ride with out being knocked off. then put a water bottle on the floor, you can put it on a box or books if it is to low (reduse the hight as you go) Twisted Evil and slowly ride past it and pick it up, the slower the better. then once you have masterd it on both sides, lie the bottle down and do it again..... Laughing
Andy_S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better idea would be to get on the mountain bike and go trail riding? Need plenty of balance for that.
Cougie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Pilates sessions for your core strength.
It will definitely help the swimming and running disciplines, and I believe that British Cycling lot do some core stability sessions too, so they must know what they are on about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: