Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
inspired by ironman uk....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magicmatt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: inspired by ironman uk.... Reply with quote

after watching imuk at the weekend i have a strange desire to go long....
am thinking of lanzarote,
is it really the toughest?
am i likely to survive?
do i have enough time to train?
excuse the ignorance!
Cleo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the crowd....I was sucked in a couple of years ago!

If you're in reasonably good shape to start now with training in the bank you have plenty of time to train for Lanzarote. Drawback is the long winter rides! Of course, it's a perfect excuse to go to Lanza for a reccie in the middle of winter!

I'll let others talk about relative difficulty of the course etc.

There should be a good crowd of TTers there.
Love-Tubs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my next IM race, in roughly 8yrs time (don't ask) I'll begin preparing for it 2.5yrs in advance Shocked Bearing in mind I'll be 50 and have had a massive break from racing.

1. 6 months of just gently getting back into running, swimming and biking on regular weekly basis, with two or 3 coached core/fixer sessions in each week - Physio visit at start, middle and end of this period for the all clear to progress to phase 2.

2. Phase 2:Year one. Building progressively on the first six months, with targeted quad, calf, hams… in fact all the cycling related groups (and their antagonists) to build power. Adding weekend rides and runs consistently - Physio every two months if need, then progress to IM year. Time trials and marathons throughout this year- structured & coached.

3. IM year, coached all the way, following a structured training plan with professional dietitional input - physio every two or 3 months.

Expensive, Oh yes…very! Worth it, look at it like this. One could spend that amount of cash on next years Audi, or whatever. But which memory will stay with you until your death-bed? Your Sub 12 IM time, say, or some dreary commodity?

Trust me, it’s a no-brainer.

Obviously, your age & experience etc etc will have a huge effect on how you are going to prep for it. However, do not underestimate how demanding an IM race is! I don’t mean to sound patronising when I say that. You see, I did underestimate it (and it’s so easy to do in these days of double and decca IM reports) and I paid the price with a disappointing (for me) time. Ok, there were variables out of my control that affected my performance but I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who suffered that aspect…but again, most problems are a function of poor planning. Unless it’s a flood…Rolling Eyes

Hope this helps.
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was seriously considering this next year, and still am to some extent but looks like i may do it 2010 now as after going 2:41 at London i changed my goals to go sub 2:30 next year providing i dont do it at Dorney on sunday Twisted Evil I have 1 years tri base and my thinking also is another solid year and then i will be even better prepared for them hills and that wind. I may only ever do one IM so it may as well be this one, which is arguably one of the toughest if not the toughest!

My opinion is anything is possible if you put the work in, although a bit of luck on the day helps after reading the bad luck stories from TT'ers at IMUK and Lanza this year. There are some far wiser heads here though that have experienced IM and especially this race and know how hard it will be!
cyclingnut

Location: Qualified Sports & Remedial Massage Therapist, Maidstone, Kent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to admit...im starting to succomb to this IM lark!!!...why oh why??

I said i would never do it, however, so far booked 2 half IM's for next year and i want to try IMUK and the new IM Mexico (looks great btw). Apparently though hubby is doing it and booked me in so it looks like i have no choice!!...bu**er!

might keep IMUK quiet from him though!

hopefully i will be brave enough and give it a bash!

Luckily enough for me i have a good coach, a good team and loads of support and with time i will hopefully be OK....Right???

CN x
SimonF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 7 tris over 2005 - 2006 but haven't done one since as i've been concentrating on running but i too am considering making a return for the IM in 2009. I'll always feel like it's unfinished business if i dont as i did the Weymouth Half with a view to doing a full IM.

trouble is the amount of training, 2 small kids and work make it difficult compared to just chucking on a pair of trainers.

Definite possibility though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: