Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Training with a cold

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonF

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Training with a cold Reply with quote

Great, i've got my first full marathon next weekend, training has been been going ok and I was all set for a cheeky 12 miler this w/e and we've all been struck with stinking colds. My little girl (18 months) had it so bad they kept in hospital last night for observation and checked for pneumonia which thankfully it wasn't. She's back home today.

Question is i feel minging (snot, watery eyes etc..) so cant see me doing anything before the race so it will have been 2 weeks of nothing before the race, does that still qualify as a taper ? Will i have a laboured run ?

I was looking forward to it but not so sure now.

On another note the trophy ceremony is 3.5 hours after the start (New Forest Marathon) which i think somehow i'll miss.
pooface

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't do anything to aid fitness now anyway, so your best bet is to go for full recovery, and do nothing until better. Hopefully by mid week it will have cleared and you can do a couple of loosener jogs, but any last minute training will certainly be detrimental with a cold (especially a bad one), and you may not recover in time. So rest up and fingers crossed it clears quickly. If you still have a week chances are it will, and so long as it's gone I don't think you should feel any effects in race. But you need to get rid of it before starting race.

Hope your daughter is well again soon. Good luck!
BEEF

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your fluids up, plenty of fruit and veg and rest up for a couple of days. When you start feeling better ease back in over a couple of days in the lead up to your race.

GOOD LUCK!

STARTING WEIGHT: 19st9lb
CURRENT WEIGHT:17st13lb
cyclingnut

Location: Qualified Sports & Remedial Massage Therapist, Maidstone, Kent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training now will only be junk miles and will only make the cold worse so best off getting loads of drugs and vits down your neck, rest up and wait until you are fully recovered.

Hopefully you should be OK in time for the run.

Enjoy the rest, you will probably end up having have the best run of your life now!

Good luck and hope you feel better.

CN x
Welsh Moz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the posts above. If you train now, you'll probably only delay your recovery. Any training benefits you might get will be significantly outweighed by the detrimental effects of illness. So rest up, drink plenty and feel confident in the fact that you've already done enough training to nail the marathon, because you really won't lose any fitness over the next week.
Fuzzy Dunlop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear your daughter is OK.

I suggest that you sleep as much as possible (the only way I recover from illness) and try and go for a run on Thursday or Friday (maybe just a 5 miler to loosen the legs a bit).

Think positively buddy, you've never tapered like this before - you'll be like a recoiled spring come race day.

Finlly, on the trophy point, if you win I'm sure they'll hold the ceremony for you.
SimonF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, i'm feeling better (and more importantly so is little Megan) and i'm like a coiled spring waiting for Sunday or as Borat would say "like a can of Pepsi".

Bring it on (cough, sneeze) Smile
BEEF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear you're feeling better!

Good luck!!!

SimonF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well im glad thats over, did the New Forest Marathon on Sunday and managed to get round even though the last 6 miles were really painful. First 13 miles in 2hr03mins and the next in 2hr49 so really blew up. Glad its done though and a stack in the ground for next time round.

Thanks for the encouragement.
BEEF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great effort Simon!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: