Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
First attempt at a Tri

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old 150

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: First attempt at a Tri Reply with quote

Now then I have never done a Tri before. I plan to do my first around May / June time.

I can do each of the disciplines quite easily, maybe not all that quickly.
I have managed 2 out of the 3 together at the moment.

By February I should be able to do all 3 I hope.

Should I start by doing a Sprint first or take it really steady at a full one ?

Any pointer would be much appreciated.

Also does anyone know of any suitable comps in Yorkshire Question
not_connor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

the first thing is decide in your self what distance you are happy with covering. some people go stright for the throat and go for IM first, but some like myself started at sprint distance, so it's up to you

at the moment i wouldn't worry about doing the events together I:E your own mini Tri, but just make sure you can complete the distance idividualy (after you have decided what distance they are.. Laughing ) then gradualy build and do brick sessions (2 events one after another). having said that thats my opinion and i know there are some people that like to know they can do the distances on after another, again your choice.

what are you times for the distances you have done and how did you feel when you had done them?

what part of Yorkshire you from and how far do you want to travel, as derby do a good one
old 150

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: I am from Leeds, Derby a bit further than I intended Reply with quote

But if nothing else comes up may entertain Derby.

Oh I have done 2k swim approx 55 mins but not going hard out at all,

Have done 30k on Bike in approx 1hr I think cant remember. But riding a tank of a bike.

I can do 6 mile in approx 40 mins. All the above times not in Brick form though.

Saying that only been training for around 6 weeks.
Andy_S

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't panic, I'm sure you'll be fine. Just to show where you're times fall I'll give you mine (or the closest distances I've done):

2k Swim - 60mins
35k bike - 1hr 19min (on MTB)
10k run - 56 mins

So you beat me on all three, I've been training 5 months. If you take a look at the times for events you'll see that races have people of all abilities, from serious athlete to fun runner.

Maybe you should introduce a long bike ride into your week, try to go over 2.5/3 hours (but build up to it over a few weeks if youíre not used to going that long). That'll get you used to exercising for longer and start to train your body to use fat for energy. You can take the ride nice and easy, no need to sprint. Take carb drinks with you, not water and something to eat like a power bar or banana. I do about 40/45 miles at an average of 15mph and take in a few hills but try to stick to the flat or gentle slope hill. For me, itís an opportunity to listen to my body to find out how itís going to do in a full endurance event.

I've not done all three events on the same day but often put two together. On Tuesday I do my long swim then go for 35k bike straight after. It's good to find out how you feel but needn't be too serious and stop if you're getting tired. Still got plenty of time, no need to over do it.

Tomorrow will be swim-run for the first time, hope to learn some things from that (but I've cut down on bike this week to allow for it, running tires me out!)

Good luck.
old 158

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not mention if you are already a member of a club? My advice would be to join a Tri club and possible a masters swimming club. You will be amazed how well you will progress through out the Winter month's. A coach or seasoned veterans will be able to help you with your technique and your swim times should reflect this. I started with sprint's but moved up to standard distance's within a few month's.

You will become addicted to training, but do not over do it, recovery is everything. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
Sue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As scotboy said
Quote:
You will become addicted to training, but do not over do it, recovery is everything

--certainly agree since yes you do get addicted but do need to keep an eye on easy weeks, etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: