Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Run Training - Any advise would be usefull?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old 161

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Run Training - Any advise would be usefull? Reply with quote

I'm currently looking into the training habits of other the triathlon community and need the input from as many people as can help.
For an olympic tri, should training be based around puerly 10k workouts stuff (i.e. 7-8 runs a week of between 30-60 mins, including hills & interval sessions)
or from a longer distance based training plan (i.e. Marathon based milage - 3 * 90 min runs a week and 3 * 35+ min recovery runs)

anybody wish to share any pearls on this one?

ta

Evil or Very Mad
Andy_S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from being experienced and I've never read a training book but 7-8 run sessions a week sounds like a lot. I do three runs, three bike, two/three swims and a gym session a week. That makes 10 sessions amounting to around 11 hours depending on how I feel. I tend to put maximum effort and importance into my weakest sport at the sacrifice of my strongest. At the moment that means three 10k runs a week at the expense of two bike rides that become 45-60 minute gentle turbo sessions if I feel tired from running.

I think the correct way to train is to do three sessions of each sport a week, having one long session for endurance, one for speed and one for recovery/technique. The long session should be longer than race distance as you'll be training your fuel system to use a high percentage of fat as fuel and should be at a reduced aerobic rate. For me that means 4k swim, 70k bike and 10k run as I've not built up run distance yet. I plan to up my run distance soon to around 14k for the one long run a week.

The other two sessions should be shorter but at a faster rate. The only way to get fast is to train fast and to do that you need to do it over shorter distances. For me its 1600m swim, 35k bike and 6-8k run (which will start once I've built up my long run distance). However, there's no real need to train for speed at the moment as we're deep into the 'base training' part of the season. The idea is to train your system to cope with the endurance of the sport and season your muscles and joints ready for the speed training that runs January-March. That means the one speed session during this time of the year becomes another casual swim/bike/run to stretch yourself out and concentrate on technique.

This is my interpretation of the training required for Olympic tri and I'm up for correction from more experienced people here. I'm new to this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: