Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Why more running events?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying really hard to get them into a race, a few did Sevenoaks last year and one was a top 30 finisher but that's because they're GB runners and can make up for a poor swim. I've got to beat them with a super strong swim and good solid bike. Maybe make up a lot of time in transition. But, because I'm an ex-huge fat lard ar$e I can't really loose (as long as I don't finish 2 hours behind them!) Trouble with Sevenoaks is it's an 8k run so a bit longer than the usual 5k sprint. I can run 23 min 5k but not so good on 8k as I get tired by then.

My work colleage says he can swim a sub-six minute 400m without ever going swimming, last time he swam was on holiday a few years ago in the fun pool. I let him think he can otherwise he'll never enter Twisted Evil
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy I know a few people like that. 6mins for 400m without ever swimming? hahaha, can you let me know when he does a tri so I can come along with a box of popcorn to watch the swim Laughing
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of all things, I think swimming is the sport that gets the least credibility for its difficultly - especially once you get longer than about 100 meters. The number of people I see in the 'fast lane' who blatantly cannot swim is amazing. There seems to be a gross over-estimation of ability in the general public - they never swim, think about how far 400 meters is on land, and think it would take them no time at all.

the fools.

At least we all know we can't swim!

I think I made an error on my Thames Turbo entry. I put 9 mins down for the swim, which was my time 2 years ago, in my first open water tri! Can I change this on the day?
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some are great fun to watch (if not in your name). My favs are:

- the speed merchant - starts out at 20secs a length for 6 lengths to look speedy. then gets tired, stops and finally climb out.

- the splasher - slams their whole arm down in the water to create tidal waves in the lane

- the watcher - does 2-4 lengths at a time, then stands and stares for 10mins before doing same

- the floater - (usually in slower lanes but some can 'get lost' accidentaly). strange forms of doggy paddle, breast-stroke or sculling. take about 1 hour a length only because the waves of those passing them actually pull them along!

- the nuisance - for me, those that do flip turns despite the fact there are people resting at the side. these also tend to be the ones that overtake when someone coming from other direction and are first to moan when someone is 0.5secs a length slower than them and holding them up!

the floating plaster - usually found moving along the bottom of the pool. not too pleasant to look at but they go about their own business and never get in your way
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl wrote:
Blimey! Only prob with drafting behind a van, caravan, lorry (or tractor if you are that slow Mad ) is that they might not see you. If they slam on their breaks you might find yourself doing a great impression of a pizza on their back Pissed Off

It's not the "only" problem - even if the driver lightly presses on the brake to slow down by 5mph, your reaction time will never be fast enough and, even if it were, your puny little pieces of rubber called brakes are no match for a car's! You'll end up as a pizza, sooner or later!
AndyS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a very well built lady (if you know what I mean!) at the pool who does tumble turns. She's a very good strong swimmer but because of her size she gets a huge wave of water when she turns that exits the pool and soaks anyone within about three feet of the side. She swims in the lane next to the womans changing room so gets the people who drift into the pool room and stand at the side. Brilliant fun to watch.
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, that sounds great! Although I wouldnt like to be in her lane when she turns!! Shocked Mad

I like to find things like that to watch when in the pool. Takes my mind off the boredom of swimming
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the layout of our pool means that all the girlies have to walk alongside the fast lane to get from their changing room to the jacuzzi. My bilateral breathing has improved no end!
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. bet you're a bit speedier with the help of a 'dorsal fin' as well? Laughing
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz, can I add to your list "the double arm backstroker", who manges to take up a whole lane on their own, wiping out anything that may be coming in the opposite direction and completely oblivious to the mayhem they cause Mad Evil or Very Mad

I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it.
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's me in a race, when the marshals aren't watching! Twisted Evil

But I do make sure there's no-one else in my lane first....
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowpoke, good shout! totally forgot about that 'type'. thats got to be the most ugly 'stroke' ever!? Siamese Twins
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: