Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Copenhagen 2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD-ScarabTri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Ironman Copenhagen 2017 Reply with quote

My first ever start of a topic !

I just love Danish pastries.

I'm in for this one, as you might guess - who else has signed up ?

4th long distance for me and having just hit the big 50 its starting to look like the last chance saloon for my pb (as I'm doing Wales in 2018).

Flights and accommodation (apartment in the centre) booked for me, wife and amazingly daughter (I think Danish lads might have had something to do with that) but at least I'll get some good pictures taken of me.

Doing a few events over the next 6 weeks for fun which will actually be a decent base as long as I don't pick up an injury then 3 months of just concentrating on this 'race' (I won't be going to Kona in 2017).

Lots of past articles and more recently youtube videos to give a good idea of what's in store but any advice from past competitors would be very welcome. Just hoping it's not too hot.
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not much I can add over the existing threads from previous years, but let me know if you need help with translation or similar.

The swim is sheltered and dead easy, especially with the "timer starts when passing the mat". No rush, just pop in and keep calm.

Bike you just need to pray not to have wind from N or NE as it'll make the coast line stretch really hard with not a lot of gain when coming back on the inland route. Take care at the start as well, I saw lots of crashes in town when people milled out over the small bridges and paths.

Run you'll either love or hate. Four laps of thundering noise and support. When I went we had 200.000 spectators along a 5k tarmac stretch - that's packed.

After the race, agree where to meet if you are meeting someone. Be aware there are two(!) courtyards next to each other. Mad

Heat was probably a one-off when I raced in 2015. I'd say pray for heat over wind and rain, it's not a good course for bad weather.
snowie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in & it will be my last ever full (my knee is kaput)

i'm hoping for a good swim 1:10 or less, quick bike 5hrs ish& a very slow trot walk around 6 hrs to enjoy the atmosphere.

thanks for the heads (chrace) up on the bike start i do go out rather quick
Muriel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in. Hotel, flights all booked. Thinking of bike transport because I literally CBA with bike boxes etc etc.

2nd stab at this distance. 1st was a DNF. Just trying everything to make sure I start first. Exactly half way through a winte prep before starting a 3month race specific from training peaks.
mossym

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great race, did it last year. we had a tail wind up the coast which made that section very fast.

run was warm, saw a lot go down needing help. its a great run though, the support is superb.

one you take the left turn off the coast onto the country roads take care. a lot of the cyclists were all over the road on the windy bends, i was 5ish mark as well on the bike (5:15) and was moving a good bit faster than a lot around me, amount of times they drifted off their line in the turn and i had to react quickly was quite a few

echo the first and last bit of the bike, it's tight, lots of opps to come off, you'll know when you are out of it, keep the powder dry for the first bit
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call mossym, the inland roads can be hazardous as well.

This is mostly down to the typical straight-line-missile-triathletes with cr@p bike handling in the turns. I overtook a lot by just rolling through the corners rather than braking to a standstill.

Edit: Also, after first lap you'll also hit the late crowd on the second lap. Take care, these are likely to be a lot slower.

Last edited by Chrace on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
chickenboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, i'm in, looking forward to it.
JD-ScarabTri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do enjoy strava as much as anything to keep track on what I have done (training and races) year after year and what friends are getting up to (and why wasn't I invited) !
For specific races such as Copenhagen (I haven't see any on here) have there ever been any strava 'groups' set up so can see how we are all doing ? Maybe this is a no no (the only reason it might not be appealing to some is it's a bit more personal) but to me it would just give a bit more race specific fun and camaraderie. It might actually be useful that we might find some of us are training in the same area so could meet up or when over there would be able to message which to me would be a bit easier than say on here.
Just a thought and I'm not a premium member and haven't got a clue what to do so does anyone think its worthwhile and if so take it on ?
If it works we could suggest it to the 'hierarchy' looking at the TT re-vamp
JD-ScarabTri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's everyones training going (seems to be the standard question about a month out) - looking forward to my last big weekend, although I'm sure I'll have a good ride the following weekend.
Slight Achilles and calf niggles but getting the long runs done and then recovering over a few days after, so happy enough.
Just the weather to worry about now which I can't do anything about, please be unseasonably mild.
Looking forward to the big day now which seems to have been a long time coming.
chickenboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all back on track i think JD.i pulled a muscle in my back which knocked me out for two weeks, but gradually returned to it last week and seem ok now, although i still need to get a couple of long rides and runs in, then i'll be happy.

Hoping to go sub 10 if i can hold my run together.
Muriel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done nowhere near enough. But when do we? Smile

Still haven't managed a long bike but I'll try that this weekend. Had a couple of 15 mile runs too.

My swimming is better than ever mind so fingers crossed coming out of the water it puts me in a good mood to crack on and enjoy the day.
chickenboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muriel wrote:
Done nowhere near enough. But when do we? Smile

Still haven't managed a long bike but I'll try that this weekend. Had a couple of 15 mile runs too.

My swimming is better than ever mind so fingers crossed coming out of the water it puts me in a good mood to crack on and enjoy the day.

so true, i feel like i'm cramming in homework!, good work on the runs and swimming. My swimming is ok too for a change, off for a 3k OW swim race tonight. Always a good simulation for race day
Muriel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sod's law. Felt a sore Achilles after a track session a week ago so gave it a week before running. Attempted a run tonight and it flared up after one mile.

Balls.

I'm thinking swap all runs for biking now in the final couple of weeks.

Hope everyone is injury free and enjoying a good run in. I'm heading out on the Friday with a pal.
chickenboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, deffo go easy on that achilles and just get to the start-line healthy.

had a good swim last night and came second out of 9 Laughing just under sub 60 ironman pace so hoping i can replicate that in copenhagen
JD-ScarabTri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last 100 miler for me today and long run and swim tomorrow. Hope my Achilles holds out as well or the long run wont be that long. Yes it's definitely look after your body stage now and hopefully avoid emergency physio trips
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: