Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Copenhagen 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muriel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!!!
chickenboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody ready? looks like there may be a decent window of weather on sunday with a westerly breeze, hopefully it'll turn north a tad so we can get a free ride up the coastal road Smile how you all feeling?
JD-ScarabTri

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes been weather watching and not looking bad. Temperature good (for me) and hopefully the showers will keep away (although a lunchtime one currently forecast, but that will change by sunday) and just need a bit of luck with the wind, currently westerly so there should be some shelter. I haven't run for 10 days which seems like a very long time and just hoping Achilles has recovered enough. I hope Muriel's is doing ok as well.
Flying Thur am so will be walking (slowly) around town for 3 days. Might do a bit of a swim and/or ride on Friday. There is a 5k run on Thur evening and you get a beer and sausage at the finish !
No 2635 - white (with a bit of yellow green black stripes at the side) scarab tri top - so say hi if you spot me
can't wait
Wales 2014
Muriel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alreeet people.

After buggering the Achilles 4 weeks ago I've done one run. 5 miles of 4mins run and 2mins walk hoping that would be good enough to hobble round. The run went superb. By the end there was no pain. Unfortunately around two hours after finishing the Achilles started to flare and stiffen up worse than before. Had ultrasound 4 times now but it's just not going in time. Run and risk rupture or don and do the worlds most expensive bloody aquabike. Blurgh.

Enough of that crap. I'm flying out with a pal Friday. Number 1794 and I'll be in fusion speed suit, mostly white and black line London logos.

Weather looks changeable. But it'll add to the fun.

JD - fingers crossed on the cankle.
JD-ScarabTri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderstorm forecast for 2pm. It could be epic.
T2 is underground car park with speed bump at bottom of ramp as literally a dismount line. Walked 10 miles around town yesterday so better take it easy now.
Wales 2014
chickenboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

''Tis certainly going to be interesting on the run!! Nice south westerly up our arses on the way north. Have a great safe race both of you. Hope those pesky Achilles behave
chickenboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you guys get on? did your achilles behave themselves?

A good day for me although not quite sub ten. 10:06
59 swim, 5:16 bike, 3:40 run.

got all muddled with the times and thought i was chasing down a sub 10:30 so i was a tad confused running down the finishing chute when it registered 10:06. Really happy. 34th AG (45-49). winning time was sub 9!!!

of course I'm dissecting my race now, should i have raced disc, pushed harder on bike, dug deeper on run? of course i should've Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the rain was biblical...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
chickenboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a little 'splashy!'😂
JD-ScarabTri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the rain was worse for the supporters. I didn't find it too cold and so a bit refreshing apart from having soaking wet shoes.
I managed (for me) a good swim and bike and as expected a just get round grim run as Achilles got worse for 12.47. Decided to avoid pain killers so I could monitor and not completely wreck it so the last lap and a half became walk/ironman shuffle (so didn't need to flex ankle).
I thought all the course was great and would easily have been a pb but in the circumstances getting it done was good enough. Pretty much everyone speaks good English are very friendly and the public transport is fantastic. No car or taxis needed the whole time.
My one gripe with IM was no showers at the end which were advertised in the literature. Nice burger at the end though.
Had my first authentic danish pastry yesterday so all in all a great time.
Hope Muriel got round ok ?
Wales 2014
chickenboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking stuff JD. Well done for pushing through to the finish and being sensible guarding that Achilles!! Take it easy for a while for some recovery
Muriel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb all round. Great to hear!!!

Knew from a couple of days before that attempting a run would be idiotic, especially as I was on holiday for two weeks post race. Disappointing yes, but the thought of hobbling or even worse for weeks after meant I knew from the off it would be swim/bike.

I was really hoping to go sub 1:10 in the swim but totally fecked the last U turn up. You can see it on strava but I'm almost on land to the right side of the turn under the 3.1k bridge. Once I realised it was a real battle to get across swimmers and try and gain some time back. Bike was an enjoyable day out for me.

Ironman has become a fevkng nightmare to be honest. This was my third attempt. Keeled ove on the run in Roth in 2013 and DNS at Roth 2015 due to injury. No matter what I do my body can't take prolonged training hours. Anything above 10 hrs per week or longe than 15 mile runs and it breaks.

Unsure if I'll ever attempt again. I hate training for them and it's become just a tick the box. Probably where I go wrong.

My rubbish aside, again nice bloody work all round. Hopefully catch up on a short distance tri soon!!! 😁
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muriel wrote:
No matter what I do my body can't take prolonged training hours. Anything above 10 hrs per week or longe than 15 mile runs and it breaks.

Strava shows I have gone over 10 hours twice this year (just), and only run over 15 miles once!

Aiming for sub 12 at Ironman wales.

Maybe you are just training too much?
Muriel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no. Yes because my body can't take it but no because I've averaged 7.2hrs per week in the build up. Jan 1st onwards. I'm not one for churning out pointless hours, but as soon as I moved to a a few longer weeks the body went pop.

Looking forward to averaging around 7 comfortably and most of all making it enjoyable with the work commute. I'm already looking at a 70.3 for next year.
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does Kalmar compare to Copenhagen?

Any thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: