Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Bastion 2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laufmann

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Bastion 2017 Reply with quote

Does the lack of an existing thread for the 2017 Bastion mean I am the only person doing it?!!!
I am after information on the cycle route in particular as I have seen the amount of ascent variously described as 2,000, 2,500, and 3,000 metres. 3,000 is seriously different to 2,000 and the very thought of it is turning my legs to jelly....
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's nowt that steep or to be frightened of on the bike.
it's a race not a time trial, just pace yourself n you'll love it. entertaining course tbh Thumbs Up
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+3T=144IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
hammerer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about 2900m according to my Garmin. Groombridge is the steepest climb, but the 2 climbs to the forest each lap must be 4 or 5 miles each. It's not the length or steepness of the climbs that's the issue though, it's the relentless up and down. There is very little flat at all! Oh and after that bike, you have a hilly trail run. Still at least the swim is flat Wink
Laufmann

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
It's about 2900m according to my Garmin. Groombridge is the steepest climb, but the 2 climbs to the forest each lap must be 4 or 5 miles each. It's not the length or steepness of the climbs that's the issue though, it's the relentless up and down. There is very little flat at all! Oh and after that bike, you have a hilly trail run. Still at least the swim is flat Wink
Thanks. I was hoping for a bit less...Relentless up and down was more or less the comment of someone I spoke to recently when he found out I was doing this. He had been marshalling and had an offer of a free place, which he definitely declined when he travelled the bike course picking up signage. No way he was ever going to do that race!
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and for reference in 2014 Fraser Cartmell only just broke 10hrs with about 5:40 on the bike! He was about an hour quicker at IM Wales later that year but may have been in better shape but it shows the comparison. SBezza went a few minutes quicker than Fraser on the bike and is up there with some of the best distance testers in the country. I believe hes gone something silly like 3:40 for a 100miles!

Its a great ride though and satisfying. The mind games are tough later on lap 2 and 3 when you get another hill and think please can i just have 5 minutes flat! Coaching wise Id advise you to prepare for what is essentially a 180km interval session and put a 28 on the back so you can take it easier if needed. My other tip, which may sound obvious, is keep spinning downhill as the stop start trashes the legs. Surprised how many people freewheeled the downs and pushed the ups.
Laufmann

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
and for reference in 2014 Fraser Cartmell only just broke 10hrs with about 5:40 on the bike! He was about an hour quicker at IM Wales later that year but may have been in better shape but it shows the comparison. SBezza went a few minutes quicker than Fraser on the bike and is up there with some of the best distance testers in the country. I believe hes gone something silly like 3:40 for a 100miles!

Its a great ride though and satisfying. The mind games are tough later on lap 2 and 3 when you get another hill and think please can i just have 5 minutes flat! Coaching wise Id advise you to prepare for what is essentially a 180km interval session and put a 28 on the back so you can take it easier if needed. My other tip, which may sound obvious, is keep spinning downhill as the stop start trashes the legs. Surprised how many people freewheeled the downs and pushed the ups.

Thanks, that is helpful. Last Friday I cycled to Holborough Lakes for a swim, via Birling Hill on the North Downs. Climbing back up, it seemed that I have not come accross anything else in the South East as steep and long. At the time I thought that the next time I did the trip, I would take a less hilly route. Not any more; I think I should go that way as often as possible!
sbezza

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a tough bike leg, but such a rewarding one. As hammerer says there is nothing really horrible about the course just a toughie. I have entered again this year, though will probably just do it as a jolly this year.

Birling Hill is steeper than anything on the Bastion course Wink
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike at Team Outrageous used to do a great olympic distance out of Leybourne called the Birling Beast. that was a tough day out for a short course race.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did this off no training for a couple of years...not impossible but certainly a challenging course...if you are fatigued off the bike then the run is quite tough...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Ade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in for this too. Very Happy

Do you guys who have ridden this think road bike (not got aero wheels, just nice light shallow rims) or TT (disc cover and deep front)?

Trail run - meaning trail shoes, or gravel and dust?

ta
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ade wrote:
I'm in for this too. Very Happy

Do you guys who have ridden this think road bike (not got aero wheels, just nice light shallow rims) or TT (disc cover and deep front)?

Trail run - meaning trail shoes, or gravel and dust?

ta

TT bike as long as you can ride it up and downhills. First year of this in 2014 they had rain in the lead up and the wood sections were very muddy. I had racing flats on and struggled for grip Rolling Eyes This isnt really proper trail shoes trail either as its got a few on road sections and hard packed trail so a road based trail shoe or very grippy road shoe would work best IMO.
Ade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hammerer.
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
TT bike as long as you can ride it up and downhills.
+1 Thumbs Up

disagree - you can wear road shoes no probs on the run unless its really been wet. there's only one 'entertaining' loose section in the sheltered woods that can turn really muddy.
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+3T=144IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
Laufmann

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a go at one lap of the cycle course this week. Not as bad as I was expecting from ascent statistics, and from the "glass half full" perspective, there are plenty of downhills! Not as daft as that might sound when I compare it to my regular ride to Holborough Lakes. It has much steeper ascents and descents, but on most of the downhills the gravity assist is wasted on the brakes because of winding roads or road junctions. All the downhills on the Bastion are very rideable.

However, I am not a strong rider and will try and hold back for the first two laps. Not sure the out and back section of Ashdown Forest will be a complete joy by the sixth time of going along that stretch of road.
Laufmann

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was a tough day out. Would go so far as to say I enjoyed the bike, but got the nutrition wrong (only banana bars on aid stations; my last possible choice; must be the stock High5 could not sell) and it was a 26 mile shuffle to avoid being sick.

Might have unfinished business for next year, though Mrs Laufmann says I am too old and wants that to be my last...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: