Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
TriTalk Future
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
What makes a successful forum? I find like our Tri club facebook page, however, I am not a huge fan of other triathlon specific facebook pages, even though I am a member of one and contribute a little.

On the whole content on forums is better than content on social media. Social media also has an issue with time horizons - a the vast majority of posts on facebook are lost in just a few days, on a forum, a popular thread can last years

Unfortunately I feel that many people have moved away from forums and use facebook groups. Why is this happening? I suspect partly due to convenience, most people use social media on their phone, for a forum to prosper, it probably needs a phone app. Would links to Strava or Garmin connect be valuable? personally I do not share my Strava workouts with my facebook account as many of the people I am connected to are not triathletes and are therefore not interested, however, I would happily share workouts with other forum members.

How about links from Forums to people's blogs and vlogs. Another idea may be to explore ways to integrate clubs into the forum

I really like Tritalk, there are some great contributors and some really good advice, so it would be a shame to see it disappear. However, I do agree that it is time for a refresh, and really hope that someone takes it on

TT needs to evolve. Jorgan and I have some ideas. Integration with an app is available on a lot of forum software these days and even FB integration with links to threads / race reports etc. to point people this way. As for blogs The TT Blogland used to be massive in the day. sometimes it was busier than the forum and a post would be off the front page in a day. Now I'm fourth and havent posted in a year! also the chat facility was great, especially on Kona night. Some of this can be reintegrated. The TriTalk.co.uk club was big as well. We had common kit and all turned up on mass to events.

Now what we need is someone who is an expert site builder rather than me hashing something together in my limited spare time. Im sure there are some that we could get together and work it out. Anyway post ideas here and anybody wants to step up and Jorgan and I can help sort out the details.

Oh and any funding would be great. page sponsorship is key to keeping it running as Im sure whoever helps out will not want to spend their hard earned on the various fees.

Last edited by hammerer on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Yes, happy to be involved, although don't have the IT savvy of someone like Hammerer. Now, talking of Mobile apps for forums, what's this 'Tapatalk' app that I often see offered-up when I visited other forums on a phone?

Whatever happens, I simply cannot lose my post total Laughing

I added tapatalk into my club forum. It is ok and if you are in multiple forums you can switch easily between them. It didnt help none with regards to traffic as the kids all just facebook still. The club doesnt get nearly the same sharing of knowledge they used to and any good stuff is lost in between the posturing and chatter. Its also in my opinion has made the club far more cliquey and far more prone to aggressive posting.

As for mobile apps there are a lot of CMS's that for an extra fee have an app linked in. Anything is possible with money and time.

Lets make TT great again Wink

oh and I agree we need to keep post counts. A lot of hard padding went into that Wink
ed_m

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo much as I hate to say it... are we in a crowd funding situ here ?...
Hosting is _fairly_ cheap....
Hacking together a website/forum also but as H says a proper job may be needed & will cost more.
Than as usual admin effort & actual content are often the time consuming bit once up and running.

It's good to (tri)talk eh?
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For income, how about an Amazon (or something like that) link on the page which pays per click?

Or a donation banner? Zen Tri seems to have a bit of success with that.

I'd love to be able to help in some way if I could, not sure how though!
blindcider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of something that works reasonably well as a sports hub I quite like the Fetchpoint site.

There is some good knowledge here and the historic race reports are really inspiring.

The other major point is it's not slowtwitch which seems to be only inhabited by obsessive Yanks who only ride their bikes indoors and wonder why they crash in races and the stupidest beginners who only add fuel to the trolls from the cyclingnews forum desperate to add to their "Why Triathletes should not be allowed on Bikes" topic. Oh yeah Jorgan is on there lots too...
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few hundred posts on ST since 2008 is not lots Smile

I'm happy to put in a few , but TT (Gareth) doesn't want to sell the site, so I'm wondering how that would work. I don't mind grafting if I have a stake of some sort, Hammy & I have a few ideas, as do a few other long timers I'd imagine. I've invested a lot of time posting what I hope is useful info (in the main) but investing money is another step....

It's the school holidays, so I won't be on here much over that period Wink
Adcoulter1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a newbie to the site, it would be a real shame to lose the wealth of knowledge that it has provided me with entering into this sport for any of those stupid questions or training tips. As has been previously said, there is no other forum site like TT for UK users and therefore it would be great it if could be continued in one way or another
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone interested pm me and Jorgan and we'll get to work. The "stake", which won't have any value, can be split by the contributors. If anyone has decent web building experience that would be invaluable. Most of the current forum solutions have chat, social media interaction, blogs and logins and some can even populate their database tables with current data so would save effort! Shouldn't be too tough a job. I can do some but I'm a mainframe and server side developer and do very little front end or web dev work so would take me a lot longer.
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum has been a brilliant help to me over the years and I'm sure with some of you expert IT guys it can become great again as it would be a very sad day if it was lost forever Sad

I still race and train in my PX Tritalk gear and will continue to do so until it falls off my body!! so would love it if new kit ever became a option to buy again!
GrahamO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we need a website as such or just a website to host a forum ?

Given Forum maintenance is much simpler than trying to keep a website going and active, it might be simpler to just modernise/replace the forum and let people use posts to put articles in ?
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Do we need a website as such or just a website to host a forum ?

Given Forum maintenance is much simpler than trying to keep a website going and active, it might be simpler to just modernise/replace the forum and let people use posts to put articles in ?

And with discourse even easier . It's great software and I need to take a look at that but the 200usd a month seems like a hurdle if they support and host it as well. That does all depend on the db sizes and traffic though. There are cheaper options but again need to wait on TT to let us know the finer details of the current software
Gus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only rudimentary website building skills (bit of PHP, html and CSS) but not enough to build anything 'proper'. However, I do have a bit of time most days and commitment to make sure a new site gets going.

So I'm available to help administer, act as admin. etc.. Also if we set up a plan/strategy requiring manpower for content research, marketing and so on, I'm sure there are enough of us to build a team of people willing and able to be called upon and be allocated tasks if you guys want to coordinate.

Just let me know.

My 15 minutes of fame
AndyS..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be great if TriTalk had a future, it'd be great if I could be involved. It's still my number one site for anything athletic. I call in most days despite not doing anything remotely athletic (which is a bit of a lie, I'm gradually getting into things). Very Happy
TT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I don't want to see the site die hence the post (probably a few years too late). I just don't think anything can be done in the current guise i.e. it's impossible to upgrade/maintain it in it's current form and needs a fresh start (with the current forum being archived). At it's most basic simply a hosted version of an alternate forum software would be a good start (and maybe we can do something with porting usernames and post counts).

I'm more than happy to give the site away to the "community" if there is a general consensus on how that can be achieved. I have a few practical issues around email addresses that have accumulated over the last 14 years but can likely find a solution to those. I'm not looking to maintain any form of control or say but would need assurances that an archive would be retained etc...
TT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:

And with discourse even easier . It's great software and I need to take a look at that but the 200usd a month seems like a hurdle if they support and host it as well. That does all depend on the db sizes and traffic though. There are cheaper options but again need to wait on TT to let us know the finer details of the current software

You can self host Discourse and it's free (other than hosting costs). There is a multitude of forum software out there though and that's just one option. I'm suggesting simply starting a new forum from scratch (at tritalk.co.uk) with a permanent archive site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: