Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
TriTalk Future
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hammerer




Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 16214
Location: Right Next Door To Hell

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TinPot that FB group isn't controlled by us. I'll set up a group and post here.

VBulletin was good but there are security issues. My favourite is Discourse but I don't have access to a Linux server to set it up. OnTheRun is hopefully gonna help out though, I'm awaiting a reply to email from him, unless someone else has any decent knowledge and access to a server.
_________________
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2156
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
TinPot that FB group isn't controlled by us. I'll set up a group and post here.

VBulletin was good but there are security issues. My favourite is Discourse but I don't have access to a Linux server to set it up. OnTheRun is hopefully gonna help out though, I'm awaiting a reply to email from him, unless someone else has any decent knowledge and access to a server.

Ah, ok.

My server-fu is well out of date these days, but I'd be looking at AWS or Azure, especially with low volumes surely cloud is the answer..?
_________________
Iron '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 7h39!, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hammerer




Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 16214
Location: Right Next Door To Hell

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
hammerer wrote:
TinPot that FB group isn't controlled by us. I'll set up a group and post here.

VBulletin was good but there are security issues. My favourite is Discourse but I don't have access to a Linux server to set it up. OnTheRun is hopefully gonna help out though, I'm awaiting a reply to email from him, unless someone else has any decent knowledge and access to a server.

Ah, ok.

My server-fu is well out of date these days, but I'd be looking at AWS or Azure, especially with low volumes surely cloud is the answer..?


All costs a lot of dough though and just for trialling we don't want to start ploughing money in with no revenue streams. But yes host will not be local, we just need to set it up and test it without paying.
_________________
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Race1+




Joined: 14 Sep 2010
Posts: 618

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I haven't done any races since 2015. And only really done a few bikes or runs as I felt like it. So I checked my 609 posts history.

1 post in 2016
8 in 2015
1 in 2014
None in 2013
Lots more in 12, 11 and 10 (when I joined)

So it seems, I'm not the only one not making it here often. At the same time, I'm still aware of the Tri world. I watch the ITU, Kona and various other races (Ch4 and BIKE channel - The latter having a lot if you haven't considered it before)

I went to the Tri/Bike show this year, but not 2016.

I read Slowtwitch quite a lot, but find it not always relevant being American. And they still have something of a Lance fixation and how his presence can save Tri.

I actually tend to find out stuff from Tri247.com and their Twitter page. So I'm still a follower of the sport.


Which brings me neatly to the point.

They don't have a forum at Tri247. Could this be the link this site needs? They've just re-invigorated the graphics. It's got lots of content. Particularly when you consider not much happens in the Tri world.

Could be beneficial for both parties when it comes to attracting sponsors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14201
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a good call...i will ask...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 16007
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race1+ wrote:

So it seems, I'm not the only one not making it here often. At the same time, I'm still aware of the Tri world. I watch the ITU, Kona and various other races (Ch4 and BIKE channel - The latter having a lot if you haven't considered it before)


Whereas when I had my hiatus, I didn't follow the sport one bit (got massively into mountaineering); my first race back someone overtook me on a carbon PX Stealth with 50mm rims and I thought it was well gucci. Then next race, a guy rode past on a Felt B2 with a 'hidden' rear brake & faired back wheel; it was almost too much to cope with Very Happy

Looking back, the actual process of me getting back into Tri (like born-again keen) is still somewhat of a mystery; a combination of factors I guess, one of which was the sheer popularity of Tri and the facilities in Germany.
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TT
Site Admin



Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Posts: 1483
Location: Vancouver

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so May 14th seems like a nice deadline as it the site anniversary. On that day I'd like to lock down these forums so I can begin the archiving process fully.

Discourse is a nice forum and free if self-hosted. How about I set that up on Digital Ocean and it can be prepped in the background until the 14th when I point the site to it? Unless anyone has a very strong opinion on a better forum software to use?

We can work out the finer points then later but if we have a working forum and some admins it'll be a good starting point.
_________________
Don't want to read this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Gus




Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 2244
Location: Freezing my nads off in Aberdoom

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked a DEADLINE Shocked

Quick someone, do something. I don't know what, but something must be done. And quickly.

Very Happy
_________________
BLOG now updating again!
In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big...

My 15 minutes of fame
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hammerer




Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 16214
Location: Right Next Door To Hell

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT wrote:
OK so May 14th seems like a nice deadline as it the site anniversary. On that day I'd like to lock down these forums so I can begin the archiving process fully.

Discourse is a nice forum and free if self-hosted. How about I set that up on Digital Ocean and it can be prepped in the background until the 14th when I point the site to it? Unless anyone has a very strong opinion on a better forum software to use?

We can work out the finer points then later but if we have a working forum and some admins it'll be a good starting point.


That would be fantastic Gareth. I wanted to trial discourse as its the nicest from what I see. Put me down to continue admin and I'm sure the others will continue as well. Once set up let me know all the details to host back end / admin and we'll go from there and start "playing" .
_________________
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2156
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 14th? Well, that does risk people missing out on my race day updates. I don't know how they'll cope.
_________________
Iron '16 14h30
Half Iron '17 7h39!, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 16007
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
May 14th? Well, that does risk people missing out on my race day updates. I don't know how they'll cope.


Where's this Argon of yours?
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TT
Site Admin



Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Posts: 1483
Location: Vancouver

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a fair bit of setup and cleaning up to do but it works http://discourse.tritalk.co.uk/
_________________
Don't want to read this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
SidSnot




Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 1500

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT wrote:
Got a fair bit of setup and cleaning up to do but it works http://discourse.tritalk.co.uk/


Looks pretty clean and simple(I like simple)
_________________
@sidmott
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat buddha




Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Posts: 2329
Location: rural Zuzzex

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:
TT wrote:
Got a fair bit of setup and cleaning up to do but it works http://discourse.tritalk.co.uk/


Looks pretty clean and simple(I like simple)


looks good (so far!). please don't do what RimmersWorld did with their recent forum update - the new one if effing awful, and after being a long standing member on there since 2002, they have now lost me.
_________________
And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FoulOleRon




Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 6603

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking that the Phwoooar thread will migrate. It will won't it? Tell me it will!!
_________________
Find a happy place, find a happy place
http://mikemccrumpet.wordpress.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.