Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
TriTalk Future
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not tech savvy, so this may be a dumb question.

Is there no way you can vet new users? I've been on forums where a new user has to be approved by an administrator before joining.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
Is there no way you can vet new users? I've been on forums where a new user has to be approved by an administrator before joining.

Yes, however the current forum version is so old a lot of the modern features aren't available. Banning certain types of one-shot email accounts is ood but there sites psread out like widlfire. The easy solution would be to ban gmail or Hotmail use, but as the majority use gmail or hotmail its gets difficult.

But you're right - having restrictions for new users such as no links, no pictures, banned words and the such will be the way to go. But that needs a new forum to be set up with graduated levels of membership.

And authorisation of new accounts by a Mod is easy to do, but can take a lot of Mods time.
AndyS..

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Security must be a real improvement - another half dozen posts removed this morning at 0515 UK time and CAPTCH isnt cutting it - all new user sign ins and a whole new set of spam adverts - not passport adverts this time.

Yeah, it's been like that for as long as I've been admin-ing-ing! Except for a brief spell a few years back when spammers had really got the hang of things and we were getting 2000 or so new accounts every day.

Hopefully something a bit more up to date will sort things.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
TT wrote:
Got a fair bit of setup and cleaning up to do but it works http://discourse.tritalk.co.uk/

What's the latest on this Gareth? If this is what we have to play with on 14th May, TT will fall off a cliff edge.

Is the cut over still happening today?
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
GrahamO

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

Back one page;

TT wrote:
I'm going to need a bit more time to migrate and test this. Don't worry I am not shutting anything down without a replacement fully ready to go! The plan is to archive the current version of the site and have a much better new version of the forums. I would like to migrate users at the very minimum.

Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

Back one page;

TT wrote:
I'm going to need a bit more time to migrate and test this. Don't worry I am not shutting anything down without a replacement fully ready to go! The plan is to archive the current version of the site and have a much better new version of the forums. I would like to migrate users at the very minimum.

Cheers missed that
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notwithstanding impending IT moves and more spam clean ups than Jack Bauer let loose in a tinned meat factory, are we turning a corner?

Seems to be renewed postings, interest and momentum on topics now. I hope so Smile
GrahamO

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Seems to be renewed postings, interest and momentum on topics now. I hope so Smile

Presumably they arent being scared off by the randoms dribblings of SS's medication side effects ?
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Presumably they arent being scared off by the randoms dribblings of SS's medication side effects ?
no need to be abusive GrahamO. The only medication I take is a small dose of high blood pressure medicine, and I will be off that in the next year or two given half a chance.

Even if in jest, your remarks are unkind at best, and factually inaccurate.

Come on man live and let live.

Peace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: