Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Training and hypertension

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HannahTheQueen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Training and hypertension Reply with quote

Hello, I've got one quick question.

I have a diagnosed chronic hypertension and I take pills every day just to lower my blood pressure. Is having a physical training every 2 or 3 days safe in my situation? Sometimes my heart beats really fast... and I was told to avoid excessive physical activity.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that really is a question for your medical team, hannah...

i would assume that they recognise your high HR and that this a symptom of your condition rather than just physical activity.

usually, some physical exercise is deemed useful in reducing high blood pressure, but please seek guidance first...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What eJC said, you must consult your medical practitioner on this one. Even a coach would (should) not be able to advise in this instance.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was diagnosed with hypertension around 10 years ago, it is very well managed and my medication has remained unchanged for 9 years

We do not know your situation, so always consult a medical practitioner.

For me exercise and triathlons have massive benefits, since December 2015 my blood pressure has come down by 130/80 to 115/65 and resting HR has dropped from 70bpm to 54bpm.

Please consult your doctor, however, I would think that a training program would usually be a good idea.

Start gently, don't do too much too soon
make sure you measure your heart rate and if you go above a certain level, slow down
get a blood pressure monitor and monitor and record your BP daily

Also worth seeing if certain foods impact your BP - reducing salt in food certainly reduced mine, since starting Triathlons my alcohol intake has reduced by 75% (I used to drink approx 20 units per week, I now drink 5 to 7 units). For lent, I gave up meat (still eat fish) and have been encouraged/dismayed that my BP dropped noticeably (I love meat, hence dismayed).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: