Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wales Long Course Weekend or Just the ride?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Wales Long Course Weekend or Just the ride? Reply with quote

For people competing in IM Wales, is it a good idea to to the whole Long Course weekend, or just do the Bike leg and swim leg?

I am concerned that the whole LCW puts a huge stress on the body and disrupts training significantly, what are other people's experience. Swim is no big issue - a typical Friday night pool training session is 3500+m, and the ride is really important to judge pacing, just not sure what I will get out of running a marathon as well
ajford1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you go for full swim, full bike and then the half marathon on the Sunday? Sounds like a good training weekend.
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always enter the whole thing but don't don't succumb to Willy waving pressure. I see how I am on the weekend.

However, I'm pretty sure not all events are open any more, certainly the LCW option is sold out.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this in 2012 (or 2013), and it really broke me for a few weeks.

It was a brutally hot weekend, and the marathon was savage.

If I was doing it again (with Im Wales in mind), I'd do the swim Friday, the ride Saturday (with 1 loop of the IMW run course as far as you can given the sportive finish) - at least the run up to New hedge.

Sunday I'd do the long loop of the bike again (in race trim, testing set up and pacing) with a longer run off.

Oi knee, do one....
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajford1 wrote:
Why don't you go for full swim, full bike and then the half marathon on the Sunday? Sounds like a good training weekend.

This is what I would do.

You should be able to do the swim and bike without causing too much muscle damage/fatigue and then do the half but at a slow, ironman pace.

It'll be the run that will cause damage which may limit your recovery and affect your training afterwards.

You need to treat it as a training weekend where you can continue your usual training with minimal disruption.
blindcider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LCW marathon is a completely different course to the Ironman one anyway so there is not much you can learn from doing it and it is fairly brutal.
funkin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindcider wrote:
The LCW marathon is a completely different course to the Ironman one anyway so there is not much you can learn from doing it and it is fairly brutal.

Those were my thoughts when I did it a few years ago. I wanted to get a feel for the Ironman Wales course and the marathon route wasn't going to help me there. I had planned to run some of the IM marathon on the Sunday morning but in the end enjoyed my B&B fry-up instead. Did me no harm when I went back a couple of months later for the ironman.

I'm going back with friends this year for a little fun, just going to do (some of) the bike and the half marathon. I've got no ironman plans right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: