Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Sub 2:15 Olympic thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Sub 2:15 Olympic thread Reply with quote

So, anyone remember standard distance races and still do them Smile

Can only remember doing 1 in about the last 5-6 years which was Ripon tri. The best result I can confirm is 2:20:xx but that was quite a few years ago on a twisty circuit and I've improved my swimming since then. Also pretty sure I did something like 2:16 once but can't find the results of that race anywhere.

As a bit of a distraction from IM's this year (still got Bolton), I've entered Deva & Ripon tri, both are qualifiers for Rotterdam, and although I've actually put my name down I'm not particularly sure I'd go if I got lucky with a roll-down etc., also thinking of Wetherby as a bit of a test for transition and pacing, but it is only about 6 days before Chester.

So, thought I'd try and set a target and I know it is pretty dependent on conditions, whether the course is accurate etc. but 2:15 might be doable on a good day, as long as my transitions aren't as bad as in IM's!

Swim: 25 - probably doable, a lot of my 70.3 swims are around 32 minutes
Bike: 65 - out and back flat course would be good, Ripon have changed their course and a lot of it is a TT course, and I know bits of it.
Run: 42 - can do 90/91 on a 70.3 so might be achievable
T1\T2 - <5
Total: 2:16

So, need to find a minute or two, if transition is short could find a bit there, the others will be a bit more difficult!

Anyone else around this time?

Hoping to keep some 5k/10k sessions going once London is out of the way, and will start doing some evening 10's and bike sessions. Will need to keep a long bike\run going for Bolton (which isn't a priority).

Jeff
Jorgan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PB is 2:07 at the Inter Services; basically the Lake 32 Oly event. Did that the month after going 10:07 in Austria, so you should be fine. Think it was 23:00, 63:**, 40:04.

Doing an Oly off Ironman is such a dream though Cool
chickenboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff, I recently clocked your name on the intention to qualify list for the standard. I'm in too, at Deva. I'm also heading to Eton to try for the sprint qualifier at Eton. It's draft legal which should be interesting. Bike/run is one of my strengths so not sure where a draft race will leave me, hence the reason I may opt for the standard if I get lucky at both. You can deffo go sub 2:15. I've
managed a 2:10 three years back, and I reckon we're pretty similar in ability.
Mungo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The run/ jog / crawl up a steep wet bank into the transition may dint your swim/ transition times. It did me!

The bike is flatish and fast ish.

Run too with a few daft diversions in the park but mostly head down and motor.

I think / hope the dual carrage way is on the 70.3 course after the Wxm turn around, not sure about the Olympic? done that one twice its a great race.

First stab at middle distance for me.
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even I've done a 2:18 and I'm slow so you should do that with ease. 2014 did 25 swim but was long about 1.02 bike which was a bit short and 46 run iirc. Did have very short transitions which helped and favourable conditions.
TriSam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff you're definitely worth less than a 42 minute 10k off the bike!
SidSnot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 2:14 at Windsor 10 years ago, would like to get somewhere near there this year...

Swim 00:21:33
T1 00:01:10
Bike 01:03:40
T2 00:01:44
Run 00:46:06
02:14:12
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sub 2:05 would win races back in the 80s...sub 2:10 was top club level...sub 2:15 still pretty smart going...

i'd be happy with a sub 2:20 if I could...it all hinges on the bike...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Mungo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 2:11 at Windsor 20 or was it 19 years ago..... Those days have gone.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it all hinges on the course. I did a sub-2 once. The swim was cut short and downstream and I'm pretty sure the run was short too. But I'm taking it.

I'd really like to do a legit sub-1hr sprint one day. I could just about do the swim-bike-run with no transitions and hit the hour. But again it's finding a true measured course, around here the sprint options have long bikes and short runs.

--
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comments, I'd like to think 42 for the run was worst case, but as mentioned the transitions are key, the first\last 500m at Ripon is on an access road with speed bumps I think. But a lot of the course looks to be a head down TT course which should be good if it isn't that windy.

Thanks for the comments about the Deva Mungo, plan would be to try and recce the bike course on the Friday if possible.

Dave, hope you get in, you won't be far off as you've got the swim to go with it. There's a sprint near us that is draft legal in July which might be a championship, problem is it is a small loop and could get dangerous as there are quite a few novice riders probably doing it, then a few big groups of the fast lads could easily lap them twice, hopefully it will be alright. Doubt I'll be doing that though, my group riding is not good.

If you do qualify for Rotterdam, Challenge Almere is only the week before and there is a 70.3. I would be tempted to do both.

I'll see how the training goes after this weekend.

Jeff
Mungo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff
I will be having a ride around after the 15th of next month, my best mate is the H and S officer on the day and helped recce the course. The dual carriage way part is in both races he tells me.
I will report back with any findings.

Buzz
I have completed the hour for a sprint distance on two occasions but transitions took me to 62 ish.

Chances now are very slim, but I might have a go one of these days.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:

Buzz
I have completed the hour for a sprint distance on two occasions but transitions took me to 62 ish.

Is that 400m or 750m swim?
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is why it's a shame that most courses are slightly different in length, it makes such time goals mostly arbitrary and a bit fluffy.

I did 2:14 something at Eton for an Oly last summer, but that had a 42.X Km ish bike so obviously worth something quicker for the true Oly distance, but it's nice to subjectively belong to the sub-2:15 group FWIW

TBH, since I time each segment separately anyway, and so never know finishing time until I see the results, I'm more interested in how I do on each split - av. speed on the bike and run and swim, and take satisfaction from those. I'm less bothered about where I come in the race, although I do find racing people helps with motivation to perform better.

Having said that, I did enjoy the exercise of figuring out what it would take to do sub-1 in a sprint, or 2:05 in an Oly and extrapolating if it's possible. It gives some arbitrary goal to work towards at least (just like a sub-XX 5K).
Mungo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PP
With my carp swim 400 for sure.
If Nantwich had been 400 I would have been under the hour twice.
The extra 100 and the bizzare "choppy" brine pool slows us non fish types more than most.

Fleetwood is 400/20/5 I believe?

May have a pop one day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: