Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Sub 2:15 Olympic thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most sprint events are actually 'Super Sprint' distance i.e. 400/20/5 or thereabouts. Sub 60 is easy enough for me at that distance on a flat accurate course, but never done a 'true' Sprint (750 swim).
Mungo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan
A sprint to me has always been 400/20/5 with the swim always in a pool.
Are the 750 open water events?

My straight front crawl, no buoyancy, and transitions are sooo bad that it becomes hard work I think I did sub 32 for the bike and a very low 18 min run one year and still dipped!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
Jorgan

Generally yes; that's the official ITU Sprint distance. Obviously not used much as the swim isn't as attractive to beginners as 400m.
TriSam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a sub-2 Olympic, but never quite a sub-1 hour sprint with a 750m swim Confused
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Mungo wrote:
Jorgan

Generally yes; that's the official ITU Sprint distance. Obviously not used much as the swim isn't as attractive to beginners as 400m.

Weird. Every sprint I do is in the realm of 750/20/5, unless as mentioned it's pool based. There are quite a lot of those standard sprint distances in and around London.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
There are quite a lot of those standard sprint distances in and around London.

Not sure there's the demand away from the London area/home counties. I'm pretty sure if they did them around my way I'd do them, as they are a 'fairer' distance if you can actually turn-in a decent swim.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking 750/20/5. I've gone sub-60 on a 400 swim, although once again the distances were not terribly accurate. When I was in Ireland all the pool based sprints were still 750, and I liked to get one in early season to at least get an accurate swim split as open water can be more of a lottery.

Jorgan, get yourself down to Lake32 in September. That is now my traditional end of season race. Lovely warm lake, fast rolling cycle and a fast - if congested - trail run. But as I said, the cycle and run distances are off, so not a true sub-60.

--
newMan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
I've done a sub-2 Olympic, but never quite a sub-1 hour sprint with a 750m swim Confused

Well maybe because T1 and T2 are rougly the same time for both so makes the sub 60 min sprint a little more challenging?

Anyway sub 2 Olympic is very good!
iwaters

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my first tri of the season on Sunday, Oly distance. I don't think I can break the 2:15 as my run is not fast enough but I am confident of going sub 2:20. Training has been going really well.

I got some proper Tri bike shoes and have been practising flying mounts/dismounts in a car park. Should be able to get some decent transitions.

Going to attack the swim and ride a hard bike at 0.95 IF. I haven't tested my FTP in a while but I have been feeling really strong on the bike so I don't think I will over do it.

Annoyingly I don't have proper Oly PB as the two I did last year one had a run measured in correctly and the other was change to a Du because of the water quality. Means this one will be a PB though!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
I don't think I can break the 2:15 as my run is not fast enough

I ride a hard bike at 0.95 IF.

They could be linked. If you derive your FTP from 95% of a CP20 then like most amateurs, it's very unlikely you could maintain that FTP for 60 min. Assuming the FTP is recent of course.
daetho

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Wetherby Tri yesterday I went sub 2:10 with a 2:09:40 (swim 20:08, bike 1:08, run 39:40).

Last year my time was 2:25 so a massive difference helped by TT bike (first time in a race) and some proper training.
iwaters

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
iwaters wrote:
I don't think I can break the 2:15 as my run is not fast enough

I ride a hard bike at 0.95 IF.

They could be linked. If you derive your FTP from 95% of a CP20 then like most amateurs, it's very unlikely you could maintain that FTP for 60 min. Assuming the FTP is recent of course.

I do get my FTP like that. Only once did I validate it with a 40km TT and I was able to hold that power for an hour. I don't do that regularly though. My current FTP was done 2.5 months ago

I did an oly last year (the duathlon one) and I rode at .95 IF and then set a 10k PB. Admittedly that was at Dorney so both were flat as a pancake.

I meant that my run just isn't fast enough at all. I would have to break my 10k PB to go under 2:15. That might be possible though, in a half marathon a couple of weeks ago my 10k split was equal to my PB.

We will see on Sunday, if my run sucks we'll know I rode too hard. If I have a good run then either the bike was paced well, or my FTP has gone up Smile
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:

We will see on Sunday, if my run sucks we'll know I rode too hard. If I have a good run then either the bike was paced well, or my FTP has gone up Smile

The other point I forgot to make, was that if you ride at near FTP in an Oly, then either your FTP is wrong (low) or you will blow your race, assuming you want to swim & run well too i.e. you can't perform at FTP levels for over 2 hours, as that's not the point of an FTP value. As an example, I would ride a Sprint bike at 0.95, so that I can then run at threshold too.... and therefore complete just under an hour of racing around my Threshold intensity (watts or HR). Probably a little over on the run.

We only have so many matches at that intensity, so if you burn almost all your threshold matches on the bike then you'll have none left for a fast run. The fitter you are of course, the closer to the wind you can sail.
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
iwaters wrote:

The other point I forgot to make, was that if you ride at near FTP in an Oly, then either your FTP is wrong (low) or you will blow your race, assuming you want to swim & run well too i.e. you can't perform at FTP levels for over 2 hours, as that's not the point of an FTP value. As an example, I would ride a Sprint bike at 0.95, so that I can then run at threshold too.... and therefore complete just under an hour of racing around my Threshold intensity (watts or HR). Probably a little over on the run.

We only have so many matches at that intensity, so if you burn almost all your threshold matches on the bike then you'll have none left for a fast run. The fitter you are of course, the closer to the wind you can sail.

Got you. The problem I have I think is a lack of experience. 18 months ago I was completely unfit and weighed 19 stone. Pretty much every race I have turned up to I have PB'd because my fitness was increasing massively and I was losing large amounts of weight.

Going into a race I often have no clue where to set my pace. Last year I did an Oly and rode at .95 IF then ran a 10k standalone PB. What I don't know is was my FTP higher than I had it set for the race, or did I bike too hard and compromise my 10k, even though it was a PB could I have gone even quicker?

Running it through BBS a .9 IF on this race vs .95 only adds a couple of minutes. Perhaps I will aim for that instead and aim for a good run.
Mungo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daetho
Thats a huge improvement.....
Sub 2;10 is decent.

Congrats...You still doing IMUK?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: