Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Sub 2:15 Olympic thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing Marlow on June 25th, first tri in 'quite a long time', is there a sub 3.15 thread? Very Happy
daetho

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
Daetho
Thats a huge improvement.....
Sub 2;10 is decent.

Congrats...You still doing IMUK?

Cheers! Feeling quite tired this week as a result but trying to keep up the training volume. Yeah still doing the IMUK, feeling more positive about pushing for that sub 11 now. Although I know the bike is going to be hard work. Seem to remember you live on/near the course? I've not been round it yet - booked a day off work this month to give it a go. Did you enter it for this year?
Mungo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daetho

I will start Chester middle on Sunday....

Swimming life long PB"s from 100m to 2k in the last month. I'm still slow!

Averaging nearly 19 mph on a circuit that takes in Hunters hill every 6 miles, its the steep one on the IMUK course, not that long but 7-8 mph hill. That kills your average speed.

Running is my strength but I can't! My calf keeps popping....

Plan A was to blast the swim and bike and then stop. Clock the time and then work towards Sept for a fast 70.3.

However I will put some runners down.... I really don't expect to finish. However its been three weeks since I've run at all so might get lucky...not ideal prep but hey ho.

I've never quite managed sub 2:10 but you swim 7 mins faster than me... If you can get your bike up a level you should get sub 11 depending on run endurance after the bike.

It is a Tt bike course, with maybe a few mods!
iwaters

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so here we go with my results. Overall I was 13th, 3rd in AG. 2nd fastest swimmer.

Swim: 19:53
Bike: 1:11:41
Run: 47:49

Total time 2:21:29. Now for the excuses / reasons.

I hopped on the bike and my Garmin prompted me to calibrate my power meter, I stupidly said yes whilst I was pedalling and so that cocked up the calibration. It probably would have reset next time I zeroed but the course was such that there wasn't anywhere top stop pedalling. Anyway I had no back-up plan and rode by feel, and I slightly under-cooked the bike. I should have been a couple of minutes quicker. I realised after lap 1 I wasn't pushing enough but it was too late.

The run was too long, 10.6km I logged. That was annoying as I passed 10k in 45:09. Which is a huge PB for me, even on a standalone open 10k. My previous 10k PB was 48 something.

Forgetting the bike if the run was normal I would have sneaked under the 2:20 which was my target. Shaving a few mins from the bike brings me close to the magical 2:15.

I do have to wonder though if I had ridden the bike harder though would I have still run so fast.

My final excuse is I rode this on a crappy Planet X stealth that is too small for me, with box section alloy rims and a normal road helmet.

When my P3 and aero helmet are here and I shave me legs I should be much faster. (if this was on ST it would be in pink.)

Note sure where this puts me in terms of my 5 hour 70.3. I heard double you best Oly time and add 30 mins. Perhaps at sub 5:15 is a better target. I do hope to shed another stone in weight before the 70.3 although weight loss has slowed a little recently.
Jgav

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Ok so here we go with my results. Overall I was 13th, 3rd in AG. 2nd fastest swimmer.

Swim: 19:53
Bike: 1:11:41
Run: 47:49

Total time 2:21:29. Now for the excuses / reasons.

I hopped on the bike and my Garmin prompted me to calibrate my power meter, I stupidly said yes whilst I was pedalling and so that cocked up the calibration. It probably would have reset next time I zeroed but the course was such that there wasn't anywhere top stop pedalling. Anyway I had no back-up plan and rode by feel, and I slightly under-cooked the bike. I should have been a couple of minutes quicker. I realised after lap 1 I wasn't pushing enough but it was too late.

The run was too long, 10.6km I logged. That was annoying as I passed 10k in 45:09. Which is a huge PB for me, even on a standalone open 10k. My previous 10k PB was 48 something.

Forgetting the bike if the run was normal I would have sneaked under the 2:20 which was my target. Shaving a few mins from the bike brings me close to the magical 2:15.

I do have to wonder though if I had ridden the bike harder though would I have still run so fast.

My final excuse is I rode this on a crappy Planet X stealth that is too small for me, with box section alloy rims and a normal road helmet.

When my P3 and aero helmet are here and I shave me legs I should be much faster. (if this was on ST it would be in pink.)

Note sure where this puts me in terms of my 5 hour 70.3. I heard double you best Oly time and add 30 mins. Perhaps at sub 5:15 is a better target. I do hope to shed another stone in weight before the 70.3 although weight loss has slowed a little recently.

Yeah but, cracking swim time!
iwaters

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a standard distance this morning. Felt good going in and thought I might get near to 2:17 ish but had some issues.

Swim is my best but I felt flat, couldn't get the arms turning over. Came out about 8th I think in 24 something, last Oly I did I went under 20 although I think that course was slightly short.

That's when the wheels came off, or more precisely that's when my big toe went into a wheel. I am always a little dizzy after the swim but this was worse than normal. Got to the mount line hopped on went to start. Rather than build up some speed a settle then get my feet in I panicked and tried to get them in straight away, left foot slipped off, the shoe span round got caught on the ground, jolted the bike and my other foot came off and toe went into the wheel. Flat aero bladed spokes - tore a massive chunk out of my toe.

The other shoe had gone flying, a kindly marshal retrieved it for me, I stuffed the injured foot in the shoe, didn't want to look at it.

Set off on the bike, at first my toe hurt a lot, then it seemed to subside. I struggled to get the power down and I don't think that was because of the toe - although the adrenaline was playing havoc with my HR. BBS suggested a 1:04:00 split on 272W (0.9IF), I did it in about 1:10:00 but only managed 259W, NP was 270. The last third felt tough and one section I couldn't bring the power up. Was quite hilly too. Was aiming for 36kph but only hit 33.4. There were two junctions where you had to put your foot down and wait and also the entry and exit was up a pot holed slip road so that possibly accounts for being slower and the remainder from the final few watts.

Anyway started the run and actually felt good, then I saw the blood seeping through the top of my trainer. I think from adrenaline or whatever I couldn't feel how bad my toe was. Stopped at 2K and walked back.

Toe looks bad, there was a big chunk of dead skin which has almost been completely cut off, hanging by a flap. Cleaning it was the most painful thing I have done in a while. Surgical spirit Shocked Shocked Shocked

Long post, well done if you have made it this far. Just needed to get it off my chest and the wife has stopped listening to me years ago.
Sopworth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing my first triathlon in 3 years, this Sunday, an it's a standard distance. I did 2:11 in my last oly but I'm not sure I'll get under 2:15. This morning was my 5th pool swim since my last event and it hurt. I know I'll put in a good time on the bike and I hope I'm good for a sub 41 run but the swim will be a killer.
I'll be on here to let you know how I get on.
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iwaters, that sounds very painful, hope it heals quickly. But very good swimming.

Jeff
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might come lurk in here from time to time. Completed my first standard distance this weekend in 2:32. Lot's of improvement in the swim needed as that was a 32:19 split for me. It was a slightly short bike course but a really long transition with a decent amount of slippery stairs in T1.

Then maybe get aero for the bike (I rode it on my road bike), should be able to eat a decent chunk of that time and then we're working at the smaller improvements after that.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
Might come lurk in here from time to time. Completed my first standard distance this weekend in 2:32. Lot's of improvement in the swim needed as that was a 32:19 split for me. It was a slightly short bike course but a really long transition with a decent amount of slippery stairs in T1.

Then maybe get aero for the bike (I rode it on my road bike), should be able to eat a decent chunk of that time and then we're working at the smaller improvements after that.

London Tri? If so how was it? Been a good few years since I did that one. Enjoyed the atmosphere and the cycle out to Westminster on closed roads was awesome (which I think they don't do any more). T1 and the run course are a bit cack though ...

Agree that the massive transitions and short bike probably even each other out though.

If you improve your swim and get aero on the bike you should be in with a shout of sub 2:15.
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
Jgav wrote:

London Tri? If so how was it? Been a good few years since I did that one. Enjoyed the atmosphere and the cycle out to Westminster on closed roads was awesome (which I think they don't do any more). T1 and the run course are a bit cack though ...

Agree that the massive transitions and short bike probably even each other out though.

If you improve your swim and get aero on the bike you should be in with a shout of sub 2:15.

Yes, it was the London Tri, great atmosphere in transition, one the run and where the bike passes Excel very quiet apart from that. The bike still goes out to Westminster which was great fun, got to pass my office and run club base. Run course is lame...three laps out on the water front with a steep ramp into Excel to run up each time.

May go join a masters swim group to work on my swim speed. I go faster in a pool, though not much. Realistically, I need to get the swim to 25mins to get closer to where I should be. I can't imagine ever going close to 20mins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: