Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Supporting VLM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Supporting VLM Reply with quote

Ok - looking for some tips and info from a supporters perspective for Sunday please you kind people.

I think it is fair to say that my wife isn't the most confident traveller in and around London. She will however be with two other friends one of which is from East London, so they will be much more confident with some local knowledge i'm hoping! My wife will have our little 20 month old toddler, the other couple a 2 year old and they will be getting the train in from Basingstoke where our friends live.

Looking for:
    Somewhere with a decent bit of atmosphere, but not too crazy

Nearish to a decent rail/tube station that isn't going to be too complex i.e. loads of stops and switching

Possibly near a park or green space so the kids can have somewhere safe to run around and burn off some energy, as they won't be happy being in a pushchair all day

I'm guessing this isn't really an issue in London, other than maybe Canary Wharf, but having somewhere to eat/drink/toilets nearby, so not too remote and off the beaten track

Does such a place exist?! Tower bridge, the last 2/3 miles and Greenwich all seem like definite no goes?

I'm not familiar with London at all, so am trying to do my research. Shadwell looks quite good, overland and underground station, on a 1.5 mile stretch or so that the route runs both ways ... but i assume everyone else will have noticed that as well!!

Thanks in advance

GB
Jgav

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't write off Canary Wharf as it has loads of great restaurants and lovely green spaces (more than you might expect) plus there's the shopping centre if they get cold and need to go somewhere warm (plus public loos).

I would recommend that they use the tracker and try to see you in a couple of places as it will make it more interesting than standing in one spot.
snowie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mile 7 walk from the start (not a 7 mile walk )

mile 19 on the dlr

otherwise good luck with the kids-don't let go
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowie wrote:
mile 7 walk from the start (not a 7 mile walk )

mile 19 on the dlr

otherwise good luck with the kids-don't let go

I'm running ... so not my responsibilty!! Shocked Very Happy
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an ox bow on the course between 8 and 9 where you can cheer and then cheer again a mile or so later.....similar between 14 and 21 iirc before you head into dock lands

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
twhat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB...

A great spot is Limehouse station, which is on DLR or can be reached from Fenchurch st mainline. There is a small park nearby. As EJC said it gives your supporters the chance to see you at mile 14 and 21. If you walk down to Narrow st there is a good pub called the Narrow at mile 14. Narrow st itself gets quite busy but there is the pub and Limehouse dock marina to stroll around too. If they then head up to st james gardens (small park) there is a stretch of course here with practically no support so they can get right to the barrier no problem (the same applies for the previous mile before and past Limehouse station on the A13).
Canary Wharf gets pretty busy but there is a big green space with cafes and toilets so isnt a bad option either...
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks people!
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips twhat. Watching my sister-in-law this year, and St James' Gardens seems like a good spot, was never sure how busy that got!

I watched at mile 17 last year, just outside Coldharbour on the DLR - really good spot, particularly if you're a running fan as there's a slight uphill there and it's quite telling to see who is looking good there or not. Callum Hawkins looked fantastic there, the rest of the GB bunch not so much. Also could tell ttowel was working quite hard, saw later his first 5K split explained why Smile

There are docks and shops nearby so quite spectator friendly, and not too busy either.

Just an FYI - from last year at Canary Wharf there is some building work going on at the moment, which means the course is slightly altered and viewing area is more concentrated than previous years, so seemed to make it more busy last year (same road is closed this year).
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exmouth Market - nowhere near the course, but a reassuringly local name and lots of nice places to have a few drinks and food.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
Just an FYI - from last year at Canary Wharf there is some building work going on at the moment, which means the course is slightly altered and viewing area is more concentrated than previous years, so seemed to make it more busy last year (same road is closed this year).
Yeah, it says that in the final race instructions. Advises against viewing in that area as whilst they are able to use the road to run through, the area is otherwise blocked off for normal spectators.

The amended route looks fairly interesting in the short out and back section after passing through canary wharf. Google maps shows it as a dual carriageway with dividing barrier, so they'll either have got rid of a section of barrier somehow, or it could be quite narrow using two lanes of one side, one lane out and one lane back?
chickenboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs M and kids have always camped at St James park and they're heading for the same spot again. It's near the finish so not much delay in meeting up at the end, which always means a faster route to your first beer
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking the St James park idea .. will relay to the boss!

And JibberJim, i didn't know there was an Exmouth market in London - it will indeed make my wife feel very much at home! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: