Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
ITU bike regulations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: ITU bike regulations Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I am looking to participate in the ITU GRand Final in Rotterdam in September (AG) and race the sprint. This is a draft-legal race. I am curious about the bike regs, and even after reading the ITU rules section on bikes I am still a bit confused about it.

Basically it reads that any bike with two wheels, traditional triangle frame, and certain measurements constitutes a bike. I don't think the wheel depths were referred to in any way (unless I missed it) and the regulations appear rather unspecific. So I guess my question is, that if I rock up with a standard road bike or an aero tube road bike with deep section wheels, will I be able to compete?

thanks,

www.mikajanhunen.blogspot.com
fat buddha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cardinal rules for age group draft legal bikes are as follows:

must have traditional drop handelbars
no tri bars of any sort - clip on or otherwise
wheels must have 12 spokes minimum (no discs)
no disk brakes

other than that and as you say, a traditional frame, then you can use deep rim wheels as long as they comply with the spokes rule

if you are racing at Rotterdam, then you must have qualified at a UK event - so what bike did you qualify on?? this would have been checked by a BTF official and passed as OK to race on.

the BTF and ITU rules are in harmony on most things these days - and especially technical requirements - so if you have raced and qualified in draft legal in the UK, then you are OK for the ITU Grand Final

hope to see you there - am waiting to hear if I'm on the TO team for it....
Wink
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.) In general, UCI rules, as of January 1st of the current year, will apply during competition
and also during familiarisation sessions and official training:
(i) UCI road race rules for draft-legal triathlon and duathlon races;

For Age Group draft-legal competitions, wheels must have the following
characteristics:
 Wheels shall have at least 12spokes;
 Disc wheels are not allowed.

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:

if you are racing at Rotterdam, then you must have qualified at a UK event - so what bike did you qualify on?? this would have been checked by a BTF official and passed as OK to race on.

the BTF and ITU rules are in harmony on most things these days - and especially technical requirements - so if you have raced and qualified in draft legal in the UK, then you are OK for the ITU Grand Final

Wink

Hiya Buddha, long time buddy. As it goes I am one of those ruddy foreigners and choose to sport my native colours rather than the union jack... hence my qualification was done based on application rather than racing. It's still a small sport back home... anyway, hope to see you at the races this summer.

www.mikajanhunen.blogspot.com
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunkydory wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

Wink

Hiya Buddha, long time buddy. As it goes I am one of those ruddy foreigners and choose to sport my native colours rather than the union jack... hence my qualification was done based on application rather than racing. It's still a small sport back home... anyway, hope to see you at the races this summer.

ah - in by stealth! nice one Wink

draft legal is still small in the UK relatively, but interest seems to be growing and events are coming along to allow it to happen. maybe catch up in Rotterdam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: