Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Bike Transport
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlito

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Bike Transport Reply with quote

What other reliable options aside from Nirvana are there to transport a bike to a race in Europe?
And would those other options be cheaper?
Aldo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest why are you looking for options other than Nirvana? Have you had a bad experience with them or just looking for better value? Weve always taken bikes with us in boke boxes but this year Im considering using ship my bike with Nirvana for the first time. Would be interested to know if anyone has had bad experiences with them

There is a company called raceforce who also do a similar service but not to every race
ed_m

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ship My Tri Bike were reasonable, I used them twice, had a few reservations but not too bad.

Very quickly saw that Nirvana started offering a similar service at a slight premium... and it was clear that on the ground SMTB were providing the service.

So it was disappointing but somewhat inevitable when they effectively merged, so now you can throw that in as part of a Nirvana package or use the service alone for a premium.

I've also used Nirvana for hotel booking, at a bit of a premium and didn't get any added value from that service. I'd rather organise things myself than pay a premium for someone else to do it, but some people are happy to pay that premium.

What that whole market is missing maybe is competition...
ed_m

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for using the word premium so much.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm driving to Pays D'Aix, but haven't decided whether to dissemble the bike into the car or buy an external bike mount.

Looking for car mount suggestions...
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Nobbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race Force do a similar service to SMTB, our club has used them a few times. Happy with service.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely Nirvana is a last resort, if the general-entry Ironman slots have sold-out. SMTB seem to have a good reputation, although the owner annoyed me by his constant spamming on the Forum, providing no additional contribution to TT.
ed_m

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Surely Nirvana is a last resort, if the general-entry Ironman slots have sold-out. SMTB seem to have a good reputation, although the owner annoyed me by his constant spamming on the Forum, providing no additional contribution to TT.

SMTB is Nirvana.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

SMTB is Nirvana.

I mean the travel/accommodation side. I take it Nirvana 'bought' SMTB did they?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always got on well with Nirvana and they are my go to provider for the out of the way races.....anything easily booked, I do myself...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Carlito

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldo wrote:
Out of interest why are you looking for options other than Nirvana? Have you had a bad experience with them or just looking for better value? Weve always taken bikes with us in boke boxes but this year Im considering using ship my bike with Nirvana for the first time. Would be interested to know if anyone has had bad experiences with them

There is a company called raceforce who also do a similar service but not to every race

Just looking for potential better value. Nirvana/SMTB and Raceforce are the two I have come across to date but I haven't used any yet as not traveled to a race in years, well not one that involves a bike. I am actually only travelling as a coach to this one too (Euros Kitzbuehel), but we are looking at options on how to ship my fiance's bike and the bike(s) of some of my athletes.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlito wrote:
Aldo wrote:

Just looking for potential better value. Nirvana/SMTB and Raceforce are the two I have come across to date but I haven't used any yet as not traveled to a race in years, well not one that involves a bike. I am actually only travelling as a coach to this one too (Euros Kitzbuehel), but we are looking at options on how to ship my fiance's bike and the bike(s) of some of my athletes.

see you out there...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Carlito wrote:
Aldo wrote:

see you out there...

yep - and me and Mrs FB. she's racing, I'm hoping to be on the TO team..

we're actually driving out in the motorhome so no need to worry about bike transport. in reality, we've always done this for Euro races (bar IM Nice as the city is crap for motorhomes) - good way to combine an event with a post race holiday
Andy916

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
I'm driving to Pays D'Aix, but haven't decided whether to dissemble the bike into the car or buy an external bike mount.

In the car, always, for me. External rack gets in the way, the bike gets covered in crap, is vulnerable to theft - a multiple PITA. I've considered a rack for 2-seater sportscars, but in the end used the hatchback instead.

I'm now doing a campervan project, which will also have the bike(s) inside.

Flying, I've always organised my own trip with bike in a box. Lanza multiple times, Mallorca, Switzerland, France and Italy so far. It's usually the last thing unloaded from the plane, you pay extra for its transit, hire cars and taxis can be niggly, and it's a big thing to lug around. But, you have your bike (useable) right before and after travel, and it costs less than the various premium services.
Whitters

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bikebox-online.co.uk/

Haven't used before but I've booked for Austria and will use again for Italy in September assuming no problems - essentially same service as Nirvana at around half the price.

Run by ex Xterra pro Sam Gardner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: