Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Globe Trotting Addiction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Globe Trotting Addiction Reply with quote

This covers two of my interests.

While globe trotting is way beyond my means I can see many benefits from it. But from reading a blog I have learnt that it can be addicting, in a constant high type of way where you keep needing more 'hits'. I know others get exhausted from it, but this addiction part intrigues me.

I understand addiction from eating too much and paws from mostly stopping drinking (I wanted to retain the ability to have a drink if I fancied one occasionally, and have been totally successful), and have invested a lot of time in understanding some other addictions I don't and have never had (e.g. Gambling) as a means to help me know myself a bit better, but it had never occurred to me that you could get addicted to globe trotting (especially given all of the negatives attached to it).

I mean if money was no issue I would be circling our globe many times, and have always studied maps and imagined travel since childhood. But my experience is limited to Egypt, Malta, France and Amsterdam.

Anyhow questions:-

1. Has anyone here found themselves addicted to globe trotting?
2. Would you agree that it is an addiction?
3. Is it a difficult addiction to break? (Assuming you are not forced to through job or money or relationship etc)
Gus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do a lot of travelling for 'fun' years ago and yes, if that's the way you're inclined, it can be 'addictive'. Money isn't always necessarily an obstacle depending upon the hardships you're prepared to put up with. I would add that the cheap-skate trips travelling on the lowest budgets always brought the best, most exciting and most memorable experiences.
If you 5-star hotel your travel, then what's the point? You're not truly experiencing the local culture. I remember many, many years ago for example in the North-West frontier of Pakistan looking through the railings of a top hotel, watching the first white person we'd seen in 3 months lying on a deckchair supping a cocktail. Me & my companion were dirty, body lice-infested, in local garb with rucksacks on our back with no idea where our next meal or bed was coming from. But I bet my memories of that trip were better than hers.

I've travelled a lot in the last 20 years (I believe like a few others on here) by virtue of being in the oil industry. The difference here, though, is even though I've travelled to some pretty amazing and awful places, I was always ushered around by a local agent or under someone's security umbrella. That independence and full-on experience had gone, so the real fun of travelling was lost.

And over-travelling sounds glamorous but it's not. I gave up being in the 'field' in my industry when I woke up one morning and it took me a minute or two to work out not just which hotel I was in, but which country. I got to a point where I was sick of travelling.

So, yes, go for it... most people on this planet sit around dreaming. It doesn't take that much to get off your arse and get on a plane somewhere, even if you have no plans when you get there. You seem to have done a lot in your life, Sloggers, so I don't think you'd have much trouble in motivating yourself to book a random flight somewhere and go 'experience'.

The sad thing these days is after years of Blair's (and the US) foreign policy, so many great places are off-limits for lone-backpackers now.

My 15 minutes of fame
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus

Due to government welfare changes I may be homeless this time next year, (worst case scenario but perfectly plausible) so this is just a pipe dream for me.

But you are correct that if I had the money i would be gaining yet another set of life experiences. However at my age (early fifties) with spinal stenosis (which will not stop me) I would definitely be looking at five star experiences, (with enough money not to be worried about bottles of water in room) though a stony sandy tent at mds doesn't phase me.

I would be up mountains, in Antarctica, in Jungles #@?# ing myself. Anyhow that is all pipe dreams for me. Mds is realistically doable in time (to get fit enough, and the money together) but the rest unless Mr Coutts give me that half trillion.....(I had better point out that this is my attempt at humour I know that half a tillion is a quarter of the UK m4 measure of money supply and way in excess of Coutts managed assets by a long way).

On a more general point Gus, you are correct I have had a particularly wide range of life experiences the particular combination of which is pretty unusual, but that is what life has served up to me. It has however been incredibly enabling. After all a long time ago now I answered the supposedly unanswerable meaning of life questions. Many spend their entire life wondering about those. So life has been good to me, through all of the crap.

At the moment I am ready to take further positive steps forward, the government are kicking my arse saying that we have changed the rules so sink or swim, but at my age options in the short term are limited. But hey ho.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
I used to do a lot of travelling for 'fun' years ago and yes, if that's the way you're inclined, it can be 'addictive'. Money isn't always necessarily an obstacle depending upon the hardships you're prepared to put up with. I would add that the cheap-skate trips travelling on the lowest budgets always brought the best, most exciting and most memorable experiences.
If you 5-star hotel your travel, then what's the point? You're not truly experiencing the local culture. I remember many, many years ago for example in the North-West frontier of Pakistan looking through the railings of a top hotel, watching the first white person we'd seen in 3 months lying on a deckchair supping a cocktail. Me & my companion were dirty, body lice-infested, in local garb with rucksacks on our back with no idea where our next meal or bed was coming from. But I bet my memories of that trip were better than hers.

I've travelled a lot in the last 20 years (I believe like a few others on here) by virtue of being in the oil industry. The difference here, though, is even though I've travelled to some pretty amazing and awful places, I was always ushered around by a local agent or under someone's security umbrella. That independence and full-on experience had gone, so the real fun of travelling was lost.

And over-travelling sounds glamorous but it's not. I gave up being in the 'field' in my industry when I woke up one morning and it took me a minute or two to work out not just which hotel I was in, but which country. I got to a point where I was sick of travelling.

So, yes, go for it... most people on this planet sit around dreaming. It doesn't take that much to get off your arse and get on a plane somewhere, even if you have no plans when you get there. You seem to have done a lot in your life, Sloggers, so I don't think you'd have much trouble in motivating yourself to book a random flight somewhere and go 'experience'.

The sad thing these days is after years of Blair's (and the US) foreign policy, so many great places are off-limits for lone-backpackers now.

Horses for courses Gus and, depending on the culture, you get to feel the poor parts certainly but it is equally worth spending some time across all sectors. One of the reasons our policy for Africa is so poorly managed is because we treat the continent as a third world and yet it has all extremes pretty much living cheek by jowl.

Travelling for work can be an experience for sure, but yes, the novelty does wear off.

Whilst I am not a fan of Blair's foreign policy nor much of the historic and recent US, much of today's unrest whilst still rooted in Kissinger's mess, cannot be solely blamed on past events. Eventually all people must be deemed accountable for their actions or we will never have anything close to a fair or free world.

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kissingers New World Order book is good reading.
JeffB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I like getting about although not to the point of backpacking, I'd like to go further afield than Europe but things like work and life mean it isn't as easy when you are getting towards 50. If money was no object it might be easier but I'm not sure I'd go for the 5* options.

I do have the aim of visiting every capital in Europe, just over halfway there ATM and I've done some of the more scenic ones like Kosovo and Skopje (which was actually very nice in a few places).

There's a few which are going to be difficult, visas required etc. and Astana is a fair trek.

Also got an odd urge to go to Pripyat\Chernobyl! Possibly if\when I get to Kiev.

On the flip side I don't have any real desire to go to places like Dubai. Although I suspect if you avoid the tourist glitz there is probably a lot more to them.

Jeff
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Yes, I like getting about although not to the point of backpacking, I'd like to go further afield than Europe but things like work and life mean it isn't as easy when you are getting towards 50. If money was no object it might be easier but I'm not sure I'd go for the 5* options.

I do have the aim of visiting every capital in Europe, just over halfway there ATM and I've done some of the more scenic ones like Kosovo and Skopje (which was actually very nice in a few places).

There's a few which are going to be difficult, visas required etc. and Astana is a fair trek.

Also got an odd urge to go to Pripyat\Chernobyl! Possibly if\when I get to Kiev.

On the flip side I don't have any real desire to go to places like Dubai. Although I suspect if you avoid the tourist glitz there is probably a lot more to them.

Jeff

every euro capital is quite a challenge...enjoy!

structuring your life so that you can achieve more than work is invaluable although others may call this selfish (or addiction if you want victim status)

the Kissinger book is called World Order

SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are indeed correct Ejc. Too much time in the past on Icke methinks. It remains however a very good read.
Thing of the Fountains

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SloggingScotsman wrote:
I would be up mountains, in Antarctica, in Jungles #@?# ing myself.

I'll come with you to the mountains and Antarctica, though it sounds like you'll want a bit of privacy in the jungles.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing of the Fountains wrote:
SloggingScotsman wrote:
I would be up mountains, in Antarctica, in Jungles #@?# ing myself.

I'll come with you to the mountains and Antarctica, though it sounds like you'll want a bit of privacy in the jungles.

antarctica has always been just over the horizon...one day...

FatPom

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to be fairly addictive. I've been to 37 different countries, lived in 5 (properly lived, not cosy long term 'training Wink ). I wanted to see 50 different countries before I die, but having a daughter late in life is pretty much the same as tying a 200 tonne anchored to your feet.

Seen many things, good and bad. Seen massive wealth and abject poverty and lots in between. Surfed some waves that were outstanding and experienced unexpected surprises (good and bad).

saw a chicken sacrificed at a football match in one country and was caught up in a car bombing in another.

Been an interesting life but i ain't gonna die rich, that's for sure Wink
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Used to be fairly addictive. I've been to 37 different countries, lived in 5 (properly lived, not cosy long term 'training Wink ). I wanted to see 50 different countries before I die, but having a daughter late in life is pretty much the same as tying a 200 tonne anchored to your feet.

Seen many things, good and bad. Seen massive wealth and abject poverty and lots in between. Surfed some waves that were outstanding and experienced unexpected surprises (good and bad).

saw a chicken sacrificed at a football match in one country and was caught up in a car bombing in another.

over 50 now with some very interesting, non tourist, locations included...in fact, mainly non tourist locations...it's been an interesting life which I hope is not yet over...

FatPom

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
FatPom wrote:

over 50 now with some very interesting, non tourist, locations included...in fact, mainly non tourist locations...it's been an interesting life which I hope is not yet over...

Nice work Smile

Apart from Sth Korea and the DMZ, most of my non tourist stuff was before I was married.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Nice work Smile

Apart from Sth Korea and the DMZ, most of my non tourist stuff was before I was married.

spent most of my married life trying to declare a DMZ ... Smile

FatPom

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
FatPom wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Nice work Smile

spent most of my married life trying to declare a DMZ ... Smile

Just put your fingers in your ears and chant 'I am Switzerland, I am Switzerland' Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: