Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
How to return to training after illness
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jgav

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: How to return to training after illness Reply with quote

So I got hit with a nasty bug over the bank holiday weekend, high temperatures for 4 days straight and other unpleasant symptoms. I lost 4kg in mass too (approx 5% body weight) mostly dehydration I'm guessing. Good news is that the temperatures are gone today and I know I'm getting better.

Really don't want to hold off training for too long as I've barely been out on my bike for 2 weeks now but can't prolong this illness and I know doing too much too soon is a terrible idea.

What is the safest way to return to training?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowly...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jgav

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Slowly...

Anything more specific? Or just got for a gentle spin out on the bike and a ride. Then maybe by the weekend do a 20min zone 2 run?
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: How to return to training after illness Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
So I got hit with a nasty bug over the bank holiday weekend, high temperatures for 4 days straight and other unpleasant symptoms. I lost 4kg in mass too (approx 5% body weight) mostly dehydration I'm guessing. Good news is that the temperatures are gone today and I know I'm getting better.

Really don't want to hold off training for too long as I've barely been out on my bike for 2 weeks now but can't prolong this illness and I know doing too much too soon is a terrible idea.

What is the safest way to return to training?

Unstructured regular training to start with, based on how tired you feel. - so something every day, up to an hour.
After a week or this (give or take) if you feel okay bring back structure but keep the intensity down and no crazy high volume.
After a week of that hit the ground running with full training.

(I'm assuming a 10hour+ a week training programme is being followed of reasonable intensity)
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Slowly...

Anything more specific? Or just got for a gentle spin out on the bike and a ride. Then maybe by the weekend do a 20min zone 2 run?

it depends on which ever would lead you less fatigued....bike usually best, spin out legs, keep HR low and monitor recovery

when pre illness recovery levels have returned you can push on...

HJackson74

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't rush into training right after being ill... Your health should be a major priority, not an obstacle at your sport career. Make sure you have recovered fully before going back to training Smile
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You shouldn't rush into training right after being ill... Your health should be a major priority, not an obstacle at your sport career. Make sure you have recovered fully before going back to training Smile

Could you tell me what time the 8.30 train from Waterloo departs please?
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need convincing, the idea of training is to put your body under stress, then with nutrition and rest you will first recover from the effort and then your body will use its resources to make adaptations for the next time you under that stress, ergo you get fitter.

Note the body only starts doing the adaptation thing once the immediate crisis of basic recovery has been sorted (refuel, repair damage etc). Being ill is a massive stress on your body and all its resources will have (and probably still are) being spent on dealing with the illness and its aftermath.

THERE IS NOTHING LEFT OVER TO 'SPEND' ON LESS IMPORTANT MATTERS SUCH AS TRAINING ADAPTATIONS.

If you train too hard/too early (being still tired is a sign of this), the body will divert some precious resources into the basic recovery bit from the session as that is most urgent, then spend the rest on continuing to deal with the illness.

Net result: you have pushed yourself through training session probably not feeling 100% and the result has been you have delayed the full recovery you crave from the illness and you have got no positive training adaptations.

It's hard but patience will reward you!
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been feeling grim for two weeks now, just tired and weak, more in the arms than the legs. Also a bit light headed.

Pulled out of London, but still went for the holiday and did a bit of walking, didn't get better or worse.

Tried a bit of training over last weekend, and then Sunday evening I was feeling pretty rough again. Didn't do much except a bit of walking on Monday. Tuesday AM was feeling worse, but perked up after a couple of paracetamol and more food. Then had about 10+ hours sleep on the night.

Feeling a bit better now but still quite tired so not really contemplating any training until I significantly improve. As TRO says there really isn't any point.

It's rare that anything lasts this long for me, and I haven't had symptoms like a fever, runny nose, sore throat etc. if I had I could understand it.

Spoke to my Dr on Tuesday and he thinks it could just be some virus (my G\F had was in bed for 4 days a few weeks ago which is unusual), so something is going around, know a few other people who have been ill.

He said to see if I'm feeling better next week, rather than deteriorating.

Frustrating but it is probably helping a few niggles I had.

Jeff
Jgav

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm back up to doing a bit of light walking but still completely worn out and symptoms haven't fully passed. I'll see if I can get out and some some more longer walks this weekend. Can't quite believe how badly this thing wiped me out. I've also managed to stabilise my weight and started eating again, though not back to my normal diet.

Will be taking it slowly, don't worry.
Jgav

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a very gentle (10min mile pace) 3 mile run today. Definitely feeling it this afternoon.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhhmmmm...so you were exhausted after walking and therefore you went for a run....

Jgav

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Hhhmmmm...so you were exhausted after walking and therefore you went for a run....

Something like that, the power of recovery (or stupidity) of a man in his 20s.
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after my stupidity (in hindsight) of running on Saturday and feeling tired all Saturday and Sunday, I took it as easy as possible until today. Meaning, feet up on the sofa and early nights. Started feeling much better, more energy and less wiped out.

This culminated in heading out on my bike for 45 mins today and it felt great. Took it relatively easy uphills, mostly just spinning legs Even now I'm not feeling too tired. A few more days of easy runs and bikes and I am hoping I'll be back in action. Just in time for my taper (not that I need one right now) for a half oly on 28th May.

Really need to get some cold water acclimatisation in because with being ill I've not done any yet!
antht

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

download EliteHRV and check your HRV in the morning
let your HRV determine your training and recovery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: