Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
N+1 Time - any deals?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: N+1 Time - any deals? Reply with quote

So the FD has signed off on my buying a new TT bike. I have been for a pre purchase Retul fit. Due to my size (6'5'', looooooong legs) there are basically only about 3 bikes which are suitable. The Cervelo P3 61cm, the Spesh Shiv XL and the Scott 20. The Scott is woefully underspecd compared to the other two.

I favor the P3. NRG had the 2016 model reduced to 2.6K but not in the 61cm size. I have pinged them an email to see how desperate they are to shift it and would they do a discount. Wait and see.

Otherwise I am looking at 3.6 / 4.5K depending on whether I go for mechanical or DI2. We noticed that the mechanical also has a crappier crank and BB. My previous experience of FSA cranks was good (I bent it).

I am not sure if the DI2 is worth the premium? On the other hand this will be a bike not for life but for a very long time so wonder if I should buy the best I can.

Anyone know when there are likely to be any deals? I had thought of buying on finance 0% but I know that wont give me the best deals so might put it on a 0% credit card instead.

Also should I consider the Shiv? They are slightly cheaper but the spec is not as good, especially the cockpit which looks much better on the P3.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been very pleased with ultegra Di2 on my road bike...would certainly look to upgrade my old DA if I ever replaced my current P3

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at Edelrad. They have 61cm P3s. I'd be tempted by the frameset, and to build that up.

http://shop.edelrad.de/en/173-p3

Enjoy whilst we are assured of free trade Wink
JimboP

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Have a look at Edelrad. They have 61cm P3s. I'd be tempted by the frameset, and to build that up.

Don't discount the P2 either. Exact same frame. Lots of pennies left over to upgrade bars, wheels and drivetrain etc..
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Interesting. The frame only is 1500. I already have some 45mm Enve wheels with PowerTap and a Sitero saddle so would only need a groupset and cockpit.

I have just priced it up. I can get the frame, a Rotor 3D+ crank and aero chainrings, a Dura Ace DI2 upgrade kit from Edelrad for 3,300. The same price as an Ultegra mechanical complete bike from Sigma etc.

Would be about 400 less if I went for Ultegra DI2. Just then need a Vola 3T cockpit.

Excuse my ignorance but would I have to pay additional import duty?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:

Not whilst we're in the EU Smile

I don't like the stock components on a lot of complete bikes (especially the bars) so framesets have always appealed to me. If I had the dough sitting idle, I'd like a Speed Concept 7.0 frame; integrated front brake, but a standard stem/bar interface, so I can use my choice of base bar & extensions. You can pick-up a (complete) ex-stock SC7.0 for under 2k now.
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Yeah I like the SC but the stack and reach are way off for me.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having upgraded my TT bike to DI2 over the winter, I would say that it is definitely worth it, so much nicer to be able to shift on the aero bars and shift while braking. DI2 has more advantages on TT bike than on road bike - and I have DI2 on both
Mungo

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the di2 for my Argon before I bought the frame, bars and growing number of wheelsets.
Unless you ride up and down dual carriage way type roads why would you not have di2 on a tt bike.
I'm far from fussy but I just can't ride my road bike now, the sram force is very good but the "chatter" going in gear drives me nuts.

Anyone want a Focus Izzalco pro 2012/13. Bike of the year!
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
iwaters wrote:

Not whilst we're in the EU Smile

I don't like the stock components on a lot of complete bikes (especially the bars) so framesets have always appealed to me. If I had the dough sitting idle, I'd like a Speed Concept 7.0 frame; integrated front brake, but a standard stem/bar interface, so I can use my choice of base bar & extensions. You can pick-up a (complete) ex-stock SC7.0 for under 2k now.

The integrated front end of the Trek SC is one of the most aero and adjustable on the market, why would you want to swap it out?

I built up my SC from a frameset module and wouldn't change it for any other bike, it's been great
Andy916

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimboP wrote:
Don't discount the P2 either. Exact same frame. Lots of pennies left over to upgrade bars, wheels and drivetrain etc..

I was thinking there were differences but, yes, it seems they're the same now http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Tri_Bike_by_brand/Cerv%C3%A9lo_s_brand_new_P2_4131.html

Love my 10-yr old P2C, now with Adamo saddle, Magura brakes and various wheels. It was good enough for Chrissie, and I'm much the same (small) size as her. Cost me 1200 s/h from a friend, plus similar amount on upgrades over 5 years, and still rides beautifully. The original Ultegra 10-spd shifts flawlessly, as well or better than Ultegra 6800 on my 2014 road bike. Although Di2 etc is possibly as reliable now, I'm sticking with mechanical as it still works well, and the knowledge to fix any part of it is ubiquitous.
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the main difference in the nwq P2 and the new P3 was the fork?
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea the P3 fork is different as is the aerobar, the wheels and the groupset (although you can buy the P2 with Ultegra DI2)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:

The integrated front end of the Trek SC is one of the most aero and adjustable on the market, why would you want to swap it out?

It's not a matter of swapping it out, it's just not buying the integrated bars version. Either way, I have other stuff to spend my money on.... when a new frame will save me hardly anything over what I have now. Frames offer some of the biggest diminishing returns for you money, once you get to something like a P2/3 or SC7.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my TT bike a while back and couldn'r really justify another but it's the first time in 20 odd years I've not had one, so I looked at the market.

I have two problems, one is that I have a very long torso compared to my leg length and the other is that due to constant operations on my back, my position is always changing. Basically I need a long reach but minimal drop.

I was looking at Argon 18 (117) and I like to build my own bikes, so Etap was on the list but I had a moment of clarity after pricing up a frame and bits and considered whether this bike will get used a whole lot. I plan to TT next year again but my body is crumbling these days.

So decided to get something mechanical, then if I'm really using it a lot, will swap the parts out. Also decided to go witha built bike, I think the first time in over 25yrs.

Had a fit an lo and behold got the 'you're between sizes' outcome (no surprise there Exclamation ). At this point I was open to suggestions on any brand.

I had considered a P2 but didn't like the kit and couldn't find a frame. P3 are a great bike but far from anything approaching good value IMO. Argon 18 was a front runner but needed to be order in a large size. Cervelo was coming out at 56. On paper a 54 looks ok for me but I'd need a mountain of spacers, like I say, I'm compromised either way.

Said I'd think about it and mull over. An Argon 18 with etap and no wheels (not needed) was going to be 3850, mechanical Ult was 2699.

In the end, I got a NOS 2015 P3, no wheels and upgraded saddle (Fizik Mistica) for 2100. I never thought I'd have a P3 due to cost/value and it's the first bike I've ever owned with Shimano.

I run the post quite low and fairly forward. i have the 3T Aura carbon bar (pad can move sideways but not fwd/back). The whole set up looks a bit weird but seems to work my my circumstances.

I like the way it handles, even climbs ok, gets along fine. I don't like the Magura hydro brakes, they stop my 404s well enough but the lack of width adjustment without affecting lever pull gets on my nerves. Might swap to mecahnical. The FSA Gossamer crank is made of cheese but is 172.5 anyway and I'm thinking of going to 165 to allow a slightly higher saddle height and more open hip angle.

My busted up back and shoulders make it hard to really hold a good position but on a 54 my knees would be hitting my elbows. Overall I'm happy but only because of the price, otherwise a P3 would not have been in the mix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: