Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Garage Security
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Garage Security Reply with quote

Following my new bike thread. I need to upgrade the security on my garage. Wife wont let me keep the bike indoors Sad

My current door needs replacing. You could punch the plastic window out and open the latch in about 30 seconds. I am looking at replacing with a Secured By Design door with a 3/4 point locking system. Like http://www.garagedoorsale.co.uk/naseby-sbd-steel-garage-door.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CPjgiorq1dMCFZEy0wodogQPMQ

Was then thinking of an alarm in the garage and finally maybe the Hiplock Airlock or just a normal bike lock secured to a wall anchor.

I don't live in a dodgy area. I dont want it obvious that there is something worth nicking.

Also insurance.

Anything else, is the above overkill? I guess also I don't want to make the garage so secure that someone breaks into the house to get the garage keys.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think like this, but then realised there were easier and cheaper things I could do:

- Park your car up against the garage whenever possible; if you have 2 cars, you can still do this when you go on holiday too.
- Don't leave your bikes out in the open where random passers-by or people visiting on business can see them; basically keep them low-key.
- Don't tell strangers about your awesome bike collection, or let them be able to see them & your location online via FB or Strava etc.
- Have a visible alarm that doesn't look like a dummy box.
- I have installed a couple of simple shed door 'turn buttons' I can use when we go on holiday i.e. if you can trip the cable release on the main door, the door is still held in place (I can then only access via the back door, which is not accessible from the street).

Everything else is up to you & how much money you have versus the area you live in. But a low-profile is the best way to avoid 'detection' by dubious characters.
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would also say that if you do any of the online willy waving (AKA Strava), always start your activity away from the house.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoulOleRon wrote:
Would also say that if you do any of the online willy waving (AKA Strava), always start your activity away from the house.

Obviously 'lock' your account permissions. That said, other cyclists can probably see where you ride, even if they don't follow you: via leader boards. I generally start at the end of my road.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoulOleRon wrote:

even more simple, don't bother with Strava to start with Wink
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My strava settings have home hidden so the first/last 1km doesn't show.

I thought about the car but my wife normally parks hers on the drive and expecting her to do that everyday isn't going to work. She will either hit the garage door or just forget Smile

The door needs replacing anyway as the latch is fubar.

I never leave my bikes out anyway and I am in a cul de sac so there aren't many people passing.

I looked at the insurance their guidance isn't clear. It says if its in a shed or garage it must be secured with a rated 5 point mortice lock or locked through the frame to an "immovable object" with an approved lock. An up and over door wont ever have a mortice lock and the definition of immovable is something requiring extreme or violent force
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
My strava settings have home hidden so the first/last 1km doesn't show.

I thought about the car but my wife normally parks hers on the drive and expecting her to do that everyday isn't going to work. She will either hit the garage door or just forget Smile

The door needs replacing anyway as the latch is fubar.

I never leave my bikes out anyway and I am in a cul de sac so there aren't many people passing.

I looked at the insurance their guidance isn't clear. It says if its in a shed or garage it must be secured with a rated 5 point mortice lock or locked through the frame to an "immovable object" with an approved lock. An up and over door wont ever have a mortice lock and the definition of immovable is something requiring extreme or violent force

Yes, we used to live in a cul-de-sac, they are great for minimising passing 'trade' and highlighting lingerers. In our last garage, I put hooks in a beam, and locked the bikes to the beam using an 'approved' lock. I think sawing through the beam would constitute 'violent'. Keeps them up & off the floor too.

When I finally find the idle cash to replace our existing garage door, I'm going to get one that opens from the side with a traditional door handle/lock, not an up & over.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

valuable things live inside the house.

Empty boxes and other worthless #@?# lives in garages.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:

Only students & single people have bikes in the house Wink

Untermensch!
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

Untermensch!

Indeed. Even if I was allowed to keep it in the house, the kids would trash it.

Found this site, they sell an anchor and chain kit which is Gold approved.

http://securityforbikes.com/products.php?cat=Ground+Anchor%2C+Chain+and+Lock+Deals
jibberjim

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

Untermensch!

Good job my wife is currently a student then!
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

Untermensch!

Or those that aren't pussy whipped Very Happy

I don't do strava, don't have a Garmin, dont do farcebook. Bike have always been inside, always will be (I don't ride a mountain a bike or a commuter).
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:

Ha ha touche Very Happy

Tbh, I loved having them down in a basement room in Germany, but in our house now (sans basement), I prefer having the bikes, trainer, treadmill, tools & workbench all in one place. Plus I can open up the garage door front & back to let air in when I'm 'indoor' training.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Ha ha touche Very Happy

Tbh, I loved having them down in a basement room in Germany, but in our house now (sans basement), I prefer having the bikes, trainer, treadmill, tools & workbench all in one place. Plus I can open up the garage door front & back to let air in when I'm 'indoor' training.

TBH, I've I've never lived in a place with a garage attached to the house so i'd probably do it differently if I did. I'm looking to get a motorbike again when we do buy our next house (which will have a garage). I have a pole in our house that bikes sit on and the turbo next to that. I like the idea of a garage to keep the tools in and 'stuff' but prefer the bikes inside.

I do wonder about when little one is older though and the prospect of her pulling them over.

Anyway, I'm just jealous, we live in the middle of Winchester and have on street parking. I get 'driveway envy' looking at other folks' homes, let alone garage envy Very Happy
beddows_s

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following a break in locally we looked at improving the security on our garage. Have put some garage door bolts in. Secure onto the door and then mine slot into holes drilled into the concrete base slab. If someone wanted to they could get in but acts as a deterrent to hopefully push someone snooping away onto an easier target
Snowdon Marathon
Cotswold 113
Brecon Man
Big Woody
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: