Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Garmin Battery Life - real life values
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Garmin Battery Life - real life values Reply with quote

Afternoon all.

So i have a 100km run in a couple of weeks, and wondered what people's thoughts were on the battery life of their Garmins? I'm guessing i will be 12-14 hours with a bit of luck.

I have the Forerunner 230, and will try to run a test to see how long the battery lasts. A question though - if i just leave it on the windowsill for a day, will this replicate being on a run i.e. doed it use the same amount of power confirming it is in the same location (on the window) as trying to work out where you are now (moving). I'll set it down from 1 sec recording to smart which should buy me some extra time ... at the speeds i'll be going, it won't be a big deal.

Also what is the deal with GPS/GLONASS?

I have my old 305 in a drawer somewhere, though i can't find the charger. It ran just under 12 hours in my one and only IM, but i seem to remember that it was running low at the end. Though how well i'd charged it etc i can't remember.

Any other thoughts on extending and /or testing battery life? What do other ultra types do (other than remortgaging to buy a Fenix!!)

I may just have to take two and stitch them together - for Strava obviously! Rolling Eyes Very Happy
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Forerunner 220 lasts about 5 hours before it dies, but it is quite old and abused. I had to use it on a bike ride once, and only just scraped home before it beeped angrily at me

I like the "12-14 hours" Very Happy nice and vague
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha!

12 hours is a dream goal considering the terrain and it's my first attempt at this sort of distance. 14 is my backup plan! Anything slower and i'd best have a good excuse ready!! Very Happy Very Happy
Iaincognito

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my garmin 620 struggles to do 8 hours, so
For Ironman's (I'm 12-14 hour range) i use a garmin edge for
The bike and double up with the watch for the run.
My old 800 would do about 15 hours, and my 100 does
About 12 but you can charge from a power stick in use.

For the edges, I've found the backlight has to be almost
Off. Glonas didn't seem much of an issue but Bluetooth/wifi
Off helps. Any loss of gps signal or Bluetooth connection kills
The battery though.

Also there are apps for later edges, I think the stryds one gives
Running metrics on a bike device, but I've found the apps drain the battery
More.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iaincognito wrote:
I think my garmin 620 struggles to do 8 hours, so
For Ironman's (I'm 12-14 hour range) i use a garmin edge for
The bike and double up with the watch for the run.
My old 800 would do about 15 hours, and my 100 does
About 12 but you can charge from a power stick in use.

For the edges, I've found the backlight has to be almost
Off. Glonas didn't seem much of an issue but Bluetooth/wifi
Off helps. Any loss of gps signal or Bluetooth connection kills
The battery though.

Also there are apps for later edges, I think the stryds one gives
Running metrics on a bike device, but I've found the apps drain the battery
More

Yep - last year i had some quite cool app son my watch, but they made the battery go all weird. It would just drop 20/30% randomly during a run and run out real fast. As soon as i reset the device and cleared them all away, it was fine again.

Garmin reckon the 230 is worth 16 hours on recording mode ... so i suppose there's a chance it could last 12-14 if i turn off all of the extras.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLONASS will drain the battery a bit faster. It's the Russian equivalent of GPS satellites, so by having it switched on, you're effectively doubling up the processing power needed to connect to two location systems. I've read in various places it reduces battery life by about 10%.

If you can turn the backlight off completely, that will probably help, and also any vibration or sound alerts. I would have thought that if the guidance is 16hrs, with everything switched off and on smart recording, it should be ok.

DCR does similar tests with leaving things on a windowsill/on the roof, but he has said that makes things "easy" for the watch. So that will definitely be "best case".
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a gentle 100 miles the other day with a few stops and a long overall time - 10.29 elapsed time.

My 310xt lasted the entire ride and had a bar left.

My 810 switched off at about 93 miles and half an hour or so to go.

The 810 wasn't navigating and I had an HR strap on.

(I had them both on as I've not long had the 810 long and stuffed up the buttons a few times!)
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool cheers all.
Gonna try and giveit the full charge, switch all the extras off and carry my old polar in the bag as a back up, in case i need to record the last bit and stitch the two files together.
Saying that i may not veen make it to the end! haha
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are people getting with the 920XT? Longest I've used mine so far is 4h with GPS, which obviously didn't trouble it.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update*** for future reference.

As i mentioned above, i switched all the gadgets off and ran with my FR230 on GPS only (no bluetooth or hrm). I had it set to vibrate alert every 5km but that was it. Also turned the activity tracker off.

It lasted my whole event which was 13hrs. I had one low battery alert not far from the end, and when i put it on charge it said it had 11% left. So i think i'd have got another hour out of it i think.
Andy916

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin replaced my 920XT because of 15-hour max battery life rather than the 24-hour claimed. That's with activity tracking, GLONASS, wifi and bluetooth switched off; smart recording was selected as were default backlight settings but the buttons (and therefore the backlight) were used very little. Was wearing the heart-rate strap but had no other sensors (have since added powermeter).

At the time I was doing ultra-events with 24hr cut-off and needed the battery life.

Replacement seems better but I would guess high teens rather than 24 hours. Plenty of similar experiences if you search. Basically with the 920XT they made it slimmer than the 910 and lied about the battery life.

Before replacing it they did offer this palava:

"When the appliance is on charge unnecessarily long or unnecessarily often, the battery can become 'lazy'. You can extend the battery life in many cases using the instructions below.

1. Allow the battery on the device to discharge completely.

2. Charge the unit for 48 hours consecutively.

3. Once again allow the unit to completely discharge.

4. Charge the unit for 5 hours or until it reaches 100%

Furthermore, we recommend that you check if your device has the latest software, to ensure that the device is running at optimal capacity.

Finally, a performing a Master Reset on the device every now and then can ensure that there are no corrupt files other issues with the device."
MrTim

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit late for this event, but it appears mine (different model) can be charged whilst also tracking. If you don't mind a bit of fecking about and have a bag you can stick it in you could take a USB charger like this along with you, and plug it in for a while:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerCore-Portable-Ultra-Compact-Fast-Charging-Technology/dp/B01CU1EC6Y/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1495643134&sr=1-4&keywords=usb+portable+charger
smitters

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like standard Garmin battery #@?#. I have a fenix 1, bought for the alleged 50 hour battery life, only to discover it's pretty much impossible to obtain. In the end, I have resorted to using a charging strap connected to a small usb power pack. Unlike plugging into a laptop, to does not prevent the Garmin from recording, so you can charge on the go and still record your normal stats. It's a pita having to attach the charger cable, but better than it crapping out after ten hours when I need it for more than twice that.

For what it's worth, if any other watch maker added a mapping function to an HR watch, I'd ditch Garmin forever. Until then, I'm stuck with it, but then I'm a bitter old git.
mrchopsaloty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fenix 1 doesn't have actual mapping does it? Just "breadcrumb" navigation I thought.

If that's enough for you, Suunto definitely offer the same. Not sure how battery life compares though. Doubt it's significantly better.
smitters

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchopsaloty wrote:
The Fenix 1 doesn't have actual mapping does it? Just "breadcrumb" navigation I thought.

If that's enough for you, Suunto definitely offer the same. Not sure how battery life compares though. Doubt it's significantly better.

Correct - breadcrumb. To be honest, I tried to look through the Suunto website, but it was too baffling with the wide variety of seemingly identical models. I know, I know, go to a shop, but as and when the Fenix dies I'll definitely check Suunto out now. I find the breadcrumb more than enough with an actual paper map as backup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: