Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
I guess it happens to the best as well

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: I guess it happens to the best as well Reply with quote

Chris Froome posted this on twitter after a driver forced him off his bike

https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/861860980430696448

sheesh
tommy060289

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant figure out if drivers are just getting worse and worse these days and it's acceptable to have complete disregard for others or if the tw*ats are just getting more attention now as the cycling papers know it is good click-bait.
Jgav

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ar$ehole should be done for attempted murder
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened in the south of France, so not just British drivers who are getting worse Mad

Strange wording in the BBC article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/39854961

Froome "claimed" to have been rammed by a car Rolling Eyes He's definitely had contact with something to destroy both wheels Shocked
iwaters

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Strange wording in the BBC article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/39854961

Froome "claimed" to have been rammed by a car Rolling Eyes He's definitely had contact with something to destroy both wheels Shocked

I noticed that as well. They also mentioned the geolocation of the photo posted was from near his home. Which kind of highlighted that they had bothered to check as they didn't really believe him.

As if he had got a picture of a smashed up Team Sky Dogma off the internet and made the story up.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the damage to the wheel and frame appear to be consistent with being hit from behind. If this was the case, I would assume that this is attempted murder and he was very lucky to get away unscathed

It may be completely unrelated, but friends in France tell me that there is a great deal of frustration in the South following the elections. Some people are really upset that it will be another 5 years before they have the chance to turn France into a Fascist state.
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Whisk wrote:

I noticed that as well. They also mentioned the geolocation of the photo posted was from near his home. Which kind of highlighted that they had bothered to check as they didn't really believe him.

As if he had got a picture of a smashed up Team Sky Dogma off the internet and made the story up.

Not sure if they have updated their story but it's actually

claiming to have been "rammed"

Small point of difference, but likely relates to the fact that they are relaying his choice of term for being knocked off.
Mungo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Cyprus. Its nearly 30 everyday and bike hire is cheap.

Why do I spend the first two hours of the day inside on a static in a puddle of sweat and pain?

Ask Chris Froome and countless other careful riders who came a cropper to some idiot, or more likely someone not paying attention. I love racing but I love my life more, riding on the road....anywere is so dangereous now.
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
I am in Cyprus. Its nearly 30 everyday and bike hire is cheap.

Certainly beats being stuck here in Preston...
Mungo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

? Thats were I'll be next Monday...small world.
fruit thief

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
? Thats were I'll be next Monday...small world.

Eh? I thought you said you were there already?
steveymac

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo - where abouts are you?

Spent just over 2. 5 years based out in Cyprus and thought the roads were a pleasure to ride on, courteous drivers for the most part and very cycling friendly in general. Was based in the east but seemed like that all over, maybe not so much in the big towns but outside them and in the mountains or over the north was great...miss it alot!
Mungo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion.
On holiday for three weeks in Cyprus.
Live v near Preston.

Stories like todays with the TDF Champion...and several others, make me basically scared to ride on any roads in any country.

I ride a 6 mile loop with four left hand bends, including hunters hill, and basically thats it. My bike handling is enough for most courses and I plan to do a few sportives this year.

The drivers here do seam very courteous here but it only takes one....

My watts are up and I'm happy, carp I know but it's that bad.
MrTim

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty much given up cycling (and thus triathlon. Not sure why I still post here Razz) because it seems far too dangerous now, and just concentrate on running. Ironically it's mainly because the council have spent millions on cycling infrastructure, which involves lots of random pointless and #@?#
cycle paths everywhere. This is almost always done by widening the pavement to make it a shared surface with pedestrians which loses priority at every junction, which of course also means narrowing the road. That makes it far more difficult and dangerous for cars to pass you safely, which of course stops very few from doing it regardless (particularly when a lot of people think "they've built the cycle path, so you're obviously only not using it because you want to hold up cars!"). Other roads, particularly in the city centre, have been closed to cars entirely, forcing far more vehicles onto the few remaining routes they can still use. Unfortunately the one hardest hit is on my way to work with no alternatives (cos it includes a rare bridge over the river), so riding there is out too. On top of that, most of the roads have have been covered in that really rough and unpleasant "loose gravel" type surface, which is horrible to ride on at the best of times, and often simply dangerous because the stuff just gathers in the gutters. Bloody bastards!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: