Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Cotswold 113 & Classic Events 2017
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Cotswold 113 & Classic Events 2017 Reply with quote

That time of year again. Huge entry list for the 113 this year (1200+?). I'm in for this again next month; hoping for better form (and weather!) than last year; 5th year at one of these events (plus a 226).

Who's in this year, I know there are a few....
Cheggers

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much more a lurker than a poster on here usually but I'm in for 113, as is my son - making his debut.

My wife, youngest son and in-laws are marshalling. A family day out!!

(Also hoping for a significant improvement on last years weather)
stenard

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'm in (for both). Easier to quote my posts on targets from the Sub11 Training thread. It was lovely weather in August 2014, so hoping for the same again!

stenard wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:

Only half was Cotswolds 113 in 2015 in 4:37 - (35, 2.32 [82km], 1.27)
Bike should have been quicker, swim was excellent as i barely trained at all, run could be improved upon, was a hot day and i suffered at the end.
What's most interesting is your Cotswold time, as I've done that same race and that was my first HIM too (just the August 2014 one which would have still been the short bike). We did exactly the same swim and bike (35, 2.32), you just took a lot out of me on the run (1.44) which is unsurprising given your running pedigree on the 3h thread. Still, the fact you've also done wales sub12 is useful to know (I was probably thinking sub14 tbh had I done it!)

I'm actually doing the 113 in a few weeks, so it will be interesting to see how I compare to 2014. In an ideal world I'd roughly match my 4.57 time, which would be improvement on the basis of the longer bike they have now, but the cycling is the big unknown. I've just not done very much this year because of marathon training. That said, my swimming is a lot lot better. And my standalone HM time is nearly 14mins down from 2014 as well. My plan is to have a good swim, be conservative on the bike, with a view to a decent run. We will see!
stenard wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:

I'm actually doing the 113 in a few weeks, so it will be interesting to see how I compare to 2014.

If you're on form, expect about +10-12 min in my experience (on the bike). I have a 4:20 & 21 on the original Classic course, but my first event on the longer course wasn't great as I was injured in the lead-up; obviously still way inside your 4:57 on the shorter course though youngster Wink

I'll be there on 4th June too Twisted Evil

Whilst it's all relative Very Happy, I definitely don't feel like a "youngster" within my club! Plus, I start getting extra time on GFA qualifiers for all mara's except London after next year, so that makes me feel like I'm at least approaching being considered "old".

10-12mins is probably the kind of improvement I am expecting on the other disciplines, so my sub5 target on the new course is probably feasible if I have a solid day. Would hope for a 4min improvement or so on the swim, maybe as much as 10mins on the run if I actually take the bike steady, and I also spent an eternity in transition back in '14 too. Whilst I don't feel in the same bike shape as 2014, I do now have better equipment, so that might help offset! The definition of buying speed Wink

Might see you on the 4th then. (And August??)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've done the Classic in 2013/14/15 and the weather was good every time. The 113 last June however, was awful!
TSH

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in. No major goals for this race tho.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSH wrote:

Andy! A professional lurker these days?
kevb

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in, along with a few others from OxfordTri
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see some people are now worried it might be non-wetsuit next week Rolling Eyes Laughing It's a couple of warm days and then it's back to mixed weather again anyway. Non-wetsuit would favour me competitively, but I really don't see that happening.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be surprised if that was the case, I agree. I wouldnt say it would "benefit" me, but I've swum a fair bit OW in a trisuit as there are days when I just havent been able to transport the wetsuit with me, so I should be ok. Time might be a bit slower maybe.

I'm just hoping for reasonable(ish) weather. The long range forecast has been flicking between cloudy and rainy for the past few days.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave 5 for me by the way, so may miss many of you in transition. A slightly more acceptable start time, but does mean the run could get quite congested by the time I am on it.

I think I was about similar when I did the Classic in 2014.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be slower non-wetsuit (who isn't?) but I would lose a lot less time than your average MAMIL as my legs don't sit at 45 degrees without one!

Wave 1 for me, so whilst it's early, it's way less congested on the bike & run. I would welcome a drier ride than last year too. I think there are 8 waves this year; the first Classic I did was only 3 waves (2013)
Cheggers

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at next weeks forecast, if it's correct I can't see it being non-wetsuit but don't particularly care if it is. It's the same for everyone.

I requested the 6:30am wave. I think the police championships is the 6:20am wave and I liked the idea of chasing the police rather than have them chasing me.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see from the update email what you were meaning Jorgan. As mentioned, I'm not that fussed if it does go non wetsuit, but I know one or two other people who might be getting a little bit nervous!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I see from the update email what you were meaning Jorgan. As mentioned, I'm not that fussed if it does go non wetsuit, but I know one or two other people who might be getting a little bit nervous!

It always worries those heavy-legged MAMILs who smash the bike, as they won't start with fresh legs MWAHAHAHAHAHA Laughing

It'll be wetsuit anyhoo.
TSH

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
TSH wrote:

Andy! A professional lurker these days?

Lol - I missed this response! Not enough lurking me thinks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: