Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Cotswold 113 & Cotswold Classic Middle Dist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stenard

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0llocks. I appear to be getting ill Mad
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often feel lethargic, a bit ill, or just generally off-par leading up to bigger/longer events; let's hope it's psychosomatic for you too. Fingers crossed.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I often feel lethargic, a bit ill, or just generally off-par leading up to bigger/longer events; let's hope it's psychosomatic for you too. Fingers crossed.
Unfortunately not. Sore throat, coughing up crap, runny nose, croaky voice.

Resting HR is also >20% higher than normal as tested this morning. 53 instead of low 40s as normal.

Definitely ill. And I hardly ever get ill. Just hoping I can shake it in the c72hrs before race time to at least take the water. I doubt I'll be at 100% though, which is rather frustrating given I've been having some really good indicators in training over the last few weeks.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather looking quite fresh for us early starters, not too much wind though.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say 10 degrees isn't too bad (according to BBC weather). And half an hour or so for us in the mid-waves is unlikely to make a significant difference at 6am!

Looking like it's back to non-wetsuit again per last nights email. I'd been weighing up a swim skin at the start of the week, but then decided not to bother once they implied it was looking like cooling down. That said, the cost investment for me is hardly worth it either way!

I'm still feeling crap, and just walking up the escalators on the tube has me slightly out of breath, but resting HR was back down to low 40s this morning, so fingers crossed I've already peaked the worst of it.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, it'll be wetsuit legal. It's funny seeing the hysteria the threat of a non wetsuit causes though.
Tupperware

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20.7 degrees this morning and raining this afternoon/evening (albeit lightly).....wetsuits-a-go-go! Very Happy
stenard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have found my new taper strategy! Do literally nothing for three and half days before a race. Just maybe without the illness part! Still didn't feel 100%, but decent enough, and totally smashed the base goal of matching my Classic 2014 time from the older, shorter course.

4.40.22. I've rather shocked myself with that! Everything went well. A sub 30 swim (out the water in 29 dead), a really well paced bike (went a minute faster on the second lap and still felt like I was somewhat cruising), and the best middle distance run off the bike I've achieved, going sub 95mins.

A successful day!

I did miss the sailing boats as turn buoys tho! Sad
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My swim hat didn't even last to the first buoy this time Laughing Don't know what it is going on with my head.

Swim fine, bike fine (although somewhat congested on lap 2) and then onto the run, which was struggle after about a km! It was my slowest HM in an event thus far; okay I'm not getting any younger, but I think more biking strength/mileage is needed if I'm to run to my potential in longer events. Luckily still ahead of Stenard though Wink Well done on your course PB, sounds like you had a good day.

The roads just seem to be getting worse year-on-year around there; particularly hard to see the potholes on lap 2 when it was busy.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
a really well paced bike (went a minute faster on the second lap and still felt like I was somewhat cruising)

How busy was it starting in Wave 5? I was wave 1, and it was predictably quiet first lap, then chokka second lap. My laps were only 10 sec apart, because let's be honest, I had people starting lap 1 with fresh legs to pace off.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:
a really well paced bike (went a minute faster on the second lap and still felt like I was somewhat cruising)
How busy was it starting in Wave 5? I was wave 1, and it was predictably quiet first lap, then chokka second lap. My laps were only 10 sec apart, because let's be honest, I had people starting lap 1 with fresh legs to pace off.
I actually think the middle waves might be about perfect. I'd say lap 2 was actually slightly quieter. You spend the whole of lap 1 picking off the slower people from the earlier waves (no huge draft benefit, altho probably some, but definitely nice short term mental goals), and there's not really any chance of catching anything other than serious stragglers from the later waves on lap 2. And they are few and far between, so no big deal.

I was just about fast enough to have a clear-ish lap 1 and 2 on the run. Lap 3 was a little congested, but I was tired by that point so it wasn't the end of the world.

I can definitely see that in wave 1, you'd have a perfectly clear first lap, but then lap 2 could be carnage with as much as 7 other waves worth of riders all mingled together, quite likely in bunches. At that time, you're also mixing in some cars getting stuck behind those packs. I imagine as a fast wave 1er, you do get a desolate run course, although maybe caught up more at the points you cross the bike course?
Potentially relevant that 2nd and 3rd overall were from waves 4 and 5. Confused

If I choose a wave for August, I'd probably select wave 4 I think.
Jorgan wrote:
Luckily still ahead of Stenard though Wink Well done on your course PB, sounds like you had a good day.
Thanks! I did spot your time being only a couple of minutes ahead. Your run time definitely surprised me, from what I've seen of your results before.

I still consider my position really "un-aero", so if I can evolve that whilst not damaging power or comfort, I think there's some easy gains there. It's just nice to finally have a reasonable run off the bike for once. That said, given the slightly short course, it was still c12mins slower than my standalone PB. Although the trail nature of the course, crossings, and single track paths with a bit of congestion have a slight impact, I couldnt have gone much faster, if at all.

Jorgan wrote:
The roads just seem to be getting worse year-on-year around there; particularly hard to see the potholes on lap 2 when it was busy.
Agreed on the roads. Some parts were horrific. Like, you'd have no chance not to go airborne if you hit one. I did pull off one or two bunny hops over things I saw at the last minute.

I accept we can't ask for velvet smooth roads, but given the frequency these events run on those roads, and the number of people participating, I'm surprised most of the huge caverns of pot holes havent been dealt with by the council purely on the grounds of serious H&S concerns.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Agreed on the roads. Some parts were horrific. Like, you'd have no chance not to go airborne if you hit one. I did pull off one or two bunny hops over things I saw at the last minute.

I had to bunny-hop one on the junction in Down Ampney, sounds pretty good with a disc Cool That section just after Kempsford before the tight left hander was awful.

Graeme's team (I think) had painted around them on one stretch on the return trip.
TSH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite enjoyed my first short race in quite a few years! It looks like we were pretty well matched - except for the head start I gave both of you in the swim. That reminds me, I must start some swim training soon!

Well done to both of you!

I found that I was getting baulked a bit on my third lap by the masses being fed out onto the run. I am not sure that this race can grow any more given the run course. Fair play to Graham and the team tho, a most enjoyable day out!!! Smile
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry chaps, sub 4:40 is the benchmark on this course Giggle
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I still consider my position really "un-aero"

This is what I mean! I'm basically a wall Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: