Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Cotswold 113 & Cotswold Classic Middle Dist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may as well use a a road bike.

Looks like you have loads of scope to lower the bars, even with that sloping geometry, and get the arms closer together. That's a Spesh Transition isn't it? Even with lower bars, you could get an Aero 30 on there, and a Tri Rig brake like wot I has. The Transition is a decent enough frameset.

Did you lose the straw mast? I have glued mine on. I also use the 'solid' lid which I have retained by drilling it and using a small zip tie for refills on the go.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you decide to be kinder on reflection and edit the original one?! I actually thought the shaking head was rather appropriate! It's definitely far from efficient.

The frustrating thing is this came from a bike fit. I think I need another and to try someone else. I do think I've got more comfortable in the aero position, as I used to get quite a bit of shoulder pain when on the extensions, so I think that's why it was set up to be so relaxed for longer distances. Maybe I can now hold something more aggressive.

Correct on frame. Lowering the front end is definitely an easy first step. It has a reversible stem that the fitter has set to the higher setting, so I might try flipping that to drop a few degrees quite quickly. My elbows are wide, and whilst I'm sure I could live with narrower for Oly, any longer and the comfort in the shoulders does begin to become an issue. I have no idea how some people get their elbows so close together and stay comfortable.

On the omega, I think there's some big savings to be had just in my own flexibility, and therefore position, before I start splashing the cash for the odd watt here and there on equipment like that! No bike images came up for you, but you've posted your position before, and if I could get into something remotely like that then I think there's easy gains to be had. Per strava, our rides on Sunday were actually very similar in power* terms.

EDIT - yes, lost the straw mast. Neat suggestion about supergluing if I get another. Not quite sure I get what you mean about the lid. I use the solid one for Oly, but the one with the slits for longer. It does mean the bike needs a bit of a clean after Rolling Eyes

*Your HR on the other hand was insanely low. I'll put that down to your age Razz
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Per strava, our rides on Sunday were actually very similar in power* terms.

EDIT - yes, lost the straw mast. Neat suggestion about super-gluing if I get another. Not quite sure I get what you mean about the lid. I use the solid one for Oly, but the one with the slits for longer. It does mean the bike needs a bit of a clean after Rolling Eyes

*Your HR on the other hand was insanely low. I'll put that down to your age Razz

Stalker! Very Happy

Ref the Torhans. I drilled a hole in the bottle, made a hole on the lid, then threaded a thin zip-tie through it, adding another 'locking piece' to the other end. So you don't get a loop, but a straight bit of zip tie with a bulge on both ends to retain it. Then I can just flip it off at aid stations to refill, and replace again.

I'm on the first page of free downloads of bike pics - not wearing black this time. Follow the bike, not the kit..... Wink There are less than half a dozen people on that first page with a decent aero position!
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok. I see what you mean. So the solid cap is effectively permanently connected to the bottle so that you can flip it up and not lose it. That's quite a clever solution.

Found your images. Body position is obviously different (it's clear I need to get significantly lower at the front), but the biggest knock on impact that has is on the head. Yours is noticeably within the frame of your body, whereas mine is creating a huge additional area of drag all by itself.

Being proper stalker-ish, it's interesting comparing our segment times on a single main lap. It's almost like my un-aero position helped me get a push on the way out with the tailwind, but then seriously costs me on the way back into the headwind.

Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

Found your images. Body position is obviously different (it's clear I need to get significantly lower at the front), but the biggest knock on impact that has is on the head. Yours is noticeably within the frame of your body, whereas mine is creating a huge additional area of drag all by itself.

Plus my helmet tail sits on my back, so there is no low pressure area there, that most people have. If the bike is your weakest split (well normally!) then you need to find all the free speed you can Smile

At a race in April:

graeme4130

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning All
Sorry I've been a slacker and not keeping up on TT for a while.
Thanks to those of you that made it to the 113 3 weeks ago.
If you've not seen it before, we had a local company make a drone video of the race, which I think came out pretty cool
https://youtu.be/QJO_kFb-KZs

We are working on the Potholes with the council, and we've found a really useful person to help us from the Local area that has some leverage with the powers that be in the gloucestershire and Wiltshire councils, so hopefully, this will mean that the worst of them are fixed by August 13th for our Classic Race, and then all of them done by next year's events.

The two middle distance races will shrink a bit for next year too.
We're super lucky to be filling out both races with 1000+ Competitors, but it's just getting too big. Not so much for the course as we can cut paths wider and tweak things to accommodate more people (especially as we will have parking for 3,000 cars from next year), but more because it's just becoming less fun to run it, and the difference between dealing with 8-900 people and trying to deal with emails etc from 1,150 people just tips it over the edge of what is and isn't enjoyable. For the first time this year, I felt like I couldn't deal with people in th way I like to, and I was simply running out of time. I'm quite anal when it comes to the way things are done, and in the run up to the 113, I'd be working 6am to 10pm on the races for a few weeks, and it very nearly got on top of me.
I love doing it, but only as I can do it the way I want, so next year we'll drop the numbers down a bit to make time to focus on the things I love doing, which is dealing with competitors and making sure the race is perfect in every way possible

Yesterday, we had our last running of the 226 Race, and I'm battered now
I'll be sad to see it go, but we had a good run at it, and it just didn't take off like we'd have liked it to.
It's not totally a financial decision either (although yesterday did cost us a not insignificant amount to run it), but it's more that I'm lucky to have a really good team of guys around me, and for us it's a 26hr day. They all do it as it's part of the working for 113, but they don't like the 226, whereas they all love the middle distance races

Web - www.113events.com
Twitter - @113events
F/Book - http://www.facebook.com/113events
Wicksy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear the 226 going Graeme as I had a really good day yesterday. Did the 113 three weeks ago as well. The roads for the 226 were excellent compared to the 113. Obviously with over a 1000 people at the middle distance events you get a fantastic atmosphere but your marshall were awesome yesterday in keeping us going even with only 125 competitors. Party Clap

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the 226 is a lot of work for the number of entrants; it certainly felt lonely out there on the bike when I did it, and it always seems to be battered by the winds. The run however, always felt well supported, and last year it was hot, so a lot of extra people around the lake which just gave it that busy feel...although the BBQs did turn my stomach a bit!

I see the run course was changed again for this year; some pretty special times there as a result Wink
Wicksy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were some pretty special athletes out there. Wink

Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wicksy wrote:

I'd agree with that; I still remember you having to push your bike up that hill on the Spring Classic in 2013 after you fell off Wink Very Happy
Tupperware

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame to hear that will be last 226, extremely happy I took the plunge and went long this year at your event. It appears I was racked next to Wicksy yesterday, maybe that's what made it so special? Wink

The 113 events always have the best marshals and given the time I spent on the run yesterday I was highly appreciative of the support/banter.

All the best with the Swindon Half.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo the sadness of the 226, but I can definitely empathise with the points you made Graeme. Sadly I never got to do it, but it was earmarked as my first long course next year! Oh well!

I loved the idea of the 180k TT sportive too. That was on my schedule for this year until a family event clash scuppered that. There just aren't enough options out there to do stuff like that, so that's a shame.

That said, the middle distance events are so much fun, and the marshals so enthusiastic, that I can definitely see the point in keeping them all on side if they arent enjoying the full day of the 226. It would definitely be a travesty if the middle distance races suffered some fallout.

Sounds like August will be a little better road wise, so I look forward to that. Just need another nice day now and see if I can trim that pb a little further!
Wicksy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Wicksy wrote:

I'd agree with that; I still remember you having to push your bike up that hill on the Spring Classic in 2013 after you fell off Wink Very Happy

Ahh the cotswold spring classic of 2013. Sat in the car beforehand at the start of April watching it snow. 102 miles on my old Pink Planet X which sadly died last year. Whenever I'm having a tough bike ride I think of that day.

Glad to race with you Tupperware. Made me push the bike a bit harder.

Hoping to race again in August either as an individual or part of a team. Very Happy

Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wicksy wrote:

Ahh the cotswold spring classic of 2013. Sat in the car beforehand at the start of April watching it snow. 102 miles on my old Pink Planet X which sadly died last year. Whenever I'm having a tough bike ride I think of that day.

I did it again last year. Weather was again poor; it was at the tail-end of a storm so a lot of people who had to travel didn't turn up. Only about 70 of us did the 100 in the end, and I rode on my own practically the whole way Rolling Eyes

Just as I approached that ford crossing I caught a guy; I was expecting it - but he stopped and I was through it like John Tomac Cool
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:
Per strava, our rides on Sunday were actually very similar in power* terms.

EDIT - yes, lost the straw mast. Neat suggestion about super-gluing if I get another. Not quite sure I get what you mean about the lid. I use the solid one for Oly, but the one with the slits for longer. It does mean the bike needs a bit of a clean after Rolling Eyes

Stalker! Very Happy

Ref the Torhans. I drilled a hole in the bottle, made a hole on the lid, then threaded a thin zip-tie through it, adding another 'locking piece' to the other end. So you don't get a loop, but a straight bit of zip tie with a bulge on both ends to retain it. Then I can just flip it off at aid stations to refill, and replace again.

I'm on the first page of free downloads of bike pics - not wearing black this time. Follow the bike, not the kit..... Wink There are less than half a dozen people on that first page with a decent aero position!

Torhans seem to have taken your idea, and over-engineered it into a new product...
https://www.torhans.com/products/aero-series-new-splash-spill-proof-cap

If I could just find a reasonably priced aero30 somewhere, I'd definitely adopt your approach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: