Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Cotswold 113 & Cotswold Classic Middle Dist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidwilcock wrote:
113 is sold out already. crap...

Yep, gets a little earlier every year. Not sure if Graeme has reduced the numbers back to around 900 again too, as last year with 1200 it was very congested in places.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidwilcock wrote:
113 is sold out already. crap...

I know Graeme said he was reducing the field size a bit to make it more manageable, but blimey!

I didnt enter last year until about April, albeit the 113 was sold out so I had to purchase the 113 & Classic combo pack, but that was actually a really good deal.
RookieSam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the standard HIM price for the 113 was something like 125 plus a small admin fee. pretty darn good huh?!
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the waiting list for the 113. Forgot to sign up in time.

Need to find an alternative 70.3 if I don't get a spot. Or maybe I spend another season at sprint/oly before trying out a middle distance.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RookieSam wrote:
I think the standard HIM price for the 113 was something like 125 plus a small admin fee. pretty darn good huh?!

It was 144.50 (after the first 150 slots). Still waaay less than IM70.3 Staffs which is currently 275, plus travel costs in my case. It's a no-brainer imho.
blindcider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn Missed it again. With the Woody and Titan Weston dying the 113 is about the only half distance race in the west country Mad

I really enjoyed Titan Weston, shame it only had one edition
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindcider wrote:
Darn Missed it again. With the Woody and Titan Weston dying the 113 is about the only half distance race in the west country Mad

Not so long ago, there were a glut of Fulls, but I get the impression they are now reducing too, as non-WTC entries are spread too thinly. I think what we need are more non-standardised distance events in great locations with good selling points. Y'know, like the 80s/90s & even 00s before Ironman became overly popular.

Otherwise, the danger is that all we'll be left with are novice Pool Sprints & IM70.3/Ironman.
graeme4130

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
blindcider wrote:

Not so long ago, there were a glut of Fulls, but I get the impression they are now reducing too, as non-WTC entries are spread too thinly. I think what we need are more non-standardised distance events in great locations with good selling points. Y'know, like the 80s/90s & even 00s before Ironman became overly popular.

Otherwise, the danger is that all we'll be left with are novice Pool Sprints & IM70.3/Ironman.

There's non branded full distance races closing all over unfortunately, our Cotswold226 being just one example.
I can see why though, as people just want that 'Ironman Razzmatazz' that they do so well when they're investing so much time and effort into a race
We had a good 4 year run at the 226, but numbers just dwindled every year, and in the final year, we didn't even have 150 starters and it cost us a small fortune to run. Add that to the fact that my team hated it as it's such a long day for them, and the pushing of relationships with the neighbouring areas, and it was a no brainer for us to knock it on the head and call it a day with that race.
I've noted even the Outlaw full has started to fill later, whereas when it first started, it was full very quickly. The Outlaw's a truly great race too, and the guys that organise it really care about athletes, which can't perhaps be said for the market leaders. Perhaps we're seeing the start of an IM global domination for full distance races, as other than Roth, I don't believe the Challenge races are doing great either in either full or Middle Distance.

The 113 and Classic seem to have been getting more and more entries earlier year on year, which is great, but does mean that a lot of people that want to race now can't.
As Jorgan rightly says, we've reduced the numbers down this year by around 200 as it just got too big to be fun, and what was already a pretty monstrous thing to organise, became big to the point where I started to not enjoy it.
I already work 17hours a day 7 days a week on the race in the run up to an event, and having the race at 1200 just became a bit too much for me and started to have an adverse effect on my already receding hairline, as well as nearly turning me into an alcoholic Smile
I love the races, and I want to keep it that way, so I've reduced the field down by 20%, but it does mean that I now deal with 20 emails a day asking where people are on the waiting list and what they're chances are of getting in
Being honest, anyone joining the waiting list now doesn't really have a chance of getting into the June race, but the August 5th race is still open and taking entries

I don't get the chance to get on here much, and only check sporadically, but if anyone has any questions about the race, then I'm on 07595 591612 or graeme@113events.com, so please feel free to get in touch, or you can DM me through here

Cheers

Graeme

Web - www.113events.com
Twitter - @113events
F/Book - http://www.facebook.com/113events
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took out the insurance option this time, as I'm changing jobs, so future plans not certain. I should have known I could have sold it on anyway!
RookieSam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really really looking forward to this event Graeme, the reports on race check seem super positive so I'm coming with the whole family including little ones to camp!
Jgav

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme if you do decide to take pity on a little old Tri Talker and create and extra space, do let me know Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked about races with USPs, to make a change from the samey WTC stuff. It strikes me that Lake 32 is a good venure for a 'rolling' triathlon format i.e. SBR/SBR. Obviously this is for the summer months where you wouldn't need a wetsuit for the second or third swim. There's probably a little bike circuit you could do down the Spine Rd, up the B4696, left and then left again down Spratgate Lane. Then run a lap of the lake. Repeat as required.

Of course, they were doing this stuff in Longleat with the elites 25 years ago Cool There's a video on You Tube of Lessing & Welch head-to-head in this format.
blindcider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I talked about races with USPs, to make a change from the samey WTC stuff. It strikes me that Lake 32 is a good venure for a 'rolling' triathlon format i.e. SBR/SBR. Obviously this is for the summer months where you wouldn't need a wetsuit for the second or third swim. There's probably a little bike circuit you could do down the Spine Rd, up the B4696, left and then left again down Spratgate Lane. Then run a lap of the lake. Repeat as required.

Of course, they were doing this stuff in Longleat with the elites 25 years ago Cool There's a video on You Tube of Lessing & Welch head-to-head in this format.

That sounds cool. Having really enjoyed watching the pro superleague formats it would be great to be able to do something similar.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindcider wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

That sounds cool. Having really enjoyed watching the pro superleague formats it would be great to be able to do something similar.

Yep - having done a 113 and two Classics, I'd be up for something unique like Jorgan describes. As he suggests, the venue would be pretty good for something like that.
graeme4130

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Let me have a think on it and a chat with the team Wink

Web - www.113events.com
Twitter - @113events
F/Book - http://www.facebook.com/113events
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: