Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Challenge Regensburg is no more!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Challenge Regensburg is no more! Reply with quote

Looks like Challenge has binned the Regensburg race: http://en.challenge-regensburg.com/blog/2017/11/14/challenge-regensburg-informs-athletes-about-the-current-situation/
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, they also had Challenge Cologne a few years ago and it got dropped but the race continues with lots of distances.

Was 1 or 2 years it has been a challenge?

Also noticed Ironman Frankfurt seems to have rebranded to be Ironman Germany and partly dropped the European championship moniker, wonder if it will go somewhere else in the coming years.

Jeff
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ETU Champs is at this race in 2018, so I'd imagine that will 'save' it. This is all shame, as Regensburg is a great venue. I've no doubt an Ironman race there again would get a lot of entries but they struggled there politically, hence the end of IM Regensburg. I'd imagine the CEO of Challenge wants to pull-out due to dwindling entries, but the RD wants to keep the event going.

I'm just glad I got to do the Ironman/Full race in it's prime. I also did an Olympic Dist race there in 2008, where we swam in the canal section right in the centre of the city (not the Danube obviously, as it's a torrent!) and that was well organised, with a run around the park by the river.

It's a UNESCO World Heritige site and the city wants the race, but apparently something keeps undermining it. Pity.
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
The ETU Champs is at this race in 2018, so I'd imagine that will 'save' it.

Afraid not, the ETU champs are now going to be elsewhere (location TBC).

It sounds like the city still want a race, so there will be an iron distance race, just not the ETU race and not under the Challenge banner.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhittleFit wrote:
It sounds like the city still want a race, so there will be an iron distance race, just not the ETU race and not under the Challenge banner.

20 years ago that would have worked, but the lack of brand will ensure there are virtually no travelling or foreign athletes.
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
WhittleFit wrote:

20 years ago that would have worked, but the lack of brand will ensure there are virtually no travelling or foreign athletes.

Agree. So you might get a few hundred 'locals' racing but not much more than that.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhittleFit wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
WhittleFit wrote:

Agree. So you might get a few hundred 'locals' racing but not much more than that.

How fortunate we were to do it in 2010/11 respectively - two very different weather years! The Ironman version had an honest bike course too, and a really nice run around the city & park. I would imagine the Swim & Run doesn't really change between the various events, but the bike probably will; it's certainly a lot flatter now.
leahnp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i can gather the ETU and ITU MD and Long events in Europe are not organised by Challenge hence the festival approach. A shame really
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leahnp wrote:
from what i can gather the ETU and ITU MD and Long events in Europe are not organised by Challenge hence the festival approach. A shame really

It's a symptom of the popularity of Ironman branded events, and the unadventurous brandwashed nature of the modern triathlete.
leahnp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutted to read that Challenge Iceland is no more Sad I did the inaugural event in 2016 which was a toughie as it was very cold and wet and this year was in gale force winds but it could have been an iconic event. The 20,000 Euro affiliate fee to host the event as a Challenge must have been too much this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: