Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New car dilemma
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
we went from a BMW 318D M-sports estate to a Ford Kuga 2.0D. the change was mainly as we were fed up of the sports suspension on the Beemer on sh1te Zuzzex roads, and went for a SUV that could manage the potholes etc much more comfortably.

however, I'm surprised that the load carrying of the Kuga seems less than the BMW - probably due to internal length. I could get 2 bikes (front wheels off) in the Beemer with no problem; the Kuga will take them but it's a bit more tricky to get them in.

otherwise, no problem with the Ford - I was reluctant at first but it's actually a pleasure to drive

A few years ago, Mrs FP and I did a 4wk surfing tour of the US west coast. We hired the US Kuga equivalent (can't remember what it was called), nice space up front but like you, I was surprised how little room inside there was compared to the size of the car.

Nice car in a straight line but handles like a drunken tug boat around Big Sur. (still managed to get the fat balding Mustang drivers to pull over though Wink )
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenboy wrote:
Assuming Mrs May gets her way, isn't she planning to give diesel cars a good kick in the nuts? I've got an 2012 A6 avant, great car and space for bike kit, but seriously thinking of changing to a petrol BMW 5 series touring.

But look at the choice of petrol engines in most model line-ups; very limited. Residuals are still also not as good at present. I don't think diesels will get hammered, they will probably just tighten-up regulations and maybe increase the VED a little, but what are you gonna do, it's petrol or diesel if you want range/convenience... or wait for electric to get better & more affordable.

What I don't like about the 520, and which probably affects most modern turbo-diesels, is that with 8 speeds, it's constantly searching for gears in Auto and is a PITA on country roads as a result. I always put it in Sport/Manual driving over mountain roads or overtaking (something I guess most never bother to do).

Personally, I prefer the normally aspirated big petrol engines everytime; so much smoother (and more expensive to tax Rolling Eyes ). Now where's that Ferrari FF brochure.

Last edited by Jorgan on Thu May 11, 2017 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
we went from a BMW 318D M-sports estate to a Ford Kuga 2.0D. the change was mainly as we were fed up of the sports suspension on the Beemer on sh1te Zuzzex roads, and went for a SUV that could manage the potholes etc much more comfortably.

however, I'm surprised that the load carrying of the Kuga seems less than the BMW - probably due to internal length. I could get 2 bikes (front wheels off) in the Beemer with no problem; the Kuga will take them but it's a bit more tricky to get them in.

otherwise, no problem with the Ford - I was reluctant at first but it's actually a pleasure to drive

A few years ago, Mrs FP and I did a 4wk surfing tour of the US west coast. We hired the US Kuga equivalent (can't remember what it was called), nice space up front but like you, I was surprised how little room inside there was compared to the size of the car.

Nice car in a straight line but handles like a drunken tug boat around Big Sur. (still managed to get the fat balding Mustang drivers to pull over though Wink )

maybe that was the usual "soft as marshmallow" US suspension though. our Kuga is actually not too bad on bends - not as tight as the Beemer for sure but it has quite surprised me as to how good it is.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
FatPom wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

maybe that was the usual "soft as marshmallow" US suspension though. our Kuga is actually not too bad on bends - not as tight as the Beemer for sure but it has quite surprised me as to how good it is.

That'd be it. When I look at the Kugas here, I'd swear the one we had in the US was a little bigger but otherwise the same in every way. I keep thinking it was called either a Discovery or Explorer but I'm old and senile these days, so gawd knows Embarassed

Funny story, we had the thing for 4 days before I realised it had a sun/sky roof. It was only because we parked at a supermarket that had some stairs that I noticed it on the way back down to the car. I thought 'hey, why is there a black line on our roof' Confused Very Happy
leahnp

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a look and there seems to be a lot of 520d's in automatic. Going to have a look at the Disco sport this weekend after my oly so I will have the bike in the boot to give it a test.
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leahnp wrote:
had a look and there seems to be a lot of 520d's in automatic. Going to have a look at the Disco sport this weekend after my oly so I will have the bike in the boot to give it a test.

Test drove one of the Disco Sports. Great for me (6'5") but less so for MrsFoul (midget) as by time seat was adjusted she was pressed up against the windscreen due to slope of said glass. Also, you need to take a good 15MPG off their reported figures (as you do with most urban tractors).

Used to have a Qashqai - midget loved it, but I did not - the seats curve quite a bit at the top, and I reckon you need to be under 6'ish to be comfortable ongoing.

Looked at Kias and equivalent 4x4 and the boots were all pretty poor.

Ended up with an X3 and love it. Not particularly efficient, but really comfortable, seems good for all sizes of people and boot space with seats up is pretty good, and great with seats down. You could even get a mattress in there (if you know what I'm saying - wink wink etc)
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
chickenboy wrote:
Assuming Mrs May gets her way, isn't she planning to give diesel cars a good kick in the nuts? I've got an 2012 A6 avant, great car and space for bike kit, but seriously thinking of changing to a petrol BMW 5 series touring.

But look at the choice of petrol engines in most model line-ups; very limited. Residuals are still also not as good at present. I don't think diesels will get hammered, they will probably just tighten-up regulations and maybe increase the VED a little, but what are you gonna do, it's petrol or diesel if you want range/convenience... or wait for electric to get better & more affordable.

When we bought our Passat Estate a couple of years ago, VW were only offering it with diesel engines. The salesman said that there just wasn't the demand for the petrol version and the resale values were poor, so they stopped importing them. I'm sure that'll change with all the talk of punitive taxing of diesel cars.

It's not the most exciting car, but for practicality and load capacity I can't fault the Passat.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the turbo-charging of modern petrol engines, the VED has reduced on most models, even high performance ones. Dare I say it, turbo charging conveniently brings the CO2 emissions down at the requisite test levels Rolling Eyes

Suffice to say, you can buy a 600bhp+ car now, that sits below the top VED band.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a new shape Toyota Rav4 hybrid as a workhorse, plenty big enough and pretty comfortable too. 16 plates 2nd-hand seem to fit your price range but not sure on depreciation further down the line.

Not got outstanding MPG on long journeys but actually very relaxing (and economical) in traffic on just the electric motor.

They don't set the world on fire, and as it's through the Mrs' car scheme at work I can't compare it to anything else suggested on here as we didn't test drive any alternatives, but I have no complaints!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a Subaru XV which, when Mrs eJC allows me to drive it, is quite impressive....

not best mpg (2l petrol), but quite roomy and comfy over long journey

bike in back with wheels attached (just), or two with fronts removed...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Pebble 2

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
FatPom wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

That'd be it. When I look at the Kugas here, I'd swear the one we had in the US was a little bigger but otherwise the same in every way. I keep thinking it was called either a Discovery or Explorer but I'm old and senile these days, so gawd knows Embarassed

Funny story, we had the thing for 4 days before I realised it had a sun/sky roof. It was only because we parked at a supermarket that had some stairs that I noticed it on the way back down to the car. I thought 'hey, why is there a black line on our roof' Confused Very Happy

You would have rented a Ford Edge, its a Kuga on roids Smile
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pebble 2 wrote:
FatPom wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
FatPom wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

You would have rented a Ford Edge, its a Kuga on roids Smile

Just looked at the old photos, it was called a Ford Escape.
Pebble 2

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Smile

Going back to the original question, I can also recommend the Ford Kuga having owned a couple, there are two major variants a 2wd or 4wd. You can pick up the 2wd a few grand cheaper but your resale value is less when you come to sell. Myself I'd go for the 4wd Titanium version, its a lovely drive with a great engine Smile
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pebble 2 wrote:

Nice Smile

Going back to the original question, I can also recommend the Ford Kuga having owned a couple, there are two major variants a 2wd or 4wd. You can pick up the 2wd a few grand cheaper but your resale value is less when you come to sell. Myself I'd go for the 4wd Titanium version, its a lovely drive with a great engine Smile

is that an engine that you may have had some input to by any chance?? Wink

we have the 2wd Ti version with a few extras. it was one of the last of the previous version we bought last November as the Ford dealers wanted to get rid of them to get ready for the new version, we got a great deal on it.
Cat5 in the Hat

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mondeo Estate.
Massive boot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: