Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Nice cycling location in Spain ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrahamO

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Nice cycling location in Spain ? Reply with quote

Thinking about buying somewhere in Spain as a holiday home but have no idea where to start. From my point of view, I would like somewhere I can cycle when there and from Mrs O viewpoint, she doesnt want to be near any big holiday resorts so she can avid meeting any of the UK's most populous exports Smile

Anyone got any views - whether to go up north of Barcelona, or to go down south near Murcia area ?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this where everyone says Mallorca! I guess property prices are higher there though. Girona is where you want, historically popular with those pros seeking a little assistance Wink

Joking aside the Costa Brava is a nice area, a bit greener than further south, and easy to pop across to France if that takes your fancy.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would prefer the mainland over the islands which are still busy with holidaymakers most of the year, and there is a lot less choice of places which are a bit quieter.
ed_m

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of friends just got back from organised trip to Girona..... looked rather nice and much lumpy cycling available.
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you consider Andorra?
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a great time cycling around Murla, Alicante
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
Would you consider Andorra?

No, probably too far from the sea.
Magnacarter

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a family place in the first of your suggestions, about half way between Barca and the French border (in my case, in a place called Calonge).... the cycling is unbelieveably, outrageously good, and there are lots of very unspoilt coastal villages and towns to enjoy... its no accident that so many tour teams are based there!

I would recommend the whole area without reservation.... Only things to be aware of, are that flights are very cheap in Girona with Ryanair, but finish end of Oct, so after that, its a flight into Barca with Easyjet (no big deal, but a 1hr transfer, rather than 20mins), plus, its not a year round sunspot... it does get chilly in the winter, and after Nov, is like a ghost town (although we quite enjoy that on occasions!).... we nearly always drive now, partially as it makes it easy from a baggage point of view, partially as we always seem to have loads of stuff to lug backwards and forwards, and partially as the drive over the Pyrenees, via the Milleau bridge is just spectacular, and we make it part of the holiday.... takes us 15hrs door to door from the east mids.

I've cycled in much of Europe, and perhaps with the exception of parts of Italy, the cycling is unrivalled.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: