Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Tub Going Flat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Tub Going Flat Reply with quote

I was pre-stretching some tubs ahead of gluing this week. I have two main tubs and then a cheaper spare. I fitted valve extenders to all. Everything was ok except the spare keeps going flat.

It seems to lose quite a lot of pressure quickly (120psi to flat overnight) but I cannot detect where it is coming from. I am guessing it could be the valve extender.

Does anyone use PTFE tape on these? I haven't bothered and the other 2 are fine. is it likely to be leaking inside due to a manufacturing fault?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try PTFE tape on it and see. I use a little bit on all my tubs (extenders). The other thing to check, is if the valve core is tight. 120psi to flat overnight is not right, even for latex tubes.
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubs and latex tubs apparently lose pressure at a rate of about 1PSI per hour, so 120 to flat is definitely not right I agree.

Is the spare mounted on a rim too? What tub is it?
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Stan's tubeless sealant in mine for puncture protection insurance, but maybe this would fix what seems to be a very slow puncture for yours?

Oi knee, do one....
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having said that, as a spare is this a problem as you would ever only be inflating it part way through a race/ride?

Oi knee, do one....
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Tubs and latex tubs apparently lose pressure at a rate of about 1PSI per hour, so 120 to flat is definitely not right I agree.

Is the spare mounted on a rim too? What tub is it?

I mounted it on a rim without glue to pre stretch before I glued up my main tyres. Its a Vittoria Corsa Elite which I got cheap from Merlin.

Its definitely not right. I put the main tyres which are GP 4000s II on and they lost about 15-20 PSI overnight which sounds about normal. The Corsa was flat as a pancake.

Ill redo the valve extension with some PTFE tape and see if that fixes it.

My primary attack if I get a flat will be some Vittoria PitStop and this is just a belt and braces backup, but if it cant hold pressure when left, with 90kg of me pressing on it will be useless.
JimboP

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflate the spare. Stick it in a bucket of water and see where the bubbles originate from. Will be obvious if it's the valve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: