Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2018 - TriTalk Reunion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
duckhen

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish all competitors the very best for this, I will not be with you but this my favourite race ever many memories happy and sad. If you are a first timer just enjoy your day the whole island is motivated by Ironman, if you know the ropes then crack on get it done, it is tough but itís Lanza!

Good luck
iwaters

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupperware wrote:

I'll start a list for anyone interested in tracking....

Code:

TT Nick         Number        Target
------------------------------------
Tupperware      1218          A: Sub-11, B: Sub-12, C: Finish!
iwaters             863            A: Finish, B: Sub-13, C: Sub-14
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plan of the transition area in the athlete guide is "interesting", but not particularly informative of how transition is going to work on race day and the way you'll flow through it Rolling Eyes

You'll obviously enter T1 by the usual route from the swim, pick up your blue bag and head into the change tent. Then out to the bike racking and I guess you'll exit and head up to the road from the eastern end, maybe at the ramp where the public showers are?

T2 it looks like you go all the way along the road to the western end of transition and wheel your bike down the slope steep onto the beach. The instructions say that you re-rack your bike in the designated spot, which is different from the previous years when you've handed your bike to a volunteer, who's then racked it for you. You then pick up your red bag, go to the run change tent and then head out of the eastern end of transition.

I'm sure all will be obvious when we get there. Wink
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Tupperware wrote:

Code:

Whisk               1380          A: Enjoy the day, B: Sub-11:30, C: Finish

Stivrunning

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
The plan of the transition area in the athlete guide is "interesting", but not particularly informative of how transition is going to work on race day and the way you'll flow through it Rolling Eyes

You'll obviously enter T1 by the usual route from the swim, pick up your blue bag and head into the change tent. Then out to the bike racking and I guess you'll exit and head up to the road from the eastern end, maybe at the ramp where the public showers are?

T2 it looks like you go all the way along the road to the western end of transition and wheel your bike down the slope steep onto the beach. The instructions say that you re-rack your bike in the designated spot, which is different from the previous years when you've handed your bike to a volunteer, who's then racked it for you. You then pick up your red bag, go to the run change tent and then head out of the eastern end of transition.

I'm sure all will be obvious when we get there. Wink

yeah am guessing once on site it will all become clear ,but I also noticed you re rack your own bike !

I know it was a bit messy and needed extra security etc but the bike racked on the road used to seem to draw interest from joe public ( in a positive way)
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
iwaters wrote:
Tupperware wrote:

Code:

Whisk               1380          A: Enjoy the day, B: Sub-11:30, C: Finish
Ozzie.              1357.          A: sub-13, B: finish in daylight, C: Finish

iwaters

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The final push. One more long run and one more long ride and then its taper time. Suppose I should taper my caffeine intake down at the same time.
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, long run tomorrow and then the Pearson Brighton & Back sportive on sunday (about 180km door to door Cool ) and then it's taper time for me Very Happy

I'm just looking forward to getting out there now.
Tupperware

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a standard distance tri on Sunday, so just deciding how to squeeze in a longish ride ~4hrs, long run I can get done on sat morning, but busy the rest of the day.... tomorrow or Sunday afternoon then I guess 😋

Couple of longer lake swims done the week, think I will repeat those next week as well in-lieu of any sea swims.
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - same here. Finishing off the main bulk of training this weekend. 50 mile bike on Friday, then a swim. My longest run so far has been 2hrs 45, which covered about 17 slow miles. 2 hour run on Saturday plus a swim in the local lake, and then the final long bike on Sunday. 30 miles solo, then meet up with my club to do another 70. I'll be happy with that.

I've got a few niggles, but no showstoppers, and I'm generally feeling in good shape.

Gave the bike a few treats this week - new tyres, brakes and gears serviced etc, and got all my nutrition sorted.

I'm good to go. We head to Gatwick a week on Tuesday, then fly early Wednesday.

For all those staying in Puerto Del Carmen, who fancies a meet up in Ruta 66 on the Thursday night? (or Ruta 69 as my wife once called it!)
Tupperware

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So have we all made it into 2 week taper in one piece? Very Happy Just sorting out logistical things now....so getting really close!

Think we possibly have the same travel plans Ozzie. Are you staying at the Premier Inn at Gatwick North? Not sure what is happening on Thursday at the moment, but will come along to Ruta 66 if not busy.

I managed to clock up most hours of training last week, mostly due to a long ride on the bank holiday but quite nice closure to the campaign. Did an Olympic distance tri on Sunday, bike was great, run was reasonable (given I did a long run the day before) but swim was a bit of a issue. Didn't cope well with the crowded start at all well and ended up being spat out of the back to compose myself before making up ground once I got into some cleaner water. More a mental thing than a swim thing, so hopefully giving myself a stern talking to over the next couple of weeks will resolve it. Any tips for keeping calm in the washing machine?
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupperware - I'm staying at the Hampton by Hilton the night before - it is connected to Gatwick North, which is good.

Flying Easy Jet at 6:00am on Wednesday morning.

Start my taper from tomorrow - got a final run to do tonight. Only 2 hours, but had to shift it from the weekend due to family commitments. Still managed to rack up 16 hours of training last week.

Overall feeling good - feel a bit short on run volume, my longest run is 16.5 miles, but I feel confident enough to get through it on the day.

Looking forward to meeting up with as many people as possible - either in Ruta 66, or the early morning swim sessions to get used to the swim course.
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the mountains you have to climb that wear you down, it's the pebble in your shoe.

Made it through training with no injuries. But had some disruptions from silly little things. Saddle sore, jock itch, swimmers ear. Currently got an infected finger and it's twice the size it should be. Thankfully I don't have a swim till Thursday and can ride a bike on the servers but god it hurts. Course of antibiotics from the Dr's today so hopefully it will clear up quick.

Longest run was 31km, longest cycle was 161 km / 6hrs. Feeling pretty good all round. Last minute logistics to sort. I fly with the family week tomorrow.

I'm really looking forward to it. One reason I chose Lanza is because the course doesn't suit me at all - I'm 6'5" and 100kg. I don't feel any pressure to get a good time. It's just shut finishing and enjoying the experience. Obviously want to give it my best shot but if I take 15-16 how I won't be disappointed.

Might see some of you at the swim practice. I'm planning on going Wednesday.
Tupperware

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope the finger responds well to the antibiotics!

I am hoping to do some swimming practice Thursday and Friday as flying Wednesday. I heard on a podcast a while ago someone doing something at 7 each morning during race week. Will try and find the details! 😂
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
It's not the mountains you have to climb that wear you down, it's the pebble in your shoe.

Made it through training with no injuries. But had some disruptions from silly little things. Saddle sore, jock itch, swimmers ear. Currently got an infected finger and it's twice the size it should be. Thankfully I don't have a swim till Thursday and can ride a bike on the servers but god it hurts. Course of antibiotics from the Dr's today so hopefully it will clear up quick.

Longest run was 31km, longest cycle was 161 km / 6hrs. Feeling pretty good all round. Last minute logistics to sort. I fly with the family week tomorrow.

I'm really looking forward to it. One reason I chose Lanza is because the course doesn't suit me at all - I'm 6'5" and 100kg. I don't feel any pressure to get a good time. It's just shut finishing and enjoying the experience. Obviously want to give it my best shot but if I take 15-16 how I won't be disappointed.

Might see some of you at the swim practice. I'm planning on going Wednesday.

hope the finger settles down quickly

great approach to event ,so many unknowns !

best to just crack on Exclamation

on the day keep going in a forward direction and we all may just surprise ourselves

planning a couple of swims but not 7am way to early , only going to be 1 7am and that's race day Wink

hopefully catch up with a few before or after in RUTA 66
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 30 of 38

Jump to: