Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2018 - TriTalk Reunion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iWaters - gutted for you, I hope you heal fully and quickly.

I had a similar thing 10 years ago. A small cut on my foot got infected, foot swelled up, ended up in hospital in a bad way. They drew a line around the bottom of my leg and said if the discolouration goes above the line they'll need to remove my foot. I spent the whole night trying to wipe the line off to redraw it a bit higher up. Needless to say, they were aware of this trick, so had used a pen that took months to fade away! All fine now, as I'm sure you will be. Good luck from all in family Ozzie.

Give Bolton some hell when you get there.

Taper week going ok - fighting the urge to eat all the time, since the mileage is down a bit this week I don't want to put the pounds back on.

Can't wait to get out there now. Last day in work today.
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie1973 wrote:
iWaters - gutted for you, I hope you heal fully and quickly.

I had a similar thing 10 years ago. A small cut on my foot got infected, foot swelled up, ended up in hospital in a bad way. They drew a line around the bottom of my leg and said if the discolouration goes above the line they'll need to remove my foot. I spent the whole night trying to wipe the line off to redraw it a bit higher up. Needless to say, they were aware of this trick, so had used a pen that took months to fade away! All fine now, as I'm sure you will be. Good luck from all in family Ozzie.

Give Bolton some hell when you get there.

Taper week going ok - fighting the urge to eat all the time, since the mileage is down a bit this week I don't want to put the pounds back on.

Can't wait to get out there now. Last day in work today.

lol
I am struggling not to eat the same volume of food as previous weeks Smile
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Haven't had the surgery yet. But they changed the dressing. Its a mess. Going to be a big wound.

Thinking of going in for Bolton. Wont be able to swim for a couple of weeks but that will be fine. Swimming is my best discipline. Can just repeat the last few weeks of my training plan.

Really gutted for you, mate Crying or Very sad We've all seen how much effort you've put in and you deserve to have an amazing first Ironman experience somewhere.

Today is my last day in the office before the race. Not sure whether I'll get on here at all over the next week, so I'll take the opportunity now to wish everyone good luck for the day. Keep a cool head and keep moving forwards, no matter what, oh and remember to enjoy the day Cool

Thank you also to everyone for contributing to this thread. It's probably the longest single-event thread on here in a while and it harks back to the glory days of the forum when these IM threads ran to dozens of pages. Strong posting guys Wink
iwaters

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Going to surgery soon. Surgeon thinks I should be ok to fly out so at least the holiday is in tact.

I will find a suitable bar to get some cold ones in and cheer you on.

Off to start a IM Bolton 2018 thread, and maybe a Lanza 2019!
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Thanks all. Going to surgery soon. Surgeon thinks I should be ok to fly out so at least the holiday is in tact.

I will find a suitable bar to get some cold ones in and cheer you on.

Off to start a IM Bolton 2018 thread, and maybe a Lanza 2019!

good man

speedy recovery ,will try and spot u in bar as shuffle passed on run , can not be to many walking round with bandages Wink

BOLTON & LANZA 2019 Confused
Tupperware

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear its definitely a no-go for Lanza, although at least the kids will get a holiday. As already said...make sure you heal well and put all that great training to use in Bolton - more Friel "big days" to look forward to Smile.

Jealous of everyone finishing work today...I am in until Tuesday Sad.

Taper madness in full effect, eating too much stressing about niggles etc. all the standard stuff Wink. Had a couple of OW decent swims this week and hopefully fit another one in over the weekend. Planning a 2hr/1hr brick at some point over the weekend before dismantling my bike for packing....sound about right?

On the advice of the athlete guide, I got a replacement derailleur hanger (in case of breakage during transit), delivered yesterday which seems to have triggered some "discussions" about how much this event has cost in total from wifey Very Happy.
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupperware wrote:
So sorry to hear its definitely a no-go for Lanza, although at least the kids will get a holiday. As already said...make sure you heal well and put all that great training to use in Bolton - more Friel "big days" to look forward to Smile.

Taper madness in full effect, eating too much stressing about niggles etc. all the standard stuff Wink. Had a couple of OW decent swims this week and hopefully fit another one in over the weekend. Planning a 2hr/1hr brick at some point over the weekend before dismantling my bike for packing....sound about right?

On the advice of the athlete guide, I got a replacement derailleur hanger (in case of breakage during transit), delivered yesterday which seems to have triggered some "discussions" about how much this event has cost in total from wifey Very Happy.

my standard answer is

the money I saving by not being in the pub or other social activities while training pays for all the gear Wink
also
I point out look at all the peace and quiet you get while I am out of house every Saturday and sunday mornings Wink
Tupperware

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:
Tupperware wrote:

my standard answer is

the money I saving by not being in the pub or other social activities while training pays for all the gear Wink
also
I point out look at all the peace and quiet you get while I am out of house every Saturday and sunday mornings Wink

haha....good tips, will see how that works later Wink

Last edited by Tupperware on Fri May 18, 2018 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
stenard

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupperware wrote:

Quite amusing that a spare hanger, which generally costs under £20, has triggered that kind of discussion! So many other, more appropriate things, that could be moaned about from my experience! Rolling Eyes
Tupperware

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Tupperware wrote:

Quite amusing that a spare hanger, which generally costs under £20, has triggered that kind of discussion! So many other, more appropriate things, that could be moaned about from my experience! Rolling Eyes

Indeed....(it was £10)....the straw that broke the camel's back Very Happy
iwaters

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have finished my last ride and be packing my bike now. Mad

Still always next year.

I am still in hospital, hopefully be out tomorrow. Both the last drs I spoke to said holiday should be fine so that is good.

Can you believe you can't buy wine in the hospital!! Booze is flowing like mus around here. Best I can get is a couple of paracetamol. Did feel quite drunk when I woke from the GA. Thankfully I didn't say anything stupid.
snowie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím in Lanza for a weeks swimming & cycling .then to volunteer for the IM, my wife & myself will be slappers (applying suncream after the swim) & then catchers for the bikes in T2.
Wishing everyone the best of speed & a good race.
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just rode the new the section at start , thats a long climb but steady away it wasn,t to bad ,at least i won,t be shocked with 46 min for first 10 miles Embarassed
Tupperware

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
I should have finished my last ride and be packing my bike now. Mad

Still always next year.

I am still in hospital, hopefully be out tomorrow. Both the last drs I spoke to said holiday should be fine so that is good.

Can you believe you can't buy wine in the hospital!! Booze is flowing like mus around here. Best I can get is a couple of paracetamol. Did feel quite drunk when I woke from the GA. Thankfully I didn't say anything stupid.

Glad to hear you are getting out soon. Will you be avoiding all thing Ironman during your hols...or an active supporter?

Flowing like mus? Confused Not a term I'm familiar with is it a typo?!

Dismantled the bike this afternoon and packed into box. It took a long time, may have gone overboard with pipe insulation and bubble wrap!!

Quick question, is there any need for a transition bag when doing an Ironman event? Seems like we just use the bags provided so I can leave that at home?

EDIT: Ah, flowing like mud (thanks google)...I get it now..ha Very Happy
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah flowing like mud - Al Pacino Scent of a woman. Can't type very well at the min.

I'm going to support. My hotel is 5 mins away so will wander down on the morning. Although I've come to terms with not doing it, I think when I get there and see it all I will feel a bit depressed about it, but be nice to see it all happening

I had thought about taking my road bike out there and doing a couple of cycles but I can't dismantle it and I don't have full use of my finger so might be a bit dangerous. Will take my running shoes. Got a pretty big wound so won't be swimming for a few weeks.

Thinking now of outlaw instead of Bolton as plan b. Cheaper for a kick off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 32 of 38

Jump to: