Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2018 - TriTalk Reunion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Out of interest what type of bikes to people ride at Lanza?

My road bike is rubbish, Trek 1.1 all Alu. My tri bike is brand new P3 with DI2 so the TT is better and lighter.

TT bike every time. Aero is king on Lanza with the strong winds. Just don't go for anything too deep on the front. You can probably ride 90% of the course on the aero bars without too much trouble.
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSlowOne wrote:
iwaters - Have you had any reply yet?

iwaters wrote:
So I'm quite likely to enter this. Concerned about the possible course change though. I've emailed the people who run TriSports Lanza which is where I went form y camp this year and am going next year, see if they know anything.

Worry is if they go to a loop to reduce the road closures it will stay down the PDC end of the island and that would cut out Mirador del Rio etc.

Be bringing the whole family and having a nice holiday out of it too. Anyone stayed at Gloria Izaro Club Hotel? Looks good, great position, pool etc. Not too expensive.

Yes, they have said they don't think the bike course is changing. I don't think that is a definite "no its not changing" or just they haven't heard that it is.
TheSlowOne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
TheSlowOne wrote:
iwaters - Have you had any reply yet?

iwaters wrote:
So I'm quite likely to enter this. Concerned about the possible course change though. I've emailed the people who run TriSports Lanza which is where I went form y camp this year and am going next year, see if they know anything.

Worry is if they go to a loop to reduce the road closures it will stay down the PDC end of the island and that would cut out Mirador del Rio etc.

Be bringing the whole family and having a nice holiday out of it too. Anyone stayed at Gloria Izaro Club Hotel? Looks good, great position, pool etc. Not too expensive.

Yes, they have said they don't think the bike course is changing. I don't think that is a definite "no its not changing" or just they haven't heard that it is.

Understood
will turbo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am in for my 2nd time. Got transferred from ironman Barcelona into Lanza due to them moving from Sunday to Saturday,
I really hope they don't change it, I can't see this happening, 🤞🏻🤞🏻
iwaters

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will turbo wrote:
Am in for my 2nd time. Got transferred from ironman Barcelona into Lanza due to them moving from Sunday to Saturday,

Interesting about Barcelona. This law that affected the 70.3 is an old Spanish law. So presumably the same should apply to Barca? I assume the police in Lanza operate independently but surely IM would be saying why do we have to change this if Barca doesn't change.

I know they have changed Barca now but not for this reason.

I think I am going to enter anyway. If it changes I can't control it. It will be a shame but I guess it depends what they change it to. I just want them to keep the iconic parts (Mirrador, El Golfo, Timanfya etc). Yes I know I have spelt them all wrong.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
will turbo wrote:

Interesting about Barcelona. This law that affected the 70.3 is an old Spanish law. So presumably the same should apply to Barca? I assume the police in Lanza operate independently but surely IM would be saying why do we have to change this if Barca doesn't change.

I know they have changed Barca now but not for this reason.

I get the impression that it's the local police that are choosing to start applying the letter of the law on this. I don't know whether the local government have the influence to put pressure on the police to allow the old course to stay with one-way closures on part of the course and open roads on the rest, but the potential loss of tourist revenue must be a concern.
earthling

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
but the potential loss of tourist revenue must be a concern.

I would think a drop in the number of participants would hit the island hard considering the number of people walking around with Ironman gear on during race week. CLS must benefit year round from the race with athletes turning up for training weeks and the like.

I don't know if a change of bike course would affect the entry levels that much though? I can't believe they are going to make CLS change the 70.3 course then leave the 140.6 course alone. Question is how many athletes would genuinely race somewhere else if the bike course changes? Probably not enough to change any attitudes I am guessing? Still holding onto my entry for now though.
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthling wrote:
Whisk wrote:
but the potential loss of tourist revenue must be a concern.

I would think a drop in the number of participants would hit the island hard considering the number of people walking around with Ironman gear on during race week. CLS must benefit year round from the race with athletes turning up for training weeks and the like.

I don't know if a change of bike course would affect the entry levels that much though? I can't believe they are going to make CLS change the 70.3 course then leave the 140.6 course alone. Question is how many athletes would genuinely race somewhere else if the bike course changes? Probably not enough to change any attitudes I am guessing? Still holding onto my entry for now though.

Maybe not in the short term, like next year, but if it persists it will lose it's iconic status, there are a lot of other events on the calendar and Lanza without that bike course becomes a lot less appealing.

2/3 years could be the end, and I'm not sure CLS could survive without the IM revenue, It's year round almost like you say.
Andy G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registrations may go up rather than down with an easier, draft-fest course up and down some straight and flat stretch of road. Look at Barcelona. It's what the one-and-done crowd want.
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy G wrote:
Registrations may go up rather than down with an easier, draft-fest course up and down some straight and flat stretch of road. Look at Barcelona. It's what the one-and-done crowd want.

I REALLY wish that wasn't true..... Crying or Very sad
TheSlowOne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm in for 2018.

Just signed up and really hope that the Bike course doesn't change at all.

However, I'd be happy for the trade winds to change and move to Tenerife instead Very Happy
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
I'm not sure CLS could survive without the IM revenue, It's year round almost like you say.

I don't think that's true. I'm sure the IM drives a lot of visitors through CLS, but even during IM week the guests who are there specifically for the IM are very much in the minority. I'm sure CLS would still attract a lot of people all year round even without the IM. The training facilities are excellent, particularly after the redevelopment. A lot of the apartments are sold on a timeshare basis too.

I think the race still belongs to CLS, so presumably they pay a chunk of licencing money to IM to run the event. There must be a tipping point where the cost to CLS of running the event outstrips the revenue that they earn from it and maybe they'll decide that it's not worth carrying on. If they end up picking-up a big extra cost for road closures and policing then that might be sooner rather than later.
Simon G.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on. I think "ironman" sometimes overestimates its effect on a local area...Certainly 95% of PDC visitors even in May, are not at all interested in it.
Simon G.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe not 95% Very Happy ...but there's still a majority of "normal holidaymakers".
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am in

think sometimes we over worry and think things

just going to crack on train for the usual pain until here otherwise
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: