Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2018 - TriTalk Reunion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wavering on coming out of retirement for this one!

I've got "management sign-off" from Mrs W, so I've just got to decide whether I want to commit enough time and effort to do this one justice Wink
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will be there watching
TimmyG

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just booked accommodation and flights with Jet2.

Got a 2 bed apartment, Half Board, less than 10 mins walk from the finish, right on the run course (opposite end of the beach from the swim start).

Just need to afford the entry now... Rolling Eyes

Sub17.net - TimmyG's Blog and Epic 2010 and 2011 Outlaw Race Reports
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When does it sell out by?
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:

It hasn't sold out in recent years. They usually publish a reasonably up-to-date entrants list, so you can keep a track of how full it is getting.

The price does go up as you get closer to the race.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
FatPom wrote:

It hasn't sold out in recent years. They usually publish a reasonably up-to-date entrants list, so you can keep a track of how full it is getting.

Thanks. Gives me time to do a systems check between IM Wales and Xmas Very Happy

I watched IM Lanza on tv last night (2015 I think). They showed a whole lot of people cutting the swim course on the left of the rope before the first turn.
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Whisk wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Thanks. Gives me time to do a systems check between IM Wales and Xmas Very Happy

I watched IM Lanza on tv last night (2015 I think). They showed a whole lot of people cutting the swim course on the left of the rope before the first turn.

swim now carnage on first corner as it backs up thanks to all the slow AWA swimmers standing on front line. Not their fault may I add they play by the rules
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Whisk wrote:
FatPom wrote:

swim now carnage on first corner as it backs up thanks to all the slow AWA swimmers standing on front line. Not their fault may I add they play by the rules

I appreciate that AWA status gives people the "right" to start at the front, but common sense should tell you that if you're not a <60min swimmer then you're just asking to be swum over by the faster swimmers behind if you don't position yourself in an appropriate position at the start Rolling Eyes
Slacko

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ironman Lanzarote 2018 - TriTalk Reunion Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Date confirmed as May 26th, and the word is that some old boys are coming out of retirement to play.

Smackdown! anyone joining the party?

Who you calling old??? Mad

I'm in. Plenty of time to get back to the weight I was when I bought my Huub wetsuit before promptly retiring without wearing it.

Not racing Lanza has always bugged me since donating my bike to the local spider population. Looking forward to putting that right and retiring with a clear conscience. Smile
jig

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Stivrunning wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Whisk wrote:
FatPom wrote:

I appreciate that AWA status gives people the "right" to start at the front, but common sense should tell you that if you're not a <60min swimmer then you're just asking to be swum over by the faster swimmers behind if you don't position yourself in an appropriate position at the start Rolling Eyes

Totally agree- last time I did it in 2015 I had a nice gold AWA cap. Crap swimmer mind so I promptly made my way to the sign that said 1:15 and went wide right unti the first turn. Still mad but at least I only got hit by swimmers of similar abillity and not by my own ego. I like the AWA goodies but lets be realistic - I got that as I was daft enough to hand over 2 lots of race entry fee to WTC not due to my fantastic ability
TimmyG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I held back too much in 2014 after hearing horror stories about the start. Result was clear water, but no-one to draft off.

Plus I selected a random numpty to do my wetsuit zip up (one of the HUUB Quick release zips) which promptly came apart when I got to the first buoy. So I then had to swim the first lap with an open backed wetsuit... Mad

Sub17.net - TimmyG's Blog and Epic 2010 and 2011 Outlaw Race Reports
snowie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:

the turn at the 1st bouy has always been carnage & unless they swap to the rolling start it always will be. i have always at lanza stayed near the back at the start & had a good swim all the way round picking people off.
for the sake of about 2 minutes it is well worth.
my normal swim time for lanza is between 1:05 & 1:10 which is more or less where i am on other courses so no loss really.
its a simple swim perhaps the best i have done, easy sighting & plenty of fish to see.
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ironman Lanzarote 2018 - TriTalk Reunion Reply with quote

Slacko wrote:
hammerer wrote:
Date confirmed as May 26th, and the word is that some old boys are coming out of retirement to play.

Smackdown! anyone joining the party?

Who you calling old??? Mad

I'm in. Plenty of time to get back to the weight I was when I bought my Huub wetsuit before promptly retiring without wearing it.

Not racing Lanza has always bugged me since donating my bike to the local spider population. Looking forward to putting that right and retiring with a clear conscience. Smile

Haven't we all passed our best before dates Wink
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMoCE_MEa6g
Slacko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Love it Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMoCE_MEa6g

I've just discovered it's possible to get sick with nerves a full year before an event. I enjoy the actual racing but the dark morning pre-race stuff fills me with dread!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: