Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2018 - TriTalk Reunion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SGreg




Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 1022
Location: High Peak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not convinced this is official but it's not too bad.

It's a shame to lose the epic Famara section, but keeping El Golfo , Timanfaya and the north loop are the iconic sections. along with being a single loop*


Keeping in Nazarat is ESSENTIAL it's not Lanza until you have suffered that road!


It's worth noting that small change right at the beginning looks pretty brutal! The original route sneaks out between the hills on the main road. That looks like it almost follows the same altitude change as the last decent, that could be a lot of extra climbing ???


* well the new loop is more two different loops as opposed to one but still ok IMO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stivrunning




Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: up north

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the start is going to be steep

I can hear all the crunching of gears already
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tin pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2563
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím watching the 2016 race on YouTube - looks fairly quiet in terms of traffic and support. Roads look good.

How do people get their bikes out there and find accommodation?
_________________
Iron Ď17 16h11, '16 14h30
Half Iron Ď18 DNF, '17 7h39, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snowie




Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Posts: 749
Location: derby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Iím watching the 2016 race on YouTube - looks fairly quiet in terms of traffic and support. Roads look good.

How do people get their bikes out there and find accommodation?


in a bike box/bag

on the web, booking.com etc etc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iwaters




Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 408

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Iím watching the 2016 race on YouTube - looks fairly quiet in terms of traffic and support. Roads look good.

How do people get their bikes out there and find accommodation?


Yes it certainly looks like there are lots of periods where you are on your own with no crowd or anything. I've cycled some parts of the course and main roads are very good, better than the crap we have here. But in the towns and smaller roads, they are quite shocking.

There is no bike transport out there like the European races (unless you are coming from Spain) so you take your bike on the plane. Costs roughly £100 for the return trip. Bike box hire is about £60-£80 for the week.

Find accommodation: pick where you want to stay. PDC is the start finish line, its also the main resort town for the island. Lots to pick from to suit your budget. Costa Tiguese is another resort town but you would need to travel to PDC. You also need to go to La Santa to register which is the other side of the island. I expect La Santa is fully booked.

The place I go for my training camps do an Ironman week. Fully catered, 25m pool etc. They take you down and pick you up. Its in Macher just up from PDS. TriSports Lanzarote its called. I am there in a week on another camp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGreg




Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 1022
Location: High Peak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be no crowds, but I was never alone. Mainly competitors, there are lots of us on the roads.

Every junction is very well marshalled as well Busy junctions by the civil Guardia. It's a wild desolate course but it always feels like a race.

I was around mid pack though, think leaders and back of packers may have a different experience.

Run was even more crowded but the course is different now, but that was to relieve congestion!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iwaters




Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 408

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So its 11 weeks to go. I am 60% excited, 40% bricking it!

Training is going fine, missed a handful of sessions due to a cold but mostly getting the work done. Biggest worry now is I have failed utterly to lose the weight I wanted. Still time to drop a little I guess.

I am going one of the Joel Friel big days on Sunday. Supposed to do it in full race kit, its going to be cold and wet so I am going to look like a proper twat in aero helmet and full carbon wheels - but with winter clothes! Be good to practice the nutrition though.

I am glad the nutrition has switched from Powerbar. I used some of their gels this morning on a long run. Gave me such bad wind. I sat on the trap at work and honestly produced enough thrust to make the Falcon 9 look like a firework.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ozzie1973




Joined: 31 Jul 2013
Posts: 172
Location: Swindon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, not long now.

I'm definitely looking forward to it - training is going well, averaging about 12 hours per week at the moment. Longest bike so far coming up - 5hrs on Sunday.

Swimming - doing ok, looking to complete in 1hr 10mins.
Bike - tricky one, depends all on the weather - hoping for 5hrs 50
Run - not my strongest point, so sub 4 hr would be great.

Losing the weight has gone well - I've lost 10kg since my training kicked in back in November. I'm 5ft 7, and I'm down to 70.5kg as of today, looking to get to 67kg (10st 7, I think) for race day. Less for me to haul around the bike and run course.

I've also learned a lot from Coach Cox - consistency on the bike and run is really paying off. When I did Lanza in 2015 my pacing was really bad and I paid for it dearly. Some significant improvements made by making the conscious decision to do the long bike/run at 75%.

Getting my nutrition sorted - it's going to be Torq bars and drinks on the bike, and Torq gels on the run. Basically, Torq everything! Love the stuff.

How's everyone else doing, and what are your targets?

Also, let's get a TriTalk meet up planned for when we are all over there...

Ozzie
_________________
My body is black and blue... but TrainingPeaks is green, so everything is ok!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
iwaters




Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 408

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have any targets other than sensible pacing.

Swim is my strongest, I could probably do a sub 60 but no way am I going to try that as it will kill me. Will aim to be around the 1:03-1:06 mark.

Bike - my weight will slow me down massively (104kg currently). Anything under 7 hours I will be happy with but I am going to have to keep my power under control. BBS reckons I can do it in 6:20 but I don't think BBS can handle fat people and hills properly.

Run - no idea, what ever I can manage. If I'm under 5 I will be happy.

Need to see if I can dump some weight. If I can get down to 97kg that in the past has made a huge difference. I don't want to impact the training too much but I think with the Lanza course any weight loss will help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tupperware




Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 64
Location: Swindon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk of training camps in Lanza is making me very jealous! Wink Hope you have a great time!

Here is the gpx for most (108/112) of the proposed new route, although still nothing official (copied from Facebook and uploaded to Mega) -
"https://mega.nz/#!WqhFSYbJ!Qqw4Rg9GZyavXKLnUhLn-87Sa8iYGBllf78TIpUjRGM"

Training is going ok for me....very fatigued (and hungry) at the moment! Got a few weekend disruptions coming up (social and sporting), stag dos, uni reunion, london marathon Smile and wedding, so need to make the most of training when I can.

Ozzie, I'm in for the 51fiver as well as a warm up race.

Still plenty of time so a bit early for targets from me i.e. hope I can gain more fitness in the next 11 weeks Wink.

EDIT: Can't seem to get url tags to work, so you'll need to copy and paste the link if you are interested.
EDIT2: gpx appeared to be corrupt when trying to load into Garmin etc, so updated link to fixed file


Last edited by Tupperware on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Foggyone




Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Posts: 167
Location: Cambridgeshire.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a lost cyclist at top of Haria hairpins on tuesday! In thick cloud, with a ferocious cross wind, they had been dropped by their group which was on an organised camp. No map , no phone, no idea where they were. Had a coffee with them in the cafe, explained where they were on my map. Then rode down with them to Teguise, then pointed them in the direction of Costa Teguise which was where they were staying. Then carried on my merry way down LZ30.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1657

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggyone wrote:
I found a lost cyclist at top of Haria hairpins on tuesday! In thick cloud, with a ferocious cross wind, they had been dropped by their group which was on an organised camp. No map , no phone, no idea where they were. Had a coffee with them in the cafe, explained where they were on my map. Then rode down with them to Teguise, then pointed them in the direction of Costa Teguise which was where they were staying. Then carried on my merry way down LZ30.

I never quite understand that. Even on our club group rides, it is always stated that people need to be able to look after themselves if necessary.

I was in Lanza at the end of Jan, staying in Costa Teguise. Whilst I had planned out some routes in advance, I still made sure I had enough of an idea of the layout of the towns so that I could navigate my way back if needed. It's not exactly hard from the top of the hairpins! Follow the main road all the way to the LZ1, and then either right or left and you'll hit a turning down to Costa Teguise! Some people astound me at their lack of direction!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trimini




Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 126

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: , Reply with quote

Tupperware wrote:
Talk of training camps in Lanza is making me very jealous! Wink Hope you have a great time!

Here is the gpx for most (108/112) of the proposed new route, although still nothing official (copied from Facebook and uploaded to Mega) -
"https://mega.nz/#!WqhFSYbJ!Qqw4Rg9GZyavXKLnUhLn-87Sa8iYGBllf78TIpUjRGM"

Training is going ok for me....very fatigued (and hungry) at the moment! Got a few weekend disruptions coming up (social and sporting), stag dos, uni reunion, london marathon Smile and wedding, so need to make the most of training when I can.

Ozzie, I'm in for the 51fiver as well as a warm up race.

Still plenty of time so a bit early for targets from me i.e. hope I can gain more fitness in the next 11 weeks Wink.

EDIT: Can't seem to get url tags to work, so you'll need to copy and paste the link if you are interested.
EDIT2: gpx appeared to be corrupt when trying to load into Garmin etc, so updated link to fixed file


I have downloaded the gpx file to my computrainer and it is showing 4000m of climbing. I am guessing that this in incorrect
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tupperware




Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 64
Location: Swindon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: , Reply with quote

trimini wrote:
Tupperware wrote:
Talk of training camps in Lanza is making me very jealous! Wink Hope you have a great time!

Here is the gpx for most (108/112) of the proposed new route, although still nothing official (copied from Facebook and uploaded to Mega) -
"https://mega.nz/#!WqhFSYbJ!Qqw4Rg9GZyavXKLnUhLn-87Sa8iYGBllf78TIpUjRGM"

Training is going ok for me....very fatigued (and hungry) at the moment! Got a few weekend disruptions coming up (social and sporting), stag dos, uni reunion, london marathon Smile and wedding, so need to make the most of training when I can.

Ozzie, I'm in for the 51fiver as well as a warm up race.

Still plenty of time so a bit early for targets from me i.e. hope I can gain more fitness in the next 11 weeks Wink.

EDIT: Can't seem to get url tags to work, so you'll need to copy and paste the link if you are interested.
EDIT2: gpx appeared to be corrupt when trying to load into Garmin etc, so updated link to fixed file


I have downloaded the gpx file to my computrainer and it is showing 4000m of climbing. I am guessing that this in incorrect


I loaded it into Garmin Connect and it showed 173km with 2195m of ascent.

Looks like we have about 3km until the first major incline Evil or Very Mad

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stivrunning




Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: up north

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best get the climbing legs out Idea
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 19 of 38
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.