Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2018 - TriTalk Reunion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my first Joel Friel "Big Day" yesterday. My coach modified the times slightly so did 1 hour swim, 4 hour bike, 1.5 hour run. I messed up the route on the bike and actually did 4.5 hours.

You do all those with 1.5 hours break between, race fuel only, race kit etc. The swim wasn't very representative as I had to do it in the pool. Avg 1:41/100m which was a really conformable pace, took nothing out of me at all. That's what I am aiming for in the race, could go much faster but it will kill me.

Bike I tried to get as many hills in as possible, not quite Lanza level but got 1Km of climbing over 110Km. Nailed the pacing. AP was 201, NP was 202! My weight is slowing me down hugely on the hills. On the biggest hill 17% I was down to 5km/h. On the flats with the wind behind me I was tanking along at 38-40Km/h quite comfortably.

I bought one of those DS Long Course suits. Its chaffed me massively so that needs sorting.

Nutrition I think I pretty much got right, I just need to eat and drink more regularly on the bike. Kept getting towards the end of an hour and realising I was behind. Also be easier if I open the energy bar packets first!

Practiced running and walking the "aid stations" which was me carrying coke and water and gels. Seemed to work well. Felt really strong towards the end of the run which I wasn't expecting.

Really useful days training, got motivation boost. Obviously the actual event is much longer and there are no breaks but today I fell great, like I had just had a normal training day yesterday, which to me says I have much more on me.
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Did my first Joel Friel "Big Day" yesterday. My coach modified the times slightly so did 1 hour swim, 4 hour bike, 1.5 hour run. I messed up the route on the bike and actually did 4.5 hours.

You do all those with 1.5 hours break between, race fuel only, race kit etc. The swim wasn't very representative as I had to do it in the pool. Avg 1:41/100m which was a really conformable pace, took nothing out of me at all. That's what I am aiming for in the race, could go much faster but it will kill me.

Bike I tried to get as many hills in as possible, not quite Lanza level but got 1Km of climbing over 110Km. Nailed the pacing. AP was 201, NP was 202! My weight is slowing me down hugely on the hills. On the biggest hill 17% I was down to 5km/h. On the flats with the wind behind me I was tanking along at 38-40Km/h quite comfortably.

I bought one of those DS Long Course suits. Its chaffed me massively so that needs sorting.

Nutrition I think I pretty much got right, I just need to eat and drink more regularly on the bike. Kept getting towards the end of an hour and realising I was behind. Also be easier if I open the energy bar packets first!

Practiced running and walking the "aid stations" which was me carrying coke and water and gels. Seemed to work well. Felt really strong towards the end of the run which I wasn't expecting.

Really useful days training, got motivation boost. Obviously the actual event is much longer and there are no breaks but today I fell great, like I had just had a normal training day yesterday, which to me says I have much more on me.

just out interest i bought a DS suit stili n its bag ,without to much detail what the areas they rub best dig mine out
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:

just out interest i bought a DS suit stili n its bag ,without to much detail what the areas they rub best dig mine out

The groin area, either side of the biffins bridge and wedding tackle Smile

Think its the edge of the pad rubbing. Not sure if it just needed washing a couple of times to soften it or what.

Felt ok when I first put it on but after a couple of hours it was sore
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Also be easier if I open the energy bar packets first

Took me a while to start doing that before the start of races. It definitely makes things a lot lot easier!
iwaters wrote:
Stivrunning wrote:
The groin area, either side of the biffins bridge and wedding tackle Smile

Think its the edge of the pad rubbing. Not sure if it just needed washing a couple of times to soften it or what.

Felt ok when I first put it on but after a couple of hours it was sore

Do you use any kind of friction cream or vaseline? I always use a fairly liberal amount of body glide in that area before putting on my trisuit, and have to be fairly generous with the vaseline on any runs of an hour or more. No matter what I'm wearing, without fail I will get chafing if I don't use something. Most times I don't notice during exercise, but it becomes immediately apparent on getting in the shower Mad
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

Do you use any kind of friction cream or vaseline? I always use a fairly liberal amount of body glide in that area before putting on my trisuit, and have to be fairly generous with the vaseline on any runs of an hour or more. No matter what I'm wearing, without fail I will get chafing if I don't use something. Most times I don't notice during exercise, but it becomes immediately apparent on getting in the shower Mad

I put some chamois cream on but not a lot. Probably need a more liberal application of that or body glide. Will try that the next time I wear it
Tupperware

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:

Sounds like a great days training! Kudos for the easy swim speed!

Did you do any prep the day(s) before, resting, carb loading etc.?

Was the run at expected IM pace or just whatever felt comfortable?

Aren't these recommended 9 and 4 weeks out? Any reason for doing it earlier...or just convenience? Do you have another one (or more) planned in?
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work!

I managed 12 hours of training last week, so not a bad week.

Highlight was a century ride on the Sunday. I rode with a group of stronger riders, so I hung on for as long as I could, but dropped off the back at 80 miles and made my own way home. It was a great ride - 1600m of climbing, a bit windy, so ideal! I averaged 200 watts normalised power, so better than expecting. That yielded an average speed of about 16mph.

Looking forward to doing the same ride next weekend, solo, with the clip on try bars and a more aero position... Should be interesting.

I like the sound of the Friel 'big day' - will talk to my coach about that type of thing.

How's everyone else doing?
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupperware wrote:
iwaters wrote:

Sounds like a great days training! Kudos for the easy swim speed!

Did you do any prep the day(s) before, resting, carb loading etc.?

Was the run at expected IM pace or just whatever felt comfortable?

Aren't these recommended 9 and 4 weeks out? Any reason for doing it earlier...or just convenience? Do you have another one (or more) planned in?

Yeah 12 and 4 weeks I think they are supposed to be. I had to reschedule due to illness and weather. Got another one towards end of April. I rested day before but that was purely because Saturday is a rest day. I ate an entire Easter Egg Saturday night so I guess I carb loaded Smile.

I don't really have a target im pace for the run as its my first im and first marathon distance so I just ran at an easy pace, trying to keep my hr down at a reasonable level. I walked every 20 mins to take fluid and gel and eased back if my HR climbed. Think that will be strategy for the race.

Playing with the numbers in bbs I am looking at probably a solid 7 hours on the bike so the run isn't going to be fast!

It's caught up with me later today. Was supposed to run but felt very tired so thought it best to take a rest day
Tupperware

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
I ate an entire Easter Egg Saturday night so I guess I carb loaded Smile.

Sounds like my sort of carb loading..maybe washed down with a beer! Very Happy

iwaters wrote:
It's caught up with me later today. Was supposed to run but felt very tired so thought it best to take a rest day

Very sensible. Give your body some time to absorb the good work!

In case people haven't got the "Going Long" book, here is Joe's blog with the info:
http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/04/ironman-big-day.html
Tupperware

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more info from Rick Pat (Club La Santa) regarding bike course change.

Quote:
So, here some update regarding the Club La Santa Ironman Lanzarote:
New safety laws are now including complete road closure for the bike course. A few small changes have been made to the course but the stunning views of El Mirador and the Timanfaya are still part of it...
https://www.facebook.com/IronmanLanzarote/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/287319678021088/permalink/1808003685952672/

Website hasn't been updated though and no other info on the official facebook page.
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupperware wrote:

Quote:
New safety laws are now including complete road closure for the bike course. A few small changes have been made to the course but the stunning views of El Mirador and the Timanfaya are still part of it...

Website hasn't been updated though and no other info on the official facebook page.

That the same Rick Pat who categorically stated a few months back that the bike course WASN'T changing.

Do we know if its the course that was posted a couple of pages back? I am not on the Facebook Journey group.
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice on the official page they have added the year next to each bit so Swim (2018). Bike and Run say (2017)
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little bird tells me Transition maybe slightly different this year too

lets hope its low tide Wink
Tupperware

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Tupperware wrote:

Quote:

That the same Rick Pat who categorically stated a few months back that the bike course WASN'T changing.

Do we know if its the course that was posted a couple of pages back? I am not on the Facebook Journey group.

No more details than that. I did notice his last post (sept) was specifically stating to ignore the rumours no change! Ha!
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well we down to less than 10 weeks to Go

in need of some milder weather
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 20 of 38

Jump to: