Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2018 - TriTalk Reunion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Equipment wise, I've decided to go with the roadie this time round.

I would always say that TT is the fastest set-up for Lanza, but I'd also caveat that with "if you can hold the aero position for the whole ride". I haven't touched my TT bike since I used it for Lanza in 2015 and I just don't see that I'm going to get the time on the road to be confident that I could be comfortable for 180km of Lanza's finest.

So, I'll be on a Specialized Venge with 64mm deep wheels and disc brakes. I think the frame is a lot more aero than my elderly Isaac Joule. The wheels are more aero than the 40mm Mavics that I would ride with the TT bike (and also very good in the wind) and the handling is significantly better on the technical sections. Obviously, where I'm going to lose out is on the body position. The bars don't lend themselves to clip-on tri bars, but I ride a reasonably flat body position so hopefully not too bad from an aero point of view.

It's a shame that the course is changing, so I won't get a direct comparison between the TT and aero road. Having said that, weather conditions make a massive difference on the day. In 2015 I reckon I was as strong as I was for any of my 5 Lanza's to date, but it was exceptionally windy from the start and I was 30 minutes slower on the bike than my course PB Shocked

I was reading some analysis of the pro positions at previous races and 2015 was a clanger for wind.

I had a mixed set of Enve wheels, a 6.7 (70mm) on the back and an old 45mm on the front. They were tubs though and I was worried about flatting and not being able to repair (I had to resort to the LBS glueing them originally). I now have 50mm front and back clinchers which should be ok I think. Little bit heavier but not much.

I did consider roadie at one point as my handling and descending is much better on a road bike. Mostly down to confidence of having the brakes at hand on the drops. But the aero benefit for the TT bike wins and its also actually lighter than my road bike.

Finally sorted my bottle carrying stuff as well. Started with pro aerofuel BTS and BTA. The BTS clamp was junk, bolts keep coming lose. The BTA I couldn't make work with the garmin mount and position it comfortably. Now gone with XLab super wing and torpedo. Both bits of kits seem much better, not cheap though!
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 50 days to go!!! Shocked

I've got one more big block of training and then I'll start to think about tapering Cool
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it in 2015 and it was indeed very, very windy!

I'm on my road bike this year too - I took a spill on my TT bike a while ago, and not sure I've got the confidence (or the ability) to hold the aero position for 6 hours, especially on some of the windy descents, so road bike all the way for me.

I'm even debating whether to take the clip on tri bars off...

6 more long rides and long runs before taper begins...
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the website has been updated with the "new" bike course, but the course that is showing is the same as the old course Rolling Eyes

The jpg file name is A4_Map_Bike_NEW.jpg too, so I suspect that someone has stuffed up posted the wrong file.
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple of (hopefully) temporary set-backs over the weekend.

On Friday, I was coming to the end of a really good swim session and as I pushed off the wall I felt a twinge in my calf. A couple of strokes later I got a terrible cramp in my calf. It's still feeling tender three days later. It feels fine on the bike, but I'm a bit reluctant to try running on it.

Then yesterday, I was about 10km into a 142km ride when I got knocked off my bike by a mini cab Mad . The driver pulled out to overtake me and then when he was alongside me, he stuck on his indicator and turned left. I took the corner with him, but the car clipped my bars and knocked me off. It was a pretty low speed crash, but I hit the ground quite hard and I'm feeling pretty battered today. I managed to finish the ride as planned, even though the weather was pretty grim.

Are London mini cab drivers the worst on the roads? They always seem to be in the wrong lane and they change direction and stop randomly, presumably as their sat nav's tell them Mad

Just to top things off, as I was straightening myself and my bike out and "having words" with the mini cab driver, an Audi driver who hadn't witnessed the accident took the time to stop, wind down his window and inform me that it was my own fault for not wearing brighter clothing Rolling Eyes . Needless to say, I thanked him for his kind insight Wink
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Hmm, the website has been updated with the "new" bike course, but the course that is showing is the same as the old course Rolling Eyes

The jpg file name is A4_Map_Bike_NEW.jpg too, so I suspect that someone has stuffed up posted the wrong file.

All fixed now Wink

The new route looks like the one that was posted on here previously, including Mirador del Rio Cool
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:
Whisk wrote:
iwaters wrote:
Nutrition guide has been updated:

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/lanzarote/athletes/nutrition/on-course-nutrition.aspx#axzz5BbHP2UcC

Placing of the bike aid stations seems to tally with the course maps that have been posted in recent days

Those distances would indicate that the Famara out-and-back is going to be on the return leg, as per the first map posted on here.

The special needs station says Los Valles, but based on the distance from Teguise, it looks like it's in the usual spot just before the switchback descent off Mirador de Haria. That always seems like a strange place to have it to me because I wouldn't have thought that a technical descent is the best place for people to be trying to take stuff out of a musette bag. There's usually someone who seems intent on getting their bag caught in their drivetrain Shocked

I like the special needs on top ,
your going slow so not much time lost and you can re stock if that's what you planned and settle in again on the decent.

I know what you mean I have seen a few going down hill with white bags swinging very close to their front wheels .

I have a quick pit stop unload and re start loaded up Wink

It looks like "special needs" is indeed at Los Valles and not at the café at Mirador de Haria.
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
I had a couple of (hopefully) temporary set-backs over the weekend.

On Friday, I was coming to the end of a really good swim session and as I pushed off the wall I felt a twinge in my calf. A couple of strokes later I got a terrible cramp in my calf. It's still feeling tender three days later. It feels fine on the bike, but I'm a bit reluctant to try running on it.

Then yesterday, I was about 10km into a 142km ride when I got knocked off my bike by a mini cab Mad . The driver pulled out to overtake me and then when he was alongside me, he stuck on his indicator and turned left. I took the corner with him, but the car clipped my bars and knocked me off. It was a pretty low speed crash, but I hit the ground quite hard and I'm feeling pretty battered today. I managed to finish the ride as planned, even though the weather was pretty grim.

Are London mini cab drivers the worst on the roads? They always seem to be in the wrong lane and they change direction and stop randomly, presumably as their sat nav's tell them Mad

Just to top things off, as I was straightening myself and my bike out and "having words" with the mini cab driver, an Audi driver who hadn't witnessed the accident took the time to stop, wind down his window and inform me that it was my own fault for not wearing brighter clothing Rolling Eyes . Needless to say, I thanked him for his kind insight Wink

Sorry to read all this. I have had the calf cramp when swimming often if I swim after a hard run session. Might be worth getting it looked at? I have never had problems and its recovered with a bit of massage but it can sometimes tear.

Taxi drivers in MK are a liability as well. Always doing something wrong.

Anyway the new bike course is out! Hurray! Same amount of climbing give or take a couple of metres. Same as the one posted recently. Just need a GPX fiel to load into BBS now!
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The run route map has been updated now too. It doesn't match the text, because it seems to have reverted to the 3-lap course used in 2015 - 1 lap of 21km, 2 laps of 10.5km Shocked
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have ruined it!

No Nazarat!!!!!!
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Stivrunning wrote:
Whisk wrote:
iwaters wrote:
Nutrition guide has been updated:

http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/lanzarote/athletes/nutrition/on-course-nutrition.aspx#axzz5BbHP2UcC

Placing of the bike aid stations seems to tally with the course maps that have been posted in recent days

Those distances would indicate that the Famara out-and-back is going to be on the return leg, as per the first map posted on here.

The special needs station says Los Valles, but based on the distance from Teguise, it looks like it's in the usual spot just before the switchback descent off Mirador de Haria. That always seems like a strange place to have it to me because I wouldn't have thought that a technical descent is the best place for people to be trying to take stuff out of a musette bag. There's usually someone who seems intent on getting their bag caught in their drivetrain Shocked

I like the special needs on top ,
your going slow so not much time lost and you can re stock if that's what you planned and settle in again on the decent.

I know what you mean I have seen a few going down hill with white bags swinging very close to their front wheels .

I have a quick pit stop unload and re start loaded up Wink

It looks like "special needs" is indeed at Los Valles and not at the café at Mirador de Haria.

Forget Lanza

really soz to here u got knocked off

I got t boned by a black cab some years back the bastard drove off

I think I would removed the AUDI drivers wing mirror for him to help him get even faster speeds on our roads.

all looks well and ready to rumble

we down to weeks now Cool
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
They have ruined it!

No Nazarat!!!!!!

On the one hand I feel like I am missing out and not earning a proper Lanza! On the other hand from what I have heard of it, good riddance!
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nazarat is only like most of the british roads at moment

no one mentioned the 2551 8300ft of climb

that going to hurt more than Nazart Did

its still a classic no matter what the course is ,the weather will see to that
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the tarmac on the new climb from the LZ1 to Teguise is that great, so I reckon we've probably swapped a rough flat section for a rough climb Wink
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spent ages trying to draw it in Garmin but I can't get it right! Coming up a few km short.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 24 of 38

Jump to: