Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2018 - TriTalk Reunion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SGreg




Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 955
Location: High Peak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that first climb looks a bit tough.

It's the original last descent and that was a long fun run down from well up in the hills. To climb up there straight out the water will be a whole lot of fun.

I don't remember it being too rough though? It was a lovely sweeping descent that I thoroughly enjoyed ...Maybe I was delirious at that point though?


Joking about Nazarat but it is a shame people are not going to experience just how awful that piece of road is...if you can call it road Laughing

Just glad to see that despite the ridiculous regulations they have managed to cobble something together that at least keeps the Iconic parts and the Spirit of the course. It's not quite as good as the original but could have been SOOOO much worse!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iwaters




Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 395

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I have so far for anyone interested:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/17932821

0.7km short
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whisk




Joined: 09 Jun 2005
Posts: 8562
Location: London

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Yeah that first climb looks a bit tough.

It's the original last descent and that was a long fun run down from well up in the hills. To climb up there straight out the water will be a whole lot of fun.

I don't remember it being too rough though? It was a lovely sweeping descent that I thoroughly enjoyed ...Maybe I was delirious at that point though?


Joking about Nazarat but it is a shame people are not going to experience just how awful that piece of road is...if you can call it road Laughing

Just glad to see that despite the ridiculous regulations they have managed to cobble something together that at least keeps the Iconic parts and the Spirit of the course. It's not quite as good as the original but could have been SOOOO much worse!


I reckon the first climb will be tough, but I was actually referring to the new climb after del Rio. The climb from the LZ1, through Teseguite to Teguise. Some of those smaller roads tend to be pretty ropey.
_________________
2016: Just riding my bike....
Hot Chillee ride captain (sponsored by Specialized, Sigma Sports, Wattbike, Le Marq, Wahoo, BOA, Sportique, Pro-Cycle Insurance, Maserati)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whisk




Joined: 09 Jun 2005
Posts: 8562
Location: London

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Here is what I have so far for anyone interested:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/17932821

0.7km short


That looks pretty good, although I think the Famara out-and-back needs to be on the return leg if the distances for the feed stations are correct.

I think that section is going to be a bit of a slog if the wind picks up during the day because you'll have to push into the wind on the downhill section and then ride back up the hill Mad
_________________
2016: Just riding my bike....
Hot Chillee ride captain (sponsored by Specialized, Sigma Sports, Wattbike, Le Marq, Wahoo, BOA, Sportique, Pro-Cycle Insurance, Maserati)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGreg




Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 955
Location: High Peak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see didn't noticed they had altered the bit prior to Teguise. Tbh I hated that bit such a long draggy climb. Maybe the new bit is more scenic?


Also didn't realise the out and back was on the way back! You are right that's going sting at that point! Physically and mentally.





Iwaters, Your Garmin goes a bit awry going up past the Haria windmills, it heads off on what seems to be a dirt track ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iwaters




Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 395

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
I see didn't noticed they had altered the bit prior to Teguise. Tbh I hated that bit such a long draggy climb. Maybe the new bit is more scenic?


Also didn't realise the out and back was on the way back! You are right that's going sting at that point! Physically and mentally.





Iwaters, Your Garmin goes a bit awry going up past the Haria windmills, it heads off on what seems to be a dirt track ?


Yeah didn't make sense but when I drew it on the main road it didn't match the map on the official site - wasn't enough bends. I have put the out and back on the way out which is wrong I think as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lloydy75




Joined: 21 Mar 2013
Posts: 110

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few stats for you all.

Been out for 7 days and now we know the course, a few stats from the ride today.

Give or take 100m missed from the start the first climb took me 40:22 to reach 350m @12k.
I turned right and headed to the top of Los Valles climb, which took me 1:07 with a vicious northerly!! Which apart from 500m is the exact route on race day after the El Golfo/Timanfaya loop.

I reached the top in 1:51 total for 40.6k and then turned around and retraced the route and completed the home run in 1:00:30! 50 mins quicker!!

The wind plays such a big part out here as you all know! Tri bars are a must.
_________________
IM Lanza 13,15,18
IM Wales 13,15
70.3 Mallorca 14,16
Cotswold 113 14
Ocean Lava Wales /Lanza 14
70.3 Stafford 15
IM 70.3 Dublin 15 16 17
Challenge Salou 16
The Championship 17
Gdynia 17
70.3 Lanza 16
70.3 Weymouth 70.3 17
70.3 Marbs 18
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1545

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:

I reckon the first climb will be tough, but I was actually referring to the new climb after del Rio. The climb from the LZ1, through Teseguite to Teguise. Some of those smaller roads tend to be pretty ropey.

I rode that stretch back at the end of Jan. From memory the roads were pretty good.

The initial bit of the LZ404 parallel to the LZ1 was pretty rubbish, but as soon as you turned right to Teseguite it was nice tarmac. The bit parallel to the LZ1 was actually closed off to traffic after that turn off, as they were resurfacing, so they might have done the whole stretch by the time you race.

As I'm not racing, I'd never really noticed before, but it seems like there's loads of points that the flow of riders have the potential to cross. All the early spots are probably not an issue as the faster people wont be back at that point until all slower riders are through, but the timing of rejoining the LZ10 after the above stretch on the LZ404 would seem to be right in the the zone of faster people wanting to fly through whilst slower people are still making their way towards the Haria climb?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whisk




Joined: 09 Jun 2005
Posts: 8562
Location: London

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Whisk wrote:

I reckon the first climb will be tough, but I was actually referring to the new climb after del Rio. The climb from the LZ1, through Teseguite to Teguise. Some of those smaller roads tend to be pretty ropey.

I rode that stretch back at the end of Jan. From memory the roads were pretty good.

The initial bit of the LZ404 parallel to the LZ1 was pretty rubbish, but as soon as you turned right to Teseguite it was nice tarmac. The bit parallel to the LZ1 was actually closed off to traffic after that turn off, as they were resurfacing, so they might have done the whole stretch by the time you race.

As I'm not racing, I'd never really noticed before, but it seems like there's loads of points that the flow of riders have the potential to cross. All the early spots are probably not an issue as the faster people wont be back at that point until all slower riders are through, but the timing of rejoining the LZ10 after the above stretch on the LZ404 would seem to be right in the the zone of faster people wanting to fly through whilst slower people are still making their way towards the Haria climb?


That's good intel on the road surface. The old route to Tahiche on the LZ1 and then up that drag towards Nazaret was always a bit of a slog, so hopefully this'll be a more pleasant route.

Regarding the routes crossing, I reckon the fast guys will cross with the backmarkers as they come out of the volcano road, but it should be relatively easy to marshal as the faster riders will be going straight on, so easier to hold riders coming out of the side road. I think those backmarkers would be pretty tight on the first cut-off though.

I think the only other crossing would be where the LZ404 meets the LZ10. There will be quite a lot of riders crossing each other there. In 2010 or 2012 they diverted around the rough Nazaret road by taking us back into Teguise, so the courses crossed in Teguise and again at the roundabout with the road from Famara. I did a 60min swim and a 6 hour bike that year and there was a steady stream of riders coming in the opposite direction when I got there.
_________________
2016: Just riding my bike....
Hot Chillee ride captain (sponsored by Specialized, Sigma Sports, Wattbike, Le Marq, Wahoo, BOA, Sportique, Pro-Cycle Insurance, Maserati)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whisk




Joined: 09 Jun 2005
Posts: 8562
Location: London

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weighing everything up, I reckon the new route will be slower than the old route.

I think the first climb will be quite tough, especially if the wind is strong. You get some time back on the fast descent into Uga, but overall I think we'll be slower from the start to Yaiza.

El Golfo and Timanfaya will obviously be the same.

The volcano road from Mancha Blanca to Masdache will be fast because it's pretty flat and we'll have the wind behind us. The LZ30 to Teguise is going to be a bit of a slog into a headwind on a rolling road. On the old route, you made a lot of the west-east progress into the headwind with the fast descents from Mancha Blanca to La Santa and again from Soo to Famara, so you covered a lot of that ground without too much effort.

I think the new section up the LZ404 via Teseguite will be a better ride than old route along the LZ1 to Tahiche, but probably a tougher climb and more altitude gained there overall.

As I've said before, I don't think the out-and-back on the Famara road will be much fun. You're pretty much guaranteed a headwind on the outward leg, so you've got to push on hard to make any decent progress on the downhill. Then when you turn, you obviously got a tailwind, but you're riding uphill on a pretty dull road.

There probably won't be much in it and a lot will depend on the wind on the day, but overall I reckon it'll be a bit slower.
_________________
2016: Just riding my bike....
Hot Chillee ride captain (sponsored by Specialized, Sigma Sports, Wattbike, Le Marq, Wahoo, BOA, Sportique, Pro-Cycle Insurance, Maserati)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
team bungles




Joined: 31 May 2006
Posts: 203
Location: Kent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I trained for Lanza last year I did some riding with Mick from Bueno Bikes who is very knowledgeable. He did a recon of the new route on 31/3 which is on Strava. I asked whether he thought the new route was easier/harder than the old and he posted the following,

"The new course is harder for 1st 15km. Easier 15-80km. 80-125km the same. Easier 125-135km. Harder 135-150km. Last 30km the same. All in all I'd say new course will be marginally quicker in a North East wind. It will also be easier to make the cut off in the middle of the bike leg, assuming cut off time remain the same"

Although I'm not doing Lanza this year I have ridden out there and that first bit up the donkey track to Conil is a real slog and harder than the old Calero route. As ever the wind strength and direction will play a big part. Last year the usual tailwind along the LZ2 never materialised and was a nasty cross wind so you just never know.

I think the new course is comparable but the Famara out and back seems a bit mean and part of the attraction of Lanza was its circular one lap bike course.

Good luck!
_________________
Feel the fear then do it anyway
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iwaters




Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 395

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All else being equal best bike split puts the new course 15 mins faster (although my GPX file is not 100% accurate).

Had a bit of a worry over the middle cut off, but I will be fine. I'll hope to have the swim done in just over 60 mins, probably will faff a bit in T1. So if I am out on the bike by 8:20 it gives me about 4 hours to get there. I am hoping to be clocking an average speed around 24-25km/h so should be there by 11:30 ish.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whisk




Joined: 09 Jun 2005
Posts: 8562
Location: London

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
All else being equal best bike split puts the new course 15 mins faster (although my GPX file is not 100% accurate).

Had a bit of a worry over the middle cut off, but I will be fine. I'll hope to have the swim done in just over 60 mins, probably will faff a bit in T1. So if I am out on the bike by 8:20 it gives me about 4 hours to get there. I am hoping to be clocking an average speed around 24-25km/h so should be there by 11:30 ish.


Out of interest, what base time is the 15 minute saving based on?

If you're expecting to be out of the water in around the hour mark, I think you'd be having a really bad day if it takes you over 4 hours to cover the 80km to the first cut-off. You might be off your average pace by the top of the first climb, but you'll get back on track by the time you've ridden down the hill to El Golfo!
_________________
2016: Just riding my bike....
Hot Chillee ride captain (sponsored by Specialized, Sigma Sports, Wattbike, Le Marq, Wahoo, BOA, Sportique, Pro-Cycle Insurance, Maserati)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whisk




Joined: 09 Jun 2005
Posts: 8562
Location: London

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are people's thoughts about it reverting to a 3 lap run course?

I think the 3 lap version is better for support as it gives your family and friends more opportunities to see you, but it can get quite congested at the finish end of the course. Apart from the aid stations, there aren't really any dividers between runners going in different directions, so when there are lots of people on the course it can get quite chaotic.

I do quite like the idea of doing a big lap first though, because psychologically it's good to know that you've done half of the run when you get to the end of the first lap.
_________________
2016: Just riding my bike....
Hot Chillee ride captain (sponsored by Specialized, Sigma Sports, Wattbike, Le Marq, Wahoo, BOA, Sportique, Pro-Cycle Insurance, Maserati)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stivrunning




Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Posts: 1236
Location: up north

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after all the hype of the new bike course I missed the back to 3 laps on run

I personally find the fewer laps the better but 3 laps will make it busy again around town
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 25 of 38
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.