Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2018 - TriTalk Reunion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSlowOne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:
Welcome George

And get up those hills!

Thanks Davem. I'll need to lose some (lots of) weight first lol
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeA wrote:
Davem wrote:
Welcome George

And get up those hills!

Thanks Davem. I'll need to lose some (lots of) weight first lol

Don't lose too much weight or you'll get blown away by the strong winds Wink
TheSlowOne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true Whisk. We were over there three weeks ago for two weeks. Winds were about 20 to 25mph every day lol

Last edited by TheSlowOne on Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking waaay ahead (probably not a good thing) but there are two resorts for choice aren't there, la Santa and another? I guess you could do a Wed-Wed stay at these?
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean for training

Sands Beach Resort in Costa Teguise

or PDC Cool
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:
do you mean for training

Sands Beach Resort in Costa Teguise

or PDC Cool

Sorry no, I meant for the race. If (big if) I did this, we'd make it a family holiday but I'd rather the race was in the middle.
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to stay in Playa Del Carmen then.

Las Santa is on the Arse end of the Island, no where near anything! And worse of all its full of bloody triathletes, Ironman and cyclists!

PDC Is a big resort town, its a bit of a crap hole but its better than La Santa. And this is the Race Venue Start/Finish and Transition. Its a very fun place to be on race week and I really enjoyed it. IM Finisher shirt got us quite a few free drinks!

La Santa is just where you go to register and get the briefing. So you will have to go and see how terrible it is.
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
You want to stay in Playa Del Carmen then.

Las Santa is on the Arse end of the Island, no where near anything! And worse of all its full of bloody triathletes, Ironman and cyclists!

PDC Is a big resort town, its a bit of a crap hole but its better than La Santa. And this is the Race Venue Start/Finish and Transition. Its a very fun place to be on race week and I really enjoyed it. IM Finisher shirt got us quite a few free drinks!

La Santa is just where you go to register and get the briefing. So you will have to go and see how terrible it is.

Cheers mate, I do remember something about it being split over two resorts. So PDC is a base for family? Don't have to wander far, that kind of thing?
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh plenty of family hotels etc near swim start

grande beach
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:
yeh plenty of family hotels etc near swim start

grande beach

thanks Cool
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and if you base your family at La Santa they will have to drive/bus over to see the race, which is far from ideal.

PDC is the centre of it all and is a busy bustling resort town. Tons of hotels villas apartments etc... they can spend the day by the pool and just pop their head up to see you race.

The Mara is along the seafront so any hotel or villa close to that means spectating is a doddle. Its the perfect event to combine a holiday with.

Its not the Bahamas so don't expect too much but its not bad at all. There are some pretty UN family parts after dark that my single team mates managed to locate but nothing in your face, and invisible during the day!
TheSlowOne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Playa Blanca on the south coast. It's about a 30 minute drive from PDC
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Yeah and if you base your family at La Santa they will have to drive/bus over to see the race, which is far from ideal.

PDC is the centre of it all and is a busy bustling resort town. Tons of hotels villas apartments etc... they can spend the day by the pool and just pop their head up to see you race.

The Mara is along the seafront so any hotel or villa close to that means spectating is a doddle. Its the perfect event to combine a holiday with.

Its not the Bahamas so don't expect too much but its not bad at all. There are some pretty UN family parts after dark that my single team mates managed to locate but nothing in your face, and invisible during the day!

Great info thanks mate Cool Mrs FP hasnt driven for a while so any base that's walkable would be great and an apartment or villa would be great as little one likes a room of her own.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add some balance to the La Santa hatefest Rolling Eyes I'm staying at CLS for the 6th time for IM and it works really well for me. If PDC was the only choice then I doubt if I'd have persuaded Mrs W to go back so many times. I'm sure there are some nice hotels and apartments in PDC, but the strip just cries out "Brits on the pi$$", cheap package holidays.

We usually stay in the new apartments, which are probably 4/5 star standard and very nice. The kitchen is well enough equipped to cook proper meals in or there's 3 or 4 reasonable restaurants on site. There's more decent restaurants a short walk away in La Santa village. The sports facilities on site are obviously excellent. You're right on the bike course, so you're straight out onto quiet roads without having to worry about the traffic leaving PDC. You've got three 50m pools to choose from or the lagoon for swimming and plenty of trails and a 400m track for running. There's bike mechanics on site for any repairs or adjustments to your bike, or the Pro Cycle shop in La Santa village is excellent and very helpful.

As far as logistics go, I think it works pretty well. They run free a daily bus service to PDC every morning from Tuesday to Friday for swim practice on the course. You're obviously on site for registration, the briefing and the pre- and post-event dinners. The shuttle service to racking on the Friday is very easy. Your bike goes on a truck and if you book the right buses there isn't too much hanging around.

The athlete buses on race day are stress-free and take about 30 minutes. They run spectator buses slightly later for the start and then during the day for anyone who wants to go over later in the day. The course goes right past CLS, so some people hang out there to watch the race go by and then head over to PDC later. You don't have to worry about collecting your bike from transition after the race because bikes for CLS are marked with a sticker and automatically transported back after the race. You just collect it from the gym the next morning. The shuttle buses back to CLS are quite regular, or a taxi is pretty cheap.

You're obviously paying a premium for all of the sporting facilities, so if your OH and family aren't sporty then you're paying a lot for something you're not using. It tends to be a bit cloudier on the north of the island too, so while PDC is usually hot and sunny all day, it sometimes takes a while for the sun to break through at CLS.

I think the race generally isn't that spectator-friendly when compared to other IM races, especially with the 2 lap run. From PDC you'd basically see the swim and then the bike out, then have to wait for your athlete to ride 180km, see them on the outward leg of the run and then wait for them to run up to 30km before you see them again. I guess the advantage of having accommodation in PDC is that you at least have the option of going back there and you're not hanging around in the sun for hours.
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whisk you "snob" Wink

PDC is no where near as bad as you paint a picture ,I agree PDC is your typical holiday resort but it is not on par with your typical brits abroad you see on tv.we stay just behind the main strip and we have never had any issues its cleaner than the UK for starters and you can eat and drink anything you want .
we go at least twice a year to lanza , usually stay at PDC with my other half and I can still train and then enjoy the holiday things
I stay at CLS with training buddies and it is fantastic value for money as a training camp and make the most of fantastic pools etc

the only issue with PDC is people asking you if you have eaten as you walk down main strip and its a polite have you eaten not the hard sell approach, but if you cross over they don,t bother u
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: