Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2018 - TriTalk Reunion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch is what my big toes say today

who said it was an easier bike course Confused

personally i found the changes made the bike course tougher for me

the wind seemed to be allover the place

2439 m of climb 180.65km

the famara section was actually not to bad ,the section up teseguite broke me

anyway finished job done and in time to watch footy

hope you all got the results u wanted

"well done"
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished in 15:07. Gutted with the time - first three miles of the run were fine then got hampered by calf cramp and a groin strain. Couldnít run more than 200m without stopping to walk.

Thought the bike was tougher than 2015 - it seemed like a constant headwind.

I saw the guy on the P5 too. Also saw a guy with an expensive pointy aero helmet, but with a GoPro sticking out the top!

Enjoyed the day out, but didnít get the result I wanted - was looking for 13.5 hours.
Simon G.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was following the live video feed on and off (concentrating on the leaders of course - but still great to watch) and they seemed to reckon the new bike course was slightly tougher overall.

I could see from the athlete tracker Ozzie that the run wasn't going as expected - but it's a big ask after what's gone before and you still smashed your previous time - so well done!

Well done to everyone who made it. A fantastic achievement and as the weeks go by you'll appreciate that more and more. That's what usually happens to me anyway - whereas the year I made the (perfectly sensible at the time) decision to quit - that just gnawed away at me. Look forward to any reports Very Happy
duckhen

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a huge well done to everyone out there. That includes any supporters who cheered,clapped and drank their way thru the race.

It's a tough race for sure enjoy some down time and the Gossinator smashed it!
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done guys. Ozzie, donít beat yourself up mate, we all have races that donít go how we wanted. You stuck it out and got the job done Cool
Whisk

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough day out for me. I finished in 13:01 (my Garmin ran out of battery at about 11.5 hrs or else I might have pushed harder to go <13hr Mad ).

After a week of relatively calm weather, it was windy from the off. I think the wind was coming from the NW, so felt like a head/cross wind for he whole ride. It wasn't particularly hot or sunny for most of the ride, but felt pretty hot on the run.

I had a reasonable swim (1:05), but swallowed quite a bit of water, which left me feeling nauseous for most of the rest of the race. I thought the new course felt harder than the old course, at least with that wind direction. It just seemed to be relentless and whereas with the old course you got to Mirador del Rio with 120km done and only the drag up to Nazaret to go, now you get there at 105km and you've got 2 climbs to go. I punctured at the dead turn just before the 2nd time through Teguise, which wasn't ideal either. I started the run feeling generally pretty crap, so it was just a case of doing the Ironman shuffle and getting it done.

It's still an awesome race, even with the course changes. That was my 6th Lanza and 10th IM, so I think I'm going back into retirement, at least until someone else talks me into entering another race Wink
Whisk

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lutterworth1 wrote:
Interesting ride out today, stopped at a couple of cafes and the locals are furious over the length and positioning of the road closures, he was saying the locals are talking about blocking the route etc. Allegedly they were only told about the complete road closures 6 days ago, a big conference has had to be cancelled and other festivals etc are all In jeopardy, thereís a lot of disquiet about IM this year, I think itís the complete road closure thatís screwing people up, a couple we were chatting to have been told they have to vacate the villa at 5.30 in the morning for an 17.00 flight otherwise thereís no way they are gonna get to the airport!

Could be an interesting day!

I got the impression that the new course was designed so that the main resorts weren't cut-off from the airport, rather than necessarily facilitating free movement from the locals. There were a lot of locals out on the roads to support. The road through Teguise was awesome! I guess just like RideLondon and the Tour de Yorkshire, some people will embrace the race and make the most of it, while others will bemoan the fact that it's preventing them from going about their normal business.

I don't think it was widely publicised, but John Lunt (founder of Human Race and race director for London 2012 Olympics) was co-director for the race this year. I guess Kenneth will be retiring soon and they want some continuity when he goes.
Lloydy75

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly not feeling too bad today apart from a caffeine/gel hangover feel this morning!

Had the swim a bit long at 4.2k on my watch, but it's the same for all. So much for a calm day as the winds got up on the bike providing a tough day especially the new drag up to Teguise. The run was the run and the good thing about a mass start was seeing the time on the last turn and realising that if I put in a good effort on the last 5k I'd get a Lanza and IM PB! Came in with a 12:23, which I was delighted with especially as I've been concentrating on 70.3s over the last 3 years.

With regards to the new set up on the beach, I think it works well enough with all the help available in the transition area and as for the course, Lanza is always going to be tough wherever they send us!!

Still a quality race with that little bit extra that makes it stand out from the others!
Cotswold 113 14
Ocean Lava Wales /Lanza 14
70.3 Stafford 15
IM 70.3 Dublin 15 16 17
Challenge Salou 16
The Championship 17
Gdynia 17
70.3 Lanza 16
70.3 Weymouth 70.3 17
70.3 Marbs 18
tin pot

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know of any race playback videos? Iím having no luck with Ironman.eu and bing.

Ozzie1973 wrote:
Also saw a guy with an expensive pointy aero helmet, but with a GoPro sticking out the top!

Hilarious! Thereís something very tri about that.

Well done for gutting it out.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Anyone know of any race playback videos? Iím having no luck with Ironman.eu and bing.

The official video would have been shown at the awards dinner last night, so they'll probably release it on the IM Lanza Facebook page today
curry

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done to everyone who toughed it out

2016: Enduroman Continuous Triple DNF (61:30 after 2x maras); JOGLE in 12 days

2017: The Oner (DNF); Deca UK ironman (10x1) DNS

2018: IM Lanzarote (DNS)
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... so ... 2019 ... who is already thinking of going through it all again?
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie1973 wrote:

year off from lanza next year trained 5 out of last 6 years with 4 finishes

need a winter off found it a hard winter this year

possible 2020 then got 5 in

not impressed with same medal as last year with just different date on strap
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie1973 wrote:

My papers are signed for 2020. Will try and not get myself hospitalized a week before next time.
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Ozzie1973 wrote:

My papers are signed for 2020. Will try and not get myself hospitalized a week before next time.

soon be ere Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 36 of 38

Jump to: